Decarboxylate RSO In Pressure Cooker

Hello pressure cooking CCO seekers......lol.

You do not need the complication and imprecise;
Temp
Pressure
No visual
With pressure cooker.

Many way better way to de carb,
Way better extracts,cheaper appliances with better control.
Imho n fact,,

Hello pressure cooking CCO seekers......lol.

You do not need the complication and imprecise;
Temp
Pressure
No visual
With pressure cooker.

Many way better way to de carb,
Way better extracts,cheaper appliances with better control.
Imho n fact,,

Cryptic, belittling, and unhelpful.

If you want to contribute, maybe you should try listing some of the "way better" methods you espouse.

Hi Everyone,

I had this thought today...I have read so much about how to decarboxylate RSO and that the temp that it should be done at is around 240 to 250 degrees for 30 minutes... The problem i have seen in many post is the inconsistency in keeping that temp, but it can be done pretty easy as I see it...

What if you made your RSO like normal (whatever works for you) then take it and put it in a canning jar (top and lid of course) put that in your pressure cooker with a few inches of water and pressure cook it at 15 psi for 30 min...perfectly decarboxylate RSO

at 15 psi at 0 elevation the water boils at yes you guessed it 250.... at higher elevations you will need a slightly higher pressure adjust accordingly... Remember that 14.69 on this chart is 0 because pressure cooker gauges are zeroed at 14.69... What are your thoughts...another added benefit might be that the product will also be vacuumed sealed for longer storage....

water-pressure-boiling-temperature-2.png
Curious.... if you have your material in a sealed jar, what is the benefit of a pressure cooker?

I had some lab test run on some buds that were PC decarbed for 90 minutes. The PC cannabinoid test is back and a test before decarb is posted HERE. There is a terpene test ordered that is not complete that will hopefully be ready tomorrow. I have a before decarb terpene test for comparison there also.

Check it out. Post your thoughts.

Best

Rick Simpson Oil. But most just call it CO (cannabis oil)
Too be clear Rick Simpson Oil uses high proof alcohol to target and remove THC and other beneficial compounds found in the material. Then the alcohol is removed through heat usually. This last part is extraordinarily dangerous and should only be done outside away from open flame. If you chose to make this, read up on it from multiple sources! I use electrical heat sources on the patio table. Mr. Simpson seems to like a rice cooker. I have used a crock pot as a double boiler, an electric fondue pot, and a simple hot plate. No open flame!!!!

Decarboxolation. Please know, this part of the process is done well before any alcohol is used. Its just dried, finger ground bud and sugar leaves.Personally I have never had issues with just placing the material on a baking sheet, or two and slapping it in the oven. Use a second thermometer if you need to, even move it around the oven shelf to make sure there are no fluctuations. I always decarboxilate before i make my oil, because when I'm done, I'm DONE. This method can take a while

It appears that some folks are confusing infused oil with RSO. I'm not trying to throw stones, please bear with...

What i mean about infused oil is taking dried material, mixing it with coconut oil, and cooking it for a while. I decarb. before hand again, but you really dont need to if you watch the heat and relative time while the oil mixed material is cooking. That chart at the beginning of the thread is really quite cool. I use a double boiler and a digital thermometer with a wired probe to verify my temp. I use coconut oil because I was told it has a higher bioavailability than other oils, AND when the material is strained from the oil, the clean oil is then thrown in the fridge so it can harden to a perfect light green solid, just like butter. Its easy to dose, and has a relativity high smoke point (there's still plant matter in it). You can use any cooking oil. This sort of oil is nowhere near as strong as RSO, but it can ruin a day if you use too much. In my opinion, there is nothing better for cooking.

Decarboxylation of Marijuana using Pressure Cooker.Decarboxylation of Marijuana using Pressure Cooker.
Experimenting with decarboxylation of raw marijuana material it was decided to use the pressure cooker. The internal temperate reaches 240 F almost ideal for decarboxylation. Four batches convinced me the technique worked. How well?

Procedure. Pick the marijuana material. No need to dry.Trim away the larger leaves and stems. Loosely stuff the end product into liter jars. Install canning lids. Place in Pressure Canner and cook for 15 PSI for one hour. Let cool. Store in refrigerator. Use as required. No rot or mold can take place since inside of the jar is pressure steamed vacuum sealed. durgan.org | Garden Journal Started 2011. Garden Journal, Brantford Ontatrio Zone 5. Property 0.4 Acre with large vegetable garden and fruit trees. Produce is pressure canned, dehydrated, and cold room stored. Objective is to avoid commercial processed food.

Decarboxylation of Marijuana using Pressure Cooker.Decarboxylation of Marijuana using Pressure Cooker.
Experimenting with decarboxylation of raw marijuana material it was decided to use the pressure cooker. The internal temperate reaches 240 F almost ideal for decarboxylation. Four batches convinced me the technique worked. How well?

Procedure. Pick the marijuana material. No need to dry.Trim away the larger leaves and stems. Loosely stuff the end product into liter jars. Install canning lids. Place in Pressure Canner and cook for 15 PSI for one hour. Let cool. Store in refrigerator. Use as required. No rot or mold can take place since inside of the jar is pressure steamed vacuum sealed. durgan.org | Garden Journal Started 2011. Garden Journal, Brantford Ontatrio Zone 5. Property 0.4 Acre with large vegetable garden and fruit trees. Produce is pressure canned, dehydrated, and cold room stored. Objective is to avoid commercial processed food.

Thank you for posting this. We believe you'll get more complete decarb if you run it for closer to 150 minutes. I know with my Instant Pot, using carrier oil and undecarbed buds, I get almost complete decarb at that 150 minutes, and I've checked with a hot oil bath.

But I'd just been wondering if I could decarb dry buds in this manner. I'm curious, how did they turn out when you used fresh produce? We've been working with a process to make an oil on the day of harvest, and it requires you to boil the water out of the mix before decarb really gets going. That process takes close to that 150 minutes to get to complete decarb too.

I suppose what I'm suggesting is you might want to consider a longer cook time. The Dutch have pretty much proven that the best complete decarb results will come at 235 F for 110 minutes.

I love the fact that it's pressure sealed. Wouldn't that suggest you wouldn't need to refrigerate it? Gosh, I wish I'd paid closer attention to my grandma when she was canning.

Ahhh.... to slow the progression of natural decarb.

Thank you for your comments. I am an expert at pressure canning. It does take a bit of knowledge and much on the Internet is nonsense. Usually do around 500 liter jars each year of plant food, and never had one spoil. I have measured the temperature at 15 PSI (close to sea level) and found it to be just under 240F, which would be ideal for decarboxylating. I am in the doldrums now, since I have no fresh material but should be in clover in about a month. Eliminating the drying process certainly reduces most of the processing work.

As mentioned the storage is much simplified by pressure canning. Th jars after pressure canning, keep at room temperature for ages. I at present use the plant product usually under two years. I will try 235 F at 15 PSI for 110 minutes.

I want to make cold tinctures using alcohol, since I don't smoke. The Cold Method.
The cold method is the easiest way to brew marijuana tinctures because it doesn’t involve any cooking. All you have to do is mix the ingredients together and set it aside to brew. Here’s how to do it.

First, simply break your cannabis up into some smaller pieces and place it in a glass mason jar. Freeze it for a few hours. You can use as much or as little marijuana as you like to strain into your tincture. Just make sure that the bud you use is dry. Fresh, moist weed just doesn’t make for good tinctures. I will use pressure canning for decarboxylating.

The next step is to pour in enough ethyl alcohol to keep the plant material covered. We suggest Everclear but you can use other high-proof alcohols if you prefer. You can expect to use approximately one gram of marijuana per one fluid ounce of ethyl alcohol. That said, the weed to alcohol ratio doesn’t have to be exact. Just make sure the marijuana is covered.

After you’ve mixed the ingredients in a jar, screw the lid on, shake it vigorously for a minute or two, then store the concoction in your freezer. The jar should stay there for up to 5 days. Don’t worry, the jar won’t break or shatter due to the expansion that occurs when liquids solidify. Alcohol has a much lower freezing point than water and will remain in the liquid state throughout this process.

Once or twice a day for those 5 days, take the jar out of the freezer and give it a good shake. Over time, you’ll see the plant matter start to dissolve. After roughly five days of storage in the freezer and multiple shakes every day, you’ve reached the end of the process. Now just strain the tincture through a cheesecloth, metal tea strainer, or silk screen into a bowl. Dispose of the leftover solid plant material and pour the liquid tincture into a small dark dropper bottle or two. It really is that simple!

More excellent information! :laughtwo: Wait until we get blogs back.

My second attempt at extractions was such a tincture. Incredibly simple to do. It just occurred to me that this would be an excellent way to get a THCA tincture.

I'm not a fan of the alcohol burn. Of course, add the tincture to a drink and that becomes moot, doesn't it? Through the gut though...... the value of a tincture is the instant effects of sublingual administration.

Hmmmm.... you have me thinking I could give tinctures another look.

Too be clear Rick Simpson Oil uses high proof alcohol to target and remove THC and other beneficial compounds found in the material. Then the alcohol is removed through heat usually. This last part is extraordinarily dangerous and should only be done outside away from open flame. If you chose to make this, read up on it from multiple sources! I use electrical heat sources on the patio table. Mr. Simpson seems to like a rice cooker. I have used a crock pot as a double boiler, an electric fondue pot, and a simple hot plate. No open flame!!!!

Decarboxolation. Please know, this part of the process is done well before any alcohol is used. Its just dried, finger ground bud and sugar leaves.Personally I have never had issues with just placing the material on a baking sheet, or two and slapping it in the oven. Use a second thermometer if you need to, even move it around the oven shelf to make sure there are no fluctuations. I always decarboxilate before i make my oil, because when I'm done, I'm DONE. This method can take a while

It appears that some folks are confusing infused oil with RSO. I'm not trying to throw stones, please bear with...

What i mean about infused oil is taking dried material, mixing it with coconut oil, and cooking it for a while. I decarb. before hand again, but you really dont need to if you watch the heat and relative time while the oil mixed material is cooking. That chart at the beginning of the thread is really quite cool. I use a double boiler and a digital thermometer with a wired probe to verify my temp. I use coconut oil because I was told it has a higher bioavailability than other oils, AND when the material is strained from the oil, the clean oil is then thrown in the fridge so it can harden to a perfect light green solid, just like butter. Its easy to dose, and has a relativity high smoke point (there's still plant matter in it). You can use any cooking oil. This sort of oil is nowhere near as strong as RSO, but it can ruin a day if you use too much. In my opinion, there is nothing better for cooking.

Forgive my negligence Stltoed, I can't believe I never got you a response. :hug:

We're all familiar with the differences between concentrated oil and infused oils. If you're looking for a serious infused oil that may rival RSO for medicinal value check out the Fresh Harvest Oil. The basic recipe is 400 grams of fresh buds to a liter of carrier oil and 2 TBS of liquid sunflower lecithin, but I make mine double strength. At triple strength I don't believe RSO could surpass it. Certainly RSO will have a higher concentration of cannabinoids, but for medicinal efficacy I don't think RSO can match the terpene power of FHO.

I must bow to all of your knowledge (all of you), for I know nothing about this side of cannabis. :adore:

But it is interesting reading. Maybe one day I'll learn what Sue and others forgot. :reading420magazine:

I'll stick around and see if I can pick up some tips.

Forgive my negligence Stltoed, I can't believe I never got you a response. :hug:

We're all familiar with the differences between concentrated oil and infused oils. If you're looking for a serious infused oil that may rival RSO for medicinal value check out the Fresh Harvest Oil. The basic recipe is 400 grams of fresh buds to a liter of carrier oil and 2 TBS of liquid sunflower lecithin, but I make mine double strength. At triple strength I don't believe RSO could surpass it. Certainly RSO will have a higher concentration of cannabinoids, but for medicinal efficacy I don't think RSO can match the terpene power of FHO.
No sweat. Thanks for getting back me. It sounded like some folks were mixing up the name RSO with infused.

Curious.... if you have your material in a sealed jar, what is the benefit of a pressure cooker?
The sealed jar prevent the pressure cooking from being relevant. The jar makes the contents not ‘see’,the outside pressure’

Further. Decaroboxlyazarion ...is not at all just heating the weed for xx minutes at xxx temperature.
Decarb is freeing the thc from the thc -a bond.
This is a chemical bond. Therefore it must confirm to,the thermodynamic laws in order to,achieve the desired, published, pepeatable results. Namely,the removal, or breaking of any, and every carboxl bond ever to see earth.
As such the thermal energy is one input into our process.
The broken carboxl bond creates carbon dioxide , a gas.
Water, inthe form of steam is also,created.
You must allow,the effluent, the exhaust, the canned carbon dioxide and water vapor out,of,the process vessel.
As the process vessel for decarbolizarion must be vented, logically, to,the atmosphere. Therefore, you can’t nor desire to put weed , ever into sealed jar for decarb. Further , decarbing at constant or elevated external pressure is superfluous.

Old bear has a line of blue tooth enables process jars for,use. Or just place weed into process vessel, heat contents , let’s exhasut escape. Folks decarbing weed is like toasting bread. You can do it. Si, tu ..se peude..
The escaping gas let’s you know when it’s done..

Btw, once decarbed... use the weed in the next process, quickly...
The decarbed weed has raw thc, from the thc-a exposed. In fact all,the cannabinoids are stored as a carboxl group.
So all,the xxx-a stuff we want . Is now free to use, as in extract.
But now it can combine with oxygen, an water in the exposed air.. it’s rusting so,to,speak.
Dump,it into oil or ethanol soon.. chilling to below freezing .. limits the re combination of the thc you just worked for, to less useful molecules..

Or, don’t decarb or don’t decarb completely. If your consuming daily thc-a. That stays inside you . The next doses. Of real thc , activate the thc-a and the Cbd-a in your system. Old bear was absolutely right..
ll,cannainoids are food..and good..lol

LVMarc42

Your assumptions indicate a lack of knowledge regarding pressure canning. Almost all the air inside the pressure canner is removed, since steam pressure is not allowed to build up until the chamber has been well vented, and this includes the jars which have loose or unsealed tops. When the cooking process is finished the jars are sealed by atmospheric pressure pressing down on the tops, since the pressure canner returns to atmospheic pressure as it cools (15 PSI at sea level).

Also empirical evidence indicates that the product is decarboxylated by testing on imbibers, both by smoking and ingesting canna butter.

The sealed jar prevent the pressure cooking from being relevant. The jar makes the contents not ‘see’,the outside pressure’

Further. Decaroboxlyazarion ...is not at all just heating the weed for xx minutes at xxx temperature.
Decarb is freeing the thc from the thc -a bond.
This is a chemical bond. Therefore it must confirm to,the thermodynamic laws in order to,achieve the desired, published, pepeatable results. Namely,the removal, or breaking of any, and every carboxl bond ever to see earth.
As such the thermal energy is one input into our process.
The broken carboxl bond creates carbon dioxide , a gas.
You must allow,the effluent, the exhaust, the canned carbon dioxide and water vapor out,of,the process vessel.
As the process vessel for decarbolizarion must be vented, logically, to,the atmosphere. Therefore, you can’t nor desire to put weed , ever into sealed jar for decarb. Further , decarbing at constant or elevated external pressure is superfluous.

Old bear has a line of blue tooth enables process jars for,use. Or just place weed into process vessel, heat contents , let’s exhasut escape. Folks decarbing weed is like toasting bread. You can do it. Si, tu ..se peude..
The escaping gas let’s you know when it’s done..

Btw, once decarbed... use the weed in the next process, quickly...
The decarbed weed has raw thc, from the thc-a exposed. In fact all,the cannabinoids are stored as a carboxl group.
So all,the xxx-a stuff we want . Is now free to use, as in extract.
But now it can combine with oxygen, an water in the exposed air.. it’s rusting so,to,speak.
Dump,it into oil or ethanol soon.. chilling to below freezing .. limits the re combination of the thc you just worked for, to less useful molecules..

Or, don’t decarb or don’t decarb completely. If your consuming daily thc-a. That stays inside you . The next doses. Of real thc , activate the thc-a and the Cbd-a in your system. Old bear was absolutely right..
That was amazing. Thank you.

I have 2 harvests this month... I will circle back to drill you for info (if that's cool with you) when its time to deal with the left overs. Thank you so much again!

I am confused on using pressure cooker.

Is it best to put cannabis in small jar with lid to decarb ? It's too hot in Reno to use oven & I want to make a tincture. I'm fine with some THCA but want CBD. Unknown strain/s as a gift. (some flower, some trim) Pain relief is my goal.

The current posts are suggesting I should up the CBD more than the 1:1 I currently use. I do supplement with CBD tincture as needed. Have made a few tinctures with RSO and CBD isolate, plus made a oil that I spray on topically. Looking for easy ideas.

Am slowly helping friends with their needs too, amazing plant. Thanks in advance.

I am confused on using pressure cooker.

Is it best to put cannabis in small jar with lid to decarb ? It's too hot in Reno to use oven & I want to make a tincture. I'm fine with some THCA but want CBD. Unknown strain/s as a gift. (some flower, some trim) Pain relief is my goal.

The current posts are suggesting I should up the CBD more than the 1:1 I currently use. I do supplement with CBD tincture as needed. Have made a few tinctures with RSO and CBD isolate, plus made a oil that I spray on topically. Looking for easy ideas.

Am slowly helping friends with their needs too, amazing plant. Thanks in advance.

I use an Instant Pot with a small stainless bowl covered in foil to keep the condensation out of the oil.

One could certainly use glass jars with a loose lid or a piece of foil with a single hole for venting.

You’re working with unknown strains/chemovars? That likely means very low CBD, if any at all. A 1:1 ratio is what apparently is working well for most chronic pain patients, with supplemental CBD as needed.

It’s good to hear you’re sharing the healing knowledge. It becomes a passion, eh?

Thanks SweetSue. I think the pressure cooker will function same as Instant Pot. That seems better than oven during summer heat.

Yes, no idea on strains. Good thinking about little CBD. I will add some CBD isolate to what I make. Your posts suggest more CBD for pain now. I count drops currently and adjust as pain determines. At night, use a med with more THC & edibles.

It has been rewarding to see the relief that my friends are finding. Eased tremors with one friend, shingles pain with a topical was beyond belief for another, knee replacement pain, and major pain for me. Others are asking for help as they witness the change in my functioning. I do understand your passion. I am grateful for your help, and help of others here.

...The broken carboxl bond creates carbon dioxide , a gas.
As the process vessel for decarbolizarion must be vented, logically, to,the atmosphere. Therefore, you can’t nor desire to put weed , ever into sealed jar for decarb. Further , decarbing at constant or elevated external pressure is superfluous...

...Btw, once decarbed... use the weed in the next process, quickly...
The decarbed weed has raw thc, from the thc-a exposed....

Interesting observations and some good points. Thank you for sharing.

Hello 420! This is my first post. I feel that I know some of you already. I started reading here a coupla weeks ago to find some specific answers, but felt it would be rude to just ask without putting in time. Starting at the beginning of an 118 page thread was daunting, but I experienced something that was completely unexpected. I came to appreciate the diplomacy evident in 99.9% of the posts. Thank you all for your kind-worded contributions! It's near impossible to maintain this level of civility on a forum. I suggest that this phenomenon speaks volumes to the subject matter.

I purchased a 6L Instant POT Ultra 10-1 Pressure Cooker. I added a glass top with small vent. I specifically chose this model because it features a Saute setting (dry-cooking without the pressure-sealed lid) and a Warm setting (without pressure-sealed lid), both with customizable temperature settings. Why? Because I want to do a one pot cook, but with precise temperature control.

There are two formulas that I have settled upon for dry decarbing:
240F for 30mins seems to be set in stone.
I've heard "110 for 1:10" (110C is 230F). So 230F for 70 minutes (110 not to be confused with 1 hour 50 minutes...which I also tried. LoL!)

The Ardent Nova is a neat concept. But it's too small and good for only one thing. It's definitely a "lifestyle product". Bo). It's not practical for processing a (now-legal in Canada) 4-plant harvest. In one Ardent video the spokesperson decarbed one popcorn bud. ONE! LOL!!! But the sealed-container baking process in stainless steel got me thinking, and led the way towards Pressure Cooker research. Bigger, and multi-purpose. Not only do the Warm and Saute functions have customizable temperatures, but I've read RS uses a Rice cooker, and I've seen a reference to the Yogurt setting on an Instant POT thread. Options aplenty! Oh yeah...I have cooked some rice (using pot butter), and seared and deglazed and braised a roast (using decarbed bud as an herb to complement the thyme.) But I got the IP mostly for the important stuff. Bo)

Step 1:
Select Saute - 30 mins (the max time allowed on Saute, for safety reasons.) No liquid. Dry mj. Dry pot.
Custom Temp - dialed in to 240F. (I chose 230F on the second batch, and I ran the custom cycle 2 times for 60 mins total.)

I left the glass lid on until cool - 20 minutes. Added oil. Stirred. Lid back on.

Step 2:
Select Warm - 12 hours.
Custom Temp - dialed down to 104F. (min temp on IP Ultra 10.)

Step 3:
Strain.

I have yet to read a less complicated procedure. No jars. No tinfoil. No transfers. Let me know if I can better hone the temps/times/process. I'm not set on 12 hours at 104F. What is the least amount of time it takes in oil at 104F+ to extract the flavour/terpenes/thc?

Back
Top Bottom