Decided against HPS

rumplestiltskin

So I was going to go for HPS and decided they get too hot even if I was going to run cool tubes etc.

So if I go for some cheap LEDS as the decent ones are expensive for me currently, what am I looking for?

2 plants in a 3x3, probably 250watts from actual wall?l rather than the LED Wattage?

Should I buy a power meter to see what the actual wattage is from the wall when I buy one?

A lot will tell u what they actually pull from the wall if u look when u r buying it, I just ordered a 1000w but it pulls 185 from wall, they try to say it like its a good thing, 1000w but only use 185w, but we all kno the laws physics tell us u can’t get energy from no where, so I assume that is what it really puts out

A watched a little video the other day about it, and the 1000w or what ever is advertised is the max output, like it has 100 diodes at 10w each, they say 1000w, but due to heat and longevity and the quality the different brands have them set from like 10%-70% depending on the quality, but that’s just what I got from it and I’m no expert

So I was going to go for HPS and decided they get too hot even if I was going to run cool tubes etc.

So if I go for some cheap LEDS as the decent ones are expensive for me currently, what am I looking for?

2 plants in a 3x3, probably 250watts from actual wall?l rather than the LED Wattage?

Should I buy a power meter to see what the actual wattage is from the wall when I buy one?

It really depends on the light you buy. If you're gonna get a blurple or something cheaper then you may want a Killawatt meter to check. I have one, they're like $20 tops. You can get decent LEDs for relatively cheap now if you look around, the bigger names are expensive but there are other options too. I got 240 actual watts from the wall QB style light with Samsung 301h diodes, Meanwell driver, for $150 shipped. I tested them with the Killawatt meter to make sure they were legit just because I had never ordered from this supplier before. But they are great, have had them for a bit over a month now and huge upgrade from my blurple UFO light that cost like $120, spend the extra if you can because the difference is huge. I like them so much I ordered another set which should arrive next week. The light output is absolutely insane, I have them dimmed to 50% and it's still amazing. Very little heat coming from them, I'd suggest the LED route for sure.

The first number, the 1000w, is supposed to mean it puts out as much light as a 1000w HID light. Since the LEDs are way more efficient than HID lights they do put out more light per watt, I don't know how much though. I don't have the equipment or expertise to test things like that.
The LEDs are also most efficient when the current put through them is about 50% (IIRC) of the max capacity, so if they're 5 watt chips, there should be 2 or 3 watts going through each chip. They also last longer at lower watts, and are less likely to have the light output drop off over time.
A lumens per watt rating would be far more useful when it comes to choosing a light based on square footage of the grow space. The draw from the wall (for LEDs) is only useful for figuring out what your power bill will be.
Two LED lights with the same draw from the wall can have completely different light output levels due to factors like what type of cooling system is used (active or passive) and the efficiency/quality of the chips used.
Hope that helps.

Cheers guys! I managed to borrow some cash and ordered a Mars Hydro Ts 1000W, what do you think?
TSW2000 will be better suited for your 3x3 grow area. TS1000 can only be used for a 3x3 veg room.

3x3 with little heat I would go CMH 315w. Full daylight with serious penetration beyond the canopy. The led probably is more efficient but I see many turning up power and turning down power and raising them and lowering them and having calmag issues, etc. My light is daylight until I swap to the fall bulb and the plants respond well.

Back
Top Bottom