Decision on strain for 1st grow.. White Widow vs. Acapulco Gold

Six9

First grow, working on my 3 x 3 x 8 closet grow room. I have White Widow (fem) on hand. I originally chose it for its potency, short cycle, and "easy" grow rating. But I just ordered Acapulco Gold (fem). The more I read, the more I'm thinking I'm a mostly Sativa guy.

I'd love to see my first grow a success using a classic strain, AG seems pretty damn cool. One site says the indoor grower may need to LST (low stress train) the plant to grow accordingly. 3 x 3 x 6 usable, with one 600w MH/HPS height adjustable on top, and four 6500/2700 compact cfl's on hand to possibly use under the plants when they're ready. From what I've read, I'm thinking of using just the 2700 cfl's during germ/seedling stage to save energy.

Now the questions.. thoughts on one strain vs. another for first time grow? With 6' to work with, if I go with AG should I be thinking about LST or let them grow naturally? With either I'd like to do four plants using 3 gallon fabric pots on hand. Feedback on the lighting/space for each strain welcome too.

Thanks!

I bet the White Widow is easier to grow. I'd say try the AG only if you can keep your environment stable, so temps in the 70's, humidity around 40%, keep it pest free, etc. With 600W in a 3x3x8 you will get some heat buildup, how do you plan to cool it off? A tall, lanky sativa will dry out very fast in warm temps

I bet the White Widow is easier to grow. I'd say try the AG only if you can keep your environment stable, so temps in the 70's, humidity around 40%, keep it pest free, etc. With 600W in a 3x3x8 you will get some heat buildup, how do you plan to cool it off? A tall, lanky sativa will dry out very fast in warm temps

Good question, hopefully adequate ventilation. I have a 6" hole in ceiling, with four feet of 6" duct going to a nice 6" inline duct fan installed in attic, with four feet of duct exhausting straight up chimney stack. The closet is in a master bedroom 74-78 temp with 50% humidity through summer. 69-72 with lower humidity come fall/winter. I tested, nice negative pressure pulling fresh air in from room with closet door closed. There's an 1 1/2" gap under door. I installed a strip of mylar on the door bottom that allows great airflow but blocks most light with door closed and fan running. Think White Widow for summer?

I'd say White Widow only because it is your first time and sativas are trickier. With my 600W bulb, it increases temps by 10 degrees, and that's with a big humidifier and a 590 CFM fan blowing air directly outside, plus mine is a 4x4x8, so you can expect quite a jump in temps if using a 600W. Might even be worth it to just switch to LED if you didn't buy equipment yet, much less heat and roughly same cost if you consider the bulb, ballast and reflector required for the 600W

WW is largely indica suggest a shorter growing height & may double in size once in flowering.

AG is very sativa & may grow quite tall tripling size once in flower.

So plant size at end veg is important as it may give a rough guess on how tall it may get to total height of grow rooom and safe hanging distance from the hps.

In less you plan to scrog em or any other form of training ?

Veg the white widow, take some clones and do a few perpetual runs to get your feet wet then do the Sativa, you will veg for a shorter period doing some LST.

Can't keep a shark in a small tank.

good tips thanks fellas. WW sounds like the choice for first grow. Sounds like I may have to scrog or LST for AG, def a good idea to get my feet wet. Funny SeedLab, I just visited my local hydro and saw bigger tanks.. :)

@ Stealthboat, I bought a wall thermometer/humility deal. I'm adding monitoring to the list, thanks!

Im a first time grower, and I got a white widow growing now in week 7 flower, and she has been very easy and is easily my best looking lady! Im an indica man myself, and im all about ease when starting off! Good luck.

I'm still working on my closet, ventilation installed, mylar from floor to ceiling, seedling lighting designed, 600w MH/HPS kit inbound, and bags of shit in other closets. Regarding topic on 1st strain, I'll tell ya I'm really thinking about sativa. I went to ceiling with mylar and located studs above ceiling. I could easily remove the hanger bar and hang main lighting from ceiling. That's eight feet, two feet more than I'd planned if hanging from the 6' hanger bar. Seems enough for indoor sativa yes? I've read about growth during flowering; I'd have to plan accordingly. I dunno I have a few days to work it out..

IMG_20150520_222528.JPG

I would hang the lights from the very top anyway, looks good though. The only thing that makes me squeamish is that lamp laying down on it's side... Fire Hazard.

I would hang the lights from the very top anyway, looks good though. The only thing that makes me squeamish is that lamp laying down on it's side... Fire Hazard.

ha yes I laid that cfl down for a sec to take the picture. Not normal procedure.

@ stealthboat, I'll be testing temps this weekend, with cfl's only, with 600w MH /HPS only, and with all running. My fingers are crossed. room air will be 76 f.

Six, I agree with everyone. Go with the White Widow. Very hardy plant takes abuse quite well. On my first grow and I'm going a widow hybrid, and I'm sure she's covered up a lot of my mistakes. Sativas are much less forgiving and are very temperamental from what I've read. I'm going to get a few grows under my belt before I grow the Strawberry Cough seeds I've got. The closet looks great, only thing I would do is put something over the carpet on the bottom of the closet. White Widow is a very aromatic strain and the carpet will collect all that and you'll never get rid of the smell in the closet. Best of luck, subbed!

Back
Top Bottom