DeeCee’s Living Organics Garden: No Tillin’

Happy Thanksgiving indeed DC! Amazing harvest in spite of the bud rot (which almost everyone seems to be getting outside this year except me knock wood), and I'm glad nothing showed up during the drying.

In terms of curing, I think any bucket with a snap-on lid (from the big-box hardware stores) would work well since they're designed to be water-tight. Though as I recall most folks keep them in turkey roasting bags - plenty around for Turkey day! Might be because the buckets aren't food safe, or just to have smaller amounts to deal with when you need access.

Congratulations on a terrific and informative growing season. :thanks:

Happy Thanksgiving indeed DC! Amazing harvest in spite of the bud rot (which almost everyone seems to be getting outside this year except me knock wood), and I'm glad nothing showed up during the drying.

In terms of curing, I think any bucket with a snap-on lid (from the big-box hardware stores) would work well since they're designed to be water-tight. Though as I recall most folks keep them in turkey roasting bags - plenty around for Turkey day! Might be because the buckets aren't food safe, or just to have smaller amounts to deal with when you need access.

Congratulations on a terrific and informative growing season. :thanks:

As always thanks for the help Shed! I found food grade pails and lids I might try. The thought of burping 30 or more jars makes me cringe! I’ve never actually used a turkey bag before, in fact I’m not sure I’ve ever seen one!

Yeah in southern Ontario it’s been a particularly wet fall, like I said last week we had rain all day every day for almost a week and not a stitch of sun!

I posted a link in Emilya's thread about an automated curing process using buckets and an air pump. It failed the test for acceptability to post so was taken down, but you can search the following in YouTube if interested:

DIY: An Innovative, Automated Cannabis Curing System / Derek Gilman / Green Flower​

Interesting video Azi! I dry for longer than Derek, so once I go to the cure stage I no longer need to burp. He only dries for 12 days, and he probably wouldn't need to burp his cure either if he dried for longer. ;)

Did you get a message as to why that was taken down? I can't see Green Flower network being a competitor, but who knows!

You fridge dry right? Or if you hang dry what conditions get you longer than 12 days?

You fridge dry right? Or if you hang dry what conditions get you longer than 12 days?
I hang dry as I don't have a dedicated fridge to dry in. I hang for as close to 7 days as possible, burp the turkey bags 2x a day for the first week and once a day for the second week. I don't seal the jars for curing until at least 21 days from chop, so the chlorophyll is gone by then. Mine never smell like hay by 21 days.

Right on that is pretty much what I do but with jars, maybe I’ll try these bags!

Just in time DeeCee! beautiful harvest! I'm in on turkey bags twisted tight and clipped with boveda inside, then in a bucket.

Thanks SO!I got the pails ordered, gonna stop by the grocery store on the way home for the bags!

Great job.
Nothing beats a good LOS.
Maybe for your next grow you can make a little hoophouse greenhouse type thing to keep most of that moisture off and lengthen your growing season.

Yes two of the plants were cuts from a friend who is an experienced grower. They both greatly outdid his plants this year he is blown away . Thanks for your help and for pointing me in this direction @Nunyabiz

I have raised boxes for my vegetables I’m putting little hoophouses on for my fall crops!
There would be nothing little about what I would need to build to house these girls! I think I may switch to autos for outdoor grows next year.

Two down two to go

5FD53F96-BAD9-4F91-A7BC-FA4B1714E0F1.jpeg

Lacking solid blocks of time I have been breaking up the process as much as possible. As you can see they still need a good manicure - I’ll do this after they are done curing in the pails and before going into jars for storage. So far the bags and pails are working, RH is reading 62% in PEs pail and 64% in NLs pail. A sweet smell is already developing when I have burped, shook them around lightly and ensured any buds that had stuck together were dispersed again. No sign of any ammonia smell.

So far I am a little disappointed in the density and the amount of buds that looked promising have shrunken into popcorn! Hopefully they tighten up a bit during the cure. The reality is these girls faced no shortage of challenges this grow. I am actually looking forward to returning to indoor environment controlled growing this winter!

They look perfect in da buckets DeeCee! Nice!

Thanks SO!

They're looking great though try to keep them from falling into the water...the ocean may be calm now but that can change in a minute!

When do you think you'll be cutting them off the branches?

Imagine being stuck on an island and a Canadian Tire pail full of weed washes ashore!?

Those two long ones were bucked after the picture, I did it for the ‘gram as they say these days!

Hey everyone! Sorry for the delay on the final report!

The pails and turkey bags worked amazing! I was able to take down my harvest after 10 days or so of drying and buck it. Into the bags the rough trimmed buds went, and over the last few weeks I’ve been able to burp first twice a day, then once, and now rarely. This has also allowed me to slowly final trim and jar at my own availability!

I still have some work left to do, but I’ve had a chance to cure and test everything! I’m not a great connoisseur so I’ll do my best!

Pineapple Express #2
Total yield was a respectable 314g of mid to top end bud. The buds are huge on this girl with moderate density. The smell is more skunk than sweet which is unexpected. Touch of fuel smell to it. Smooth flavour, good relaxing Indica high, low anxiety! I can’t do taste really unless something is insanely flavourful it all tastes like weed to me!
D3D38B13-D3DD-4636-ACEB-F9DEBBEA3B6F.jpeg

Northern Lights
Yielded 266g of some of the densest buds I’ve grown. These are solid! This is also the strongest sweet smell of bud I’ve grown, which is surprising for the strain. Every time I crack a jar it is a wonderful fruity sweet scent that encompasses my nose! The high wraps it’s arms around me like a warm blanket! I loved this strain as a kid back in the day and I still do now!
0E7C4A4E-FC61-4959-8CCB-B4A9A8C84262.jpeg
C93BC2A4-B651-4F41-9289-2D8F9C7FD396.jpeg

Blue Gelato
Yielded 212g of bud with a ton of larf! It may have been the position of this plant beside my pool and fence that prevented light from penetrating too deep but she is low density and came with a top of buds that shrank to popcorn even if they looked decent wet. The smell is not surprising sweet at all, and instead has a potpourri/coffee hint to it, maybe a touch of cinnamon if I try for it! The bud smokes pretty smooth and does the job, nothing really to write home about. She smelled super fruity as a plant so I am disappointed that didn’t translate when it was dried.
63AE3E89-AE6D-4BF5-9359-79395F546E38.jpeg

Trainwreck
Unfortunately a good 75% of her succumbed to mold. I found a fair bit of it while drying that was either present prior in the buds, or developed during the dry. It was heartbreaking to toss this much weed, especially when I really enjoy this strain for a day time smoke as it is uplifting. I maybe salvaged 2-3 jars at the end of the day. I believe the storm that split it right down the middle late flower really affected it as well. I taped it up the best I could but she is a thinner stalked plant and all the big buds had toppled over into a big spaghetti mess. I tied them up the best I could as well but a lot were still touching and likely the cause of the mold. Smells piney, smokes smooth, great uplifting high with very little burnout.

Well that’s all folks! Overall it was a great outdoor grow, Pineapple Express and northern lights were so impressive they rival some of my indoor! I’ve hauled all my pots down into the basement and set back up for the winter grow with the same soil. I’ll try to start a new journal with occasional updates!

Back
Top Bottom