Deerfield Spa Trumpets Benefits Of Cannabis Infused Lotions

Robert Celt

When the first Illinois medical marijuana dispensary opened last year, Anna Pamula was delighted, and even attended the grand opening to show her support.

The long-time owner of Deerfield's Renu Day Spa said she has always been a huge proponent of holistic healing and pain-relief treatments, and said the legalization of dispensaries motivated her to start offering something new at her spa that will benefit clients facing cancer and other illnesses: cannabis-infused lotions, sprays, oils and supplements.

"I have been researching these products for a long time," said the Polish-born Pamula, a licensed esthetician, massage therapist and electrologist, who has owned Renu since the late 1980s. "They are used for localized relief of pain, soreness and inflammation, but they are non-psychoactive, meaning they don't have the active ingredient in marijuana that produces the high."

Renu offers spot massage, manicures and pedicures using cannabis lotions, oils, and sprays which Pamula said have several benefits, not only to those going through chemotherapy, but to men and women with compromised immune systems, multiple sclerosis, lupus, arthritis, eczema and severe allergies.

"The products contain natural neuro-protectants that in several studies have proven to reduce inflammation, act as an antibiotic, provide anti-oxidants, relax muscles, and help manage depression and anxiety," Pamula said.

Manufactured by a Colorado-based company, Apothecanna, which has been distributing the products since 2009, the cannabis topicals, as well as oral cannabis supplements, are available for purchase at Renu.

Pamula, who has lived in Deerfield for 27 years, said her love for holistic spa treatments began a few years after she opened her business when a well-loved client died of breast cancer.

"I was heartbroken and I knew her immune system was almost non-existent. I would give her massages wearing a mask," said Pamula, who explained that the entire staff at Renu is now certified by the organization, Wellness for Cancer, to perform spa treatments on those facing cancer. "After that experience, I took on a holistic and very sanitized approach to beauty, relaxation and pampering."

Maureen Sreeman of Lake Forest is a breast cancer survivor, who has been a client of Renu since 2010, when she was just finishing chemotherapy treatments.

"Someone bought me a gift card from Renu because they are known for using all organic products, and after talking to Anna about her philosophy and going there a few times, it is now the only place I go," said Sreeman.

Sreeman has used cannabis topicals in the past and cited numerous examples of benefits that both she and her husband experienced, including reduced neurological and arthritic pain, reduced swelling in the knees, and a quicker healing time for shingles.

"It can help so many people with issues they are taking medication for," she said. "It's great for Fibromyalgia, building up your immune system, even menstrual cramps. It's going to help women feel a lot better without having to take pills which can cause side effects."

Deerfield_Spa.png

News Moderator: Robert Celt 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Deerfield Spa Trumpets Benefits Of Cannabis Infused Lotions
Author: Jackie Pilossoph
Photo Credit: Jackie Pilossoph

Back
Top Bottom