Deftones' Stephen Carpenter interview about weed

Euphoricpa

This is half the interview but this all the stuff about mary jane.

At first, I was looking at the band in a way I shouldn’t, which is looking at it like any other band out there.

I’m the same way. I know exactly what you’re talking about. Honestly, if I was home, if you spent one year of your life with me, you’d probably hear more talk radio than you imagine and you would be playing golf with me everyday. That’s my days. Throw in some beautiful women here and there and some weed. If anything, if I’ve got any message to the world, it’s free the fucking already. Jesus Christ. Stop all these lame excuses for doing it! It’s like, “It’s just fucking weed.” It’s sad that a lot of people have to go medical route just to smoke week legally. Just abandon and abolish all these dumb-ass rules attached to it.

So marijuana is okay in your world?

I’m saying in the world Earth, the planet we all live on, just about everywhere you go people smoke weed. And not just like a couple I meet – everyone everywhere smokes fucking weed. Even the mere mention, just the word marijuana, if you just say it in a room full of people you thought wouldn’t like it, look around and see how many people are smiling just from the mere mention of the word! It just befuddles me that it can be considered in any part, especially in the United States of America, we, the freest people in the world, allegedly. We should be smoking the weed because we are the freest people in the world! How can we, the freest people in the land of the planet Earth, have so many childish restrictions on such a substance that causes no harm to anyone? Those who are harmed by it were harmed somebody who was harmful to begin with. It wasn’t the weed.

So in your mind it should be legalized?

It should not only be legalized, it should be a dead topic. All this negativity and stereotypes that are attached to it should just fall to the wayside because it’s absolutely ignorant. People who enjoy weed should not be made to feel like lower-class citizens or ignorant or criminals because they enjoy some marijuana. I enjoy it. I tell the world, “I enjoy it and I will smoke it till the day I die.”

Is smoking marijuana part of the creative process for you?

I do, but I don’t smoke nearly the amount that people think I do. I have a little taste here, a little taste there. Previous years, when I was first getting into it, I was all about it, had the fat sack. I was puffing joints, the biggest joints all the time. Man, I was the shit. If I could rewind the clock back, let me tell you, I would have saved a lot of money. It shouldn’t have to be about money! That’s the sad part about it. It’s a fucking plant. All you’ve got to do is grow it. Are you kidding? You can grow tomatoes, cucumbers and every other vegetable or fruit you like, but if you grow that marijuana plant you’re a criminal. What the fuck? The American government has absolutely gone insane. They have lost their minds on a level that the normal human beings of the world just cannot understand. Not even themselves understand. But the only reason they’re there, the only reason those rules exist, is the very same reason all these other rules exist: just to dig into our pockets, get a little of that money. Jesus, you guys created the money! Why you got to steal it from us? Just make some fucking more!

Were the other Deftones’ records created while you were smoking?

Around The Fur and forward. Adrenaline, I did not smoke weed. But the tail-end of the Adrenaline period is when I started smoking weed and I’ve been high ever since. And quite responsibly, I might add. I believe that any day anyone wants to Pepsi challenge this stoner, I will gladly mentally run circles around them unless they are truly more intelligent and enlightened than I am. I believe I will enlighten them. I believe I can grant them some advice that might be useful to them. I’m sure I am most certain that I am more courteous and cooperative than most who are totally sober. I believe that there’s more people out there like me. Like I said, I consider myself to be quite immature and I’m just trying to make a better way for myself and be a little more mentally understanding of everything and everyone around me.

Do your bandmates adopt your philosophy?

Not certain. I can’t speak for them. I can only speak for myself. It would certainly give them a nice chuckle. How about that? And that’s fine with me. Like I said, try it one day. I tell everyone, “Why don’t you just try it and find out?” Just mention the mere word marijuana around a crowd of people and see what happens. I guarantee you 50% will be smiling.

If someone said that your playing was off because of smoking marijuana, would you take that to heart?

Again, I say at the end of the day, “Every one of us is good for nothing. All we’ve got is opinions. And you know what? Try focusing those opinions on yourself. That’s all I’m trying to do.” When everyone become a little more self-aware and self-assuring and a little more understanding of themselves, only then can they understand someone else. Until they start to understand themselves and judge themselves before judging me or anyone else, it’s just an opinion and I really don’t got time for opinions. That’s all they are. We’ve all got them and no one really cares about them. The only time anyone’s opinion matter is somebody actually asks you for it. If somebody really wants your opinion, that’s because they need a little help or to maybe help them understand what you’re thinking. But otherwise, your opinion means nothing. My opinion means nothing. No one’s opinion matters.

That’s why every day we watch the news. We all go home and we all sit there and yell at the fucking TV like our opinion matters. The TV ain’t fucking listening. They don’t give a fuck. You can go into the fucking Congress and scream and shout all you want, but your opinion don’t mean shit in there either. You can vote if you want. All your votes don’t mean shit either because you don’t count. It’s the final electoral vote that makes the difference. Our system is completely broke, but somehow it works. It works – in a dictatorship sort of way it works. People need to wake up to reality. The reality is shit can be as good as we want it to be if we decide to. And we have to decide as a group, otherwise we’re all just chasing our tails, spouting off all our own opinions. I could come with a billion opinions of my own about every topic you want, but it’s just that: my opinion. And really, who cares? I tell people all the time, “How about before you spout off an opinion, why don’t you consider a solution? If you’ve got a solution, talk about that then. And if nobody likes your solution, don’t be mad. Come up with another one. Maybe that one wasn’t good enough, wasn’t all-encompassing enough.”

Read the whole interview here. Early Green Day Albums' Reissue

Re: Deftones' Stephen Carpenter interview about weed.

nice read..... i wish he could speak at congress

Back
Top Bottom