Dennis Kusinich for president?

Akornpatch

This comes from the NORML affiliates: ...just checked out his website, and this is what Dennis Kucinich has to say about the war on drugs:

Drug War

April 2006

My position on this issue is to face it directly, though other politicians run away from it. I agree with the many law enforcement officials and experts in the field that we must find a new way of dealing with illegal drugs.

I have studied the issue for decades and recognize that our "War on Drugs" has failed. In fact, because our War on Drugs drives up the price, it encourages violence. Prohibition simply doesn't work. It only creates thousands and thousands of Al Capones. Prison should be for people who hurt other people, not themselves. We don't jail people for merely drinking. We jail people when they drink and drive or hurt another human.

Drug use can and should be reduced. But a continuation of our current War on Drugs will not do it. Instead, the current policies have only helped increase drug use and foster violence across the country. California was able to cut teenage tobacco use in half with a straightforward ad campaign that was financed by a tax on cigarettes. Not a shot was fired.

The supporters of the drug war have only one solution to this debacle -- more money for law enforcement, more people, more power, more prisons -- with no end in sight. Of course, these happy drug warriors who justify their living hunting down drug users come on TV and promise us that they see light at the end of the tunnel. They promised us a drug-free America by 1995, and instead we see new and more exotic drugs constantly being added to the mix.

I know that proponents of the Drug War will say that I am pro-drugs. I am not. As mayor of Cleveland, I saw first-hand the damage done by addiction to drugs, including alcohol. I also witnessed that the wasted resources and collateral damage did not promote a safe society. It is unconscionable that only one bed exists for every ten people that apply for drug treatment. Our priorities and our resources are being put in the wrong place. The primary job of law enforcement should be protecting our country and its citizens -- not protecting people from themselves.

The shredding of our rights to privacy and property promoted by the Drug War is inconsistent with a free society. Criminalization of private or self-destructive behavior is not acceptable in a free nation.

The racism evident in the Drug War, and the clearly preferential treatment for offenders with connections, undermine our concept of a just society. Draconian prison sentences that dwarf those for violent crimes, like murder and rape, destroy respect for our laws.

The rampant corruption of the criminal justice system spawned by the $400 billion-a-year black market could be ended with the stroke of a pen. So also would be the wholesale devastation we have brought to other countries. Countries like Colombia, where we send billions of dollars of military aid and spray hundreds of thousands of acres of populated land with dangerous herbicides in a country with nearly a million displaced people. And each military campaign or spraying is like a squeezing a balloon; production merely shifts to another site or goes into a temporary hiatus.

Drug addiction is a medical and moral problem that should be treated by professionals, not dumped on the criminal justice system. Setting up a national commission of medical professionals to develop an intelligent program, based on the experience of drug experts from around the world, would be a first step. Allowing doctors to treat drug addiction humanely and intelligently, including the prescription of maintenance doses, would allow us to quickly eliminate most of the black market and much of the damage to a safe, free, and just America.

It is time for an honest dialogue on this issue. Time to stop the documented lies, half-truths, and propaganda that got us into this mess in the first place. It is time to face the facts.

Floor Statements, 109th Congress:

Don't Let the War on Drugs Become a War on Children

Yes Dennis Kucinich would certainly get my vote. He seems to be
a realist that has his priorites straight. Its unfortunate that his ideas
wont get the attention they deserve.

I still have a t-shirt and a bumper sticker or two from last campaign. As he is not photogenic, and is for the little guy, he doesn't stand a chance. Read his history, and more about him, and I think you might be sold. A friend of mine who is also non religious, calls him the closest thing to Jesus in the U.S. today.

I used to be a huge republican, then I got to college and started smoking... :peace: This sounds like a great guy to vote into office.

if we could get about 51 senators to feel this way (and a president with some logic) and we'd be all set

i like him. one problem........ he's not electable. he doesn't 'look right'. what we need is an anonymous election. the candidates all give us their views on all the issues. no name, no photo. then people vote based on their brains.

was it george carlin who said..........
you send a monkey up in a hot air balloon. where ever the balloon comes down the first person the monkey walks up to and takes their hand, they are the new president.

seriously though, the dems need to do some serious decision making. they better pick a candidate with some balls be they male or female.

pelosi already seems like a sell out to me.

how about Obama? i don't know much about him. i'd like to read his book and learn more about him.

Well you could always go with Nader, I think he is actually very smart and has
great ideas. Here is a interview i got from his site:

Drug War Chronicle: In your issue statement on the war on drugs, you say "it is time to bring some illegal drugs within the law by regulating, taxing, and controlling them." Are you referring specifically to marijuana, or do you have other drugs in mind?

Ralph Nader: Marijuana is the drug that should most clearly be brought into a system of regulation and taxation. It is less dangerous than drugs like alcohol and tobacco as far as addiction and death. Regulation and taxation would provide greater control over purity, potency labeling, health warnings and age restrictions then the ineffective current 'war on marijuana' approach. In addition, experience with allowing retail sales of marijuana in Holland have shown effectiveness–significantly less marijuana use in all age categories, especially by youth, twice as many US youth use marijuana on a per capita basis than Dutch youth.

Regarding other drugs, there has not been enough research done to show whether regulation and taxation approaches would work. Research being done in Switzerland on heroin assisted treatment -- where heroin users go to a government controlled clinic, purchase their heroin and use it at the clinic under the eyes of a health care worker–show promise in that they have reduced crime, disease, death and dysfunction without increasing drug use, indeed leading to reduced drug use.

Chronicle: You have long been a critic of corporate power. How would you prevent a legal marijuana market from being dominated by large corporations? If you are talking about legalizing or regulating marijuana, how would that work?

Nader: We do not want the forbidden fruit enticement of marijuana's illegality to be replaced with glamorization by Madison Avenue advertising. Preventing national advertising that would create national brand name recognition would help keep large corporations out. This does not mean all advertising should be banned–just national advertising to develop national brand recognition. Control of large corporations is a broader question that relates to this issue. The US needs to do more to control corporations through their corporate charters, taxation, and enforcement against corporate crime, fraud and abuse and the ending of corporate welfare.

Chronicle: What about medical marijuana?

Nader: The criminal prosecution of patients for medical marijuana must end immediately, and marijuana must be treated as a medicine for the seriously ill. The current cruel, unjust policy perpetuated and enforced by the Bush Administration prevents Americans who suffer from debilitating illnesses from experiencing the relief of medicinal cannabis.

Bull-Moose? You haven't voted for a while then have you? Anyways I vote more conservative, but like any good voter I vote based upon morals and the previous actions of the person. Anyways, I think the Dem's need to run a strong candidate. No offense to the women, Hillary is never going to win. If your gonna run a female, use an intelligent one! As for the gore comments, I can't vote for gore...sorry...Hope he never runs again because that woud be 1 lost potential dem vote. :peace:

^^^ Yeah... Adding on to what you said. I just dont think this country is ready to be run by a woman. No offence or anything, but thats my honest opinion. I would fear living in the United States if someone like Hilary Clinton was leader of this country.

Isn't John Edwards in the race now?

I would vote Colbert/Stewart. Haha.

my dad has worked with dennis, my uncle is his right hand man, i've met him a bunch of times, he's a real cool dude, and he's one of the few politicians who's real about what he says, i've met a lot of politicians and it's true that most of them are full of shit, but dennis is the real deal. he also wants to create a department of the peace to go along with the department of defense, kinda like adding more checks and balances so one department doesn't get too much power, which i think they already have.

I love the guy - but he doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell.

hossua34 said:
I love the guy - but he doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell.
Yeah, I've been reading up about him and all I can say is that I wish he would become president, but he's not electable at all. Democracy has been losing its appeal to me the more I get involved in it.

Back
Top Bottom