Denver International Airport Formalizes Policy Banning Marijuana

The General

Denver International Airport held a public hearing Wednesday to formalize its policy banning marijuana and set fines for possession. Warning signs were installed at airport entrances earlier this month, notifying passengers that marijuana was banned across the entire airport property, despite the new state law legalizing recreational use and possession by adults age 21 and older. Under the new policy, the fine for a first offense is up to $150.

A worker or visitor who is ticketed for a second offense will face a fine of up to $500. A third offense and any offense after that will incur a fine up to $999. One medical marijuana patient told 7NEWS she is concerned about how the airport will handle patients. "I don't take medication with me when I'm flying internationally, but when I fly to states that it's legal in, I want my medication," said Deborah Palm-Egley. "It shouldn't be an issue. If you have a card, it shouldn't be an issue."

"Marijuana is on the list of TSA's prohibited items. You can't fly with it. It doesn't distinguish between marijuana recreational, any time," said airport spokeswoman Stacey Stegman. "We as an airport have a responsibly to honor that. We can't facilitate the transport of marijuana across state lines when it's illegal." While Amendment 64 decriminalized pot use in Colorado, the law clearly states that any "entity who occupies, owns or controls a property" can prohibit "the possession, consumption, use, display, transfer, distribution, sale, transportation, or growing of marijuana on or in that property."

"Marijuana in all forms is prohibited from this airport, including edibles," said Stegman. "Even today, you cannot fly with edibles or any form of marijuana." Wednesday, the Colorado Springs Airport also announced a rule prohibiting the possession of marijuana on parts of airport property. Their rule goes into effect on Friday.

buds60.jpg

News Moderator - The General @ 420 MAGAZINE ®
Source: Thedenverchannel.com
Author: Deb Stanley

Back
Top Bottom