Dependable light meter

Grassmaster

I bought 3 meters to measure my light intensity. A meter that measures lux that fluctuates all over the place. A meter that measures PAR that goes open in the handle.
And the 1 below that only costs $20 bucks. It measures PH and moisture of the soil also. It just gives you some idea of how bright your lighting is with no specified units. Thoughts?

Attachments

• 20190707_190233.jpg
    20190707_190233.jpg
    284.9 KB · Views: 113
That thing you've pictured makes an okay back scratcher in a pinch. And other than that, it's good for... well... <SCRATCHES HEAD> I guess it might serve temporary duty as a tent stake, if the wind isn't too fierce, lol.

A lux meter will work if what you're measuring is a desk lamp and you're wondering whether it's going to be sufficient to read a newspaper with or suchlike. However, since it uses the lumen as it's measurement, and because the lumen and everything derived from it is meant to be used in situations where the light is perceived by the Mark I Eyeball, Human (and, therefore is heavily weighted towards the portions of the visible spectrum that said eyeball perceives as being brighter), it's a really bad tool for the grow room.

A PAR meter is what you want. But be advised, a lot of the cheaper ones (and, quite possibly, some not so cheap ones :rolleyes: ) are, in fact, just lux meters that the manufacturer has added some kind of arbitrary "conversion factor" to.

If you want a good PAR meter, look at something like an Apogee MQ-510. Some of the good ones even have upgradeable fimware, which allows the manufacturer to potentially address minor issues that may be discovered or even to occasionally add a new feature or two. They're definitely not toys (nor are they priced like one, LMFAO).

Actually I'm still impressed with the little cheapo meter. Same readings every time. Operates without any power source. According to my cell phone app the cheapo is at 3200 ft candles when the meter is maxed out. The phone app won't go any higher either.

Lot's of professional growers use LUX and foot candle meters. Because you only have to know the intensity of the light. You eventually get a feel for how intense you need to adjust the lights:hookah: to.

Lol k. Professional just means that somebody is paying them, doesn't mean they've got two fucking brain cells to rub together.

a lux meter is just fine, Dr. Meter from the Zone. it measures intensity, and thats all you need if your a simply space grower. if you can afford a PAR meter, great, pay into the scam all you want, but the cheap PAR meters are nothing more then Lux converted. *shruggs

Ive tested it, you cant tell me any different.

I liked my HydroFarm meter best. It was the most stabil of the 2 meters that I had. It has a design flaw that causes the soldered cord wires in the light sensor to go open. On the other side the cord plugs into a jack that will never break. If they had jacks on both sides it would be a great meter.

I contacted them to buy another cord and sensor (hopefully upgraded) and received an email to buy a new one. I'm not going to buy that brand again.

Yeah, expect Hydrofarm to be even more mercenary than it used to be since the previous owner sold the company to the Scotts MiracleGro's Hawthorne Gardening Co. shell company.

a lux meter is just fine, Dr. Meter from the Zone. it measures intensity, and thats all you need if your a simply space grower.

Yeah, because the big halogen work light that I paint with in unoccupied houses will peg one, and everyone knows they make great grow lights. [/SARCASM]

you cant tell me any different.

That... I believe ;).

Back
Top Bottom