Depot's 1st Grow - Buddha Purple Kush - Budget Setup - CFL

Depot

Hi everyone, this is going to be my first ever attempt at growing indoor ;) I've spent some time reading around the forums and checking quite a lot of journals so here we go!

Strain: 1x Buddha Purple Kush, mainly indica, autoflowering
Soil: BioBizz All-Mix - soil (20%), compost (35%), worm castings (10%) and Perlite (30%) as well as a special 'pre-mix' (5%) of biologically active organic ingredients
Bucket size: 12L (3.17 gallons)
Nutes: BioBizz Bio-Bloom
Light: 2x CFLs 32w(150w) - 6500K and 2700K (4506 lumen total)
Temp of the room varies from 20°C(68F) to 23°C(73.4F) - with 2 CFLs and the fan shouldn't be a problem in the box

Here's the box I'm going to use - 145x70cm
IMG_20150217_123656.jpg

IMG_20150217_123537.jpg

IMG_20150217_123519.jpg

640px-Triangular_prism.png

The front of the box is closed with a mylar-coated gym mat which rolls up and down with a string (I could've definitely thought about something better ahah) which is not really practical since I have to seal with tape the edges every damn time I open it, to avoid light filtering in - BUT it seems to do its work for now :hmmmm:

I put the seed in a peat pellet yesterday, waiting for it to sprout
Any advice will be highly appreciated :)

Will keep you updated :thanks:

Alright, it's time for an update :)
I've been checking the jiffy pellet every morning for a week and couldn't see anything coming out; I was starting to lose hope when finally this morning something was popping out!
Was quite happy until I took a closer look at the first small leaf which didn't look healthy at all
IMG_20150223_093959.jpg

IMG_20150223_093833.jpg

IMG_20150223_093931.jpg

Since I'm lacking experience, I stood there wondering what may have caused it.. Too much water? Not enough oxygen?
I then noticed a root longer than 1cm(0.5in) had broke out of the peat bottom and was trying to make his way out to fresh air while being compressed by the peat's weight itself - might that be the reason of the yellowish leaf?

Anyways, without thinking twice I decided it was time for it to move to its new bigger house.
Filled my 12L trash bin converted to pot with the All-Mix soil, dug a hole, shoved the baby inside (after removing that ugly skin which compresses it) and watered the soil a bit.

IMG_20150223_1126452.jpg

IMG_20150223_112635.jpg

Hope it isn't too late to recover already

Welcome depot.I would only add Small amounts for now .your roots are not that big yet.not necessary water were there is no roots .keep it up looking good so far.I also am using CFL's. To veg.are you planning to flower With them or hps ?

Hi king, thanks for the welcome and for the feedback

I was thinking the same about the roots not being too developed to reach for water yet! But this All-Mix soil was just too squashy and spongy when I first poured it that I felt it needed some water to somehow get more compact, hence why I went for it anyways - even though the peat pellet the seedling was originally into was already kinda wet

I'm planning to stick to CFLs for flowering stage aswell (for this first journey at least)
will probably add another 32W bulb later on, but definitely not the right time to invest in a more professional lighting gear

Peace :Namaste:

If you check out Beateo's cfl gro he definitely knows his stuff.I only veg with CFL's, but people do well with CFL's. For flower.but hps makes denser buds.I only paid $80 for each of my 150 hps with ballast built in.also electricity did not go up much.Just food for thought.good luck friend.

Looking good!! It's the CFL's. If you wouldn't have enough light they would Be long and linky .in my opinion short and bushy Is good.
The only problem I see with it being too short and bushy is lighting.. I'm worried lower leaves won't catch any light

Here's an update, no changes in watering/lighting, Temperature inside the box around 30°C, outside the box 24°C
RH 45-50%
DAY 7

IMG_20150302_131841.jpg

IMG_20150302_131856.jpg

IMG_20150302_131910.jpg

IMG_20150302_131941.jpg

IMG_20150302_132350.jpg

IMG_20150302_132401.jpg

IMG_20150302_132430.jpg

Thanks everyone for stopping by
:welcome: to my journal

They are looking healthy!!!full strength didn't seem to hurt them at all.

Im in buddy they are looking good. I hope full strength didn't hurt will take a day to show atleast. I only have two suggestions 1. try to get your cfl's sideways the top puts out the least amount of light 2. build some kind of reflectors for the lights could even used a soda can and make it into a wing reflector for each.

She sure liked the full strength nutes, it's 48 hours after feeding and looking better than ever :morenutes:
@chuck I'm concerned about the heat that may cause a reflector near the lights in such a small area.. Temp is currently around 31C(87.8F) when it's on already

I'm subscribed Depot.

Your girl is looking healthy and is staying short as your light source is close. If you want it to stretch then pull the lights away but it looks happy as it is. Keep up the good work :goodjob:
Hi Medfarmer and thanks for stopping, I recently pulled lights away to make it grow in height just a little, though I like when they keep short and bushy.. it somehow makes me think the plant will focus more on developing fat buds :scratchinghead:

I've got a pc cooling fan floating above the plant, but I only use it to move leaves around when the box's open.. I tried turning it on while the box was closed but temp skyrocketed due to the heat the fan itself generates (should look for a way to run the fan at medium-to-low speed maybe, it's quite loud aswell)
I'll probably move the fan and place it as in/out take but not a priority until temp stays below 87F(31C) - There's only 2 CFL bulbs afterall, heat shouldn't be a problem

Anyways I'm working on a reflecting surface (as you may see in the last pics, there's something leaning behind the pot already :D)
just need to find out how to hang it above the lights, and especially how to hold the lights sideways without having to buy useless things :rolleyes3

Also, should I feed nutes every time I water? (I water every 4th day)
Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom