Depression: Medical Marijuana Is A Successful Therapy

Herb Fellow

Molalla, Ore. - The Merck manual includes Depression in Psychiatric and Mood disorders in which anxiety and PTSD are also included. They show several pages of the why and wherefores so I'm not going into a psychiatric tirade. I do feel there is an extensive overlap in all of these psychiatric conditions and I hope my point will become clear to the reader.

The Oregon Medical Marijuana Plan, (OMMP) did not include any psychological medical conditions which I felt was a sad mistake. If a patient tells a doctor that marijuana works for ANY condition, it is best if the doctor listens and pays attention.

The old crap, "It's all in your head" is certainly active here.

Very few doctors have been recipients of an artillery or mortar barrage. It would alter their conception. At any rate, all of the above conditions are real AND in some patient's heads. The worst thing is they are difficult to dislodge and get over.

As far as depression itself is concerned, it seemingly was first noted by Doctor Tod Mikuriya who reviewed medical records of about 38,000 marijuana patients at the Oakland, California Cannabis Buyers Club database. He found that many interrelated psychiatric conditions according to patient's histories, were ameliorated with cannabis/marijuana.

He also found that VA doctors were treating these patients with a wild grabbag of psycotropic medications. (See Friedman, M.J. et al April 2006 American Journal of Psychiatry.)

Subsequent medical articles have indicated the abject failure of these medications. These include Serotonin, contraband drugs like Paroxetine, anti-depressants like Trazadone, MADIS like Phenetzine, Tricyclies like Amitriptyline, anti-analgesics like Propanalol, anti-convulsants like Gabapentin and anti-psychotics like Respiridone, Respiridone. I am flummoxed and wonder the rationale of these. They all have well-known BAD adverse side effects.

Early in my practice with marijuana applicants, I learned that Vietnam Veterans had discovered this herb while fighting the war. They told me that cannabis/marijuana worked well for psychic as well as physical medical problems.

Both Dr. Tod Mikuriya and Ed Glick R.N. found in history taking and reviewing medical marijuana and records that marijuana provided effective treatment. I ended up with at least 400 PTSD veterans who fortunately had other acceptable physical ailments so that I could help them get marijuana permits.

Source: Salem-News.com
Copyright: 2008,
Website: Depression: Medical Marijuana is a Successful Therapy - Salem-News.Com

I hate the side effects of antidepressants, and I love the side effects of MMJ.

Respiridone!!! Man I hate that word!!! That drug is good for two thing only..making money for the manufacturer, and making the patients life a living hell.

MMJ!!! Now those are words I love!!! A natural product making the world a better place for the patient.!!!

Oh yeah... I've been put on trazodone, fluoxetine, Effexor XR, amitryptaline, bupropion, etc (not all at once). The only thing that's ever really helped me was cannabis, but it's virtually impossible to get medical marijuana for depression in Canada.

-jps :peace:

MJ works well for depression and anxiety, but at least in my case, it's too expensive to buy enough to treat myself, so I'm on Zoloft. I've had to increase my dosage once already and I may have to quit breastfeeding so I can take a higher dosage. I hate it, but I can only afford to spend about $50 for weed each month since I'm a stay-at-home mom right now. I wish I could get a medical card or maybe grow it myself. It's so frustrating to have to deal with corrupt laws that exist to create more profit for drug companies!

That's the MAIN reason I grow. I was on 200 dollars of meds a month (With insurance) and have been taking these pills for 5-6 years now. I have taken many many many of these drugs, somtimes 9 pills a day. Problem is they don't work for me for more than a month or so. I noticed about 5 years ago after my wife suggested I smoke pot (After 15 years of not drinking or smoking weed) that certain strains worked very well for me, and I have been going strong since then.

I rally had no choice but to grow my own, seeing that it is very dangerous to drive with it in the car when you need some, and I have a wife and 2 children to provide for.

Shame you have to risk everything for a plant that cures your ills.

I may grow when we get a better place. I like the idea of having my own stash when ever I need it and for free. I would probably grow just enough for personal use.
Unfortunately, I don't believe that weed will ever be legal because people would be able to grow their own supply, and therefore, the drug companies would not profit. I hate politics and money!! As for my depression, I have no doubt that weed would be the best answer to the problem, but because weed will not make profit for drug companies, I guess I'll have to settle for their legal dope instead. Ironically, some depression meds can actually cause a person to get worse or even commit suicide.

I am slowly weaning myself off the legal meds. MMJ is the solution for me.

hello,,,,thanks for depression info....makes my collection of medical marijuana
for informative legalization more supportive,,,,:peace:f.g.s.aka---infoman--ohio

Is anyone familiar with medical marijuana laws in Tennessee?

As of a month now I'm completely off of Lexapro after a 4 year long roller coaster ride. When I first told my psychologist that I had gotten my MMJ recommendation and that it was helping my depression & anxiety way more than the Lexapro was... what does she say? It was dangerous to mix the two and the smoking should stop. Gosh Golly I wanted to punch that bitch in the face.

People are truly ignorant. What a dumb ass!

Hello Everyone, I'm new here. But, not new to major depression. I've suffered with it since age 19 & I'm 51 now. I've really beat the odds. Psychiatrists don't want us to read the DMVS-4. It states that people suffering from major depression rarely make it past something like age 30. I use watercolor paining as a form of creativity, which is the opposite of depression, which equals destruction. Anyway, I just read that most physchiatrists don't know & therefore do not warn their patients about the risk of suicide due to anti-depressants. One study showed that when people are at the depths of their depression they usually don't have the strength to commit suicide. When they start anti-depressants they start to have more energy. But, they're still depressed. This is the stage when they kill themselves. I know. I've been through this stage with so many ssri's. I"m blessed that I'm still here. I've read that Kali Mist is a good anti-depressant. Unfortunately, I live in Florida. We have the most ruthless laws against cannabis. The cops love bagging decent people just for fun. So, for now I'm just learning & waiting for the day we change the laws here. Wow! Did I rant on. Bye for now. Peace.

Back
Top Bottom