Depth of water in a DWC

Thread starter #1
First off go vols. I'm a first time grower and my question is how deep I need to run the water level in a 5 gal bucket dwc? Its 4 gal to thebottom of the net pot. Should I just run to the bottom of the net pot or run less just into the roots? Plants seem to be doing great. Less than 3 week on bubbler and growing about 1 inch a day and using at least a pint of water per day. Thanks

Guy Cavallero

Welcome TR.....
Your net pot should touch your water if roots are not yet emerging through your Hydroton into your water, you should hand water it too if not using a top feed line. If your roots are reaching through, 1" below is where your water should be. As it drops thru the week , replace with straight PHd water at 5.7, do not add nutes til water change.

Icemann420

I grow with the net pot about 1/2 inches under the pot you don't want your hydrotun to wet specially if your using rockwool and once roots are astablished I drop it by 2 inches

Underthunder

Plant of the Month - June 2017
TennRiver i started with a 5 gallon then went to 7 gal and won plant of the month now i use a 35 gallon reservoir for one plant and i got 1 and 1/2 pounds from one plant it was a LSD from barneys farm. I only do top water when the roots have not come through the netty pot. Good luck with your grow!!

Last edited:
I'm a new dwc grower as well. I set mine up so that the water level is about 1/4 inch below the pot and that the bubbles slightly splashed the pot to to "tease" the root growth I guess you can say when they start growing. I didn't want the rockwool to stay wet for fear of drowning the seedling.

Stltoed

Mine is probably 2.5 inches away from the water. I have two 17 gallon pots, with a total volume of about 50 gallons including the res. One thing I do a little different is I use a 80 liter inline pump and 12 inch diffusers for my air supply to the two pots. I have no air in the res. Because my turn over rate for reciculating nutes is kinda high. And my input hose (in the res.) does a little waterfall thing.

Mine is probably 2.5 inches away from the water. I have two 17 gallon pots, with a total volume of about 50 gallons including the res. One thing I do a little different is I use a 80 liter inline pump and 12 inch diffusers for my air supply to the two pots. I have no air in the res. Because my turn over rate for reciculating nutes is kinda high. And my input hose (in the res.) does a little waterfall thing.
So what is your air to water ratio?I take it those pots are not filled to the 17gal max?
I have a 17gal planter with 2 plants and running a air pump at 1900 gph / 32 lpm you think I need more?

Stltoed

So what is your air to water ratio?I take it those pots are not filled to the 17gal max?
I have a 17gal planter with 2 plants and running a air pump at 1900 gph / 32 lpm you think I need more?
I'm sure you'll be fine. This last grow was the first with such a large pump, i did alright.