Dercarboxylation options?

Sorry you have a hard time debating with others bud...lol

And there are people who would DIE debating the world is flat, but, they are wrong...lol

People are doing Cobb's, me included, only temp is approx 104deg F for 24 hrs, then around 80deg for a week
The results of chewed Cobb's is an insane high, and no real decarbing taking place

Lots of new testing is being done on Cannabis now that it's Legal in some states and countries

So don't discount actual processes that have proven positive results

There is no debate, this post is about decarboxylation not cobb's! Decarboxylating is a very simple process that's my point.

The oil or cobb's may have many wonderful compounds in them, that are enhanced by the low temperatures and time. That is irrelevant! Show me some lab results that show decarboxylation (The subject of this post) happens at low temps - till then it's just an opinion!

There is no debate, this post is about decarboxylation not cobb's! Decarboxylating is a very simple process that's my point.

The oil or cobb's may have many wonderful compounds in them, that are enhanced by the low temperatures and time. That is irrelevant! Show me some lab results that show decarboxylation (The subject of this post) happens at low temps - till then it's just an opinion!

Look at the above thread, I know there are tests in there

Sorry your only focused on the decarbing , but fact is, it does decarb quit well at lower temps, I have infused Grape Seed oil in my fridge that proves it

Very interesting post thanks Chris - wading through it now.
It's a lonnnnggggg read

But if u search it may be easier to find d specific posts

We spent lots of time and money $$$ on testing decard, oils, flowers etc

I have to agree that real life experience clearly points to decarb happening in the lower temperature ranges.

For one example among many -
here’s a question I once asked in the cobbing thread. Never did hear an answer- I don’t think anyone had one- but I wandered away from the thread at one point so maybe missed it.

I read the following scientific facts from almost all sites in the topic and have seen those decarb temp graphs many times.

- fresh bud has basically no THC, only THCa
- THCa cannot get you high
- you need to heat it to around 240°C to make the conversion happen.

So how is that eating a fraction of a gram of cobbed (fermented) bud can get me so high? I’ve been halfway to the moon from .3 grams of cobbed bud, harvested fresh from the plant two weeks previous. There’s no way it reached anywhere close to 240° in the ferment. It didn’t get much over 100°

I have to agree that real life experience clearly points to decarb happening in the lower temperature ranges.

For one example among many -
here’s a question I once asked in the cobbing thread. Never did hear an answer- I don’t think anyone had one- but I wandered away from the thread at one point so maybe missed it.

I read the following scientific facts from almost all sites in the topic and have seen those decarb temp graphs many times.

- fresh bud has basically no THC, only THCa
- THCa cannot get you high
- you need to heat it to around 240°C to make the conversion happen.

So how is that eating a fraction of a gram of cobbed (fermented) bud can get me so high? I’ve been halfway to the moon from .3 grams of cobbed bud, harvested fresh from the plant two weeks previous. There’s no way it reached anywhere close to 240° in the ferment. It didn’t get much over 100°
Excellent question, I have no idea what the answer is. The only way to answer that question is to have a cob ample analyzed to get the real answer.

But keep in mind that we are dealing with so many chemicals here: Over 400 separate chemicals, with interactions between each .. so the math is phenomenal. CBD cancels out the psychoactive properties of THC, so is there CBD in your cob? Who knows - but we're not just talking THC, and CBD it's a chemical superstore.

Medical Marijuana contains over 400 different chemical compounds, of which 80 of them are only found in cannabis. These 80 compounds are known as cannabinoids, they attach to receptors in the brain and spine to induce the effects associated with cannabis.

There are 5 major cannabinoids that help relieve the symptoms of medical conditions. These are THC, CBD, CBN, CBC and CBG. Each strain of medical marijuana has a different composition of these cannabinoids in order to achieve different effects – making each strain more suitable to the treatment of specific conditions. For example, at the top level, even the governing families of cannabis have naturally different levels of each cannabinoid; with sativas often being better for treating psychological conditions and indicas being better for more psychical.

What does THC do?

THC is the most famous cannabinoid present in any cannabis. It stands for delta-9-tetrahydrocannibinol. THC acts as a mental stimulant as well as a muscle relaxant and anti-inflammatory. It is often the most abundant cannabinoid to be found within sativa strains. Hence their predominantly cerebral effect.

What does CBD do?

CBD is the most prominent cannabinoid associated with the sedative effects of marijuana. It stand for cannabidiol. CBD actually cancels out the psychoactive effects of THC, meaning that strains with a high CBD content rarely induce a cerebral high. CBD reduces the effects of pain, anxiety and nausea. As mentioned it is sedative and induces what is known as being “stoned”, this is why indica strains are often prescribed for pain and anxiety ect – they are known to have high CBD content.

What does CBN do?

CBN is an analgesic, meaning it reduces the effect of pain. It stands for cannabinol (which is deceptively similar to the full name of CBD). CBN is a result of the breakdown of THC within the cannabis plant and strains with high THC make the effects of CBN stronger. In addition to being an analgesic, it is also associated with having anti-seizure and relieving eye pressure.

What does CBC do?

CBC enhances the effects of THC, making strains with high THC much more potent. It stands for cannabichromene. When used together with THC it also acts as a pain relief and anti-inflammatory.

What does CBG do?

CBG has a purely physical effect, with no psychoactive properties being present. It stands for cannabigerol and is not usually found in very significant amounts within medical marijuana. CBG is associated with the drowsiness that comes with the sedative effects of cannabis, it also acts as an anti-inflammatory and helps to relieve eye pressure.

Most medical marijuana strains will have all 5 cannabinoids to one degree or another. Whilst it is THC and CBD that are the most famous and most present, it is the combination of all 5 that will induce the effects medical users are looking for to maximum efficiency – each of these cannabinoids are much less effective when used by individually. Of the 5, CBN, CBC and CBG are often found in comparatively small amounts to THC and CBD.

I read back through the thread, which I’d only skimmed in passing during the last week, and now I see that cobbing has been already mentioned, frequently, so apologies for the redundancy.
I’m a bit lost on what we are trying to debate here. Even if the ‘science is clear’ on the decarb process, and I have no real idea if it actually is, it seems that science is very unclear about the overall picture when it comes to the complex interactions of cannabinoids. I’m pretty sure we all more or less know that this is the current state of affairs.
Which puts us exactly back to where we already were before post 1

What’s the end goal?

1) To get as high as possible?
2) Or to convert as much THC-a to THC as possible? And what would be the difference/point in this second one?

At least in the first case I’m pretty sure the team of top scientists here at Lab 420 is focussed on the same job and has got your best interests in mind.

Yup, very good summation! My aim is to make the best marijuana that I can grow, and then most efficiently consume it. I care more about the whole plant than THC! I'm actually more concerned about CBD - but that's because I'm a senior in pain. When I finally have my first crop, I plan to do the Cob thing and measure the temperature of the cob corn leave package, several times during it's curing! Is it possible that fermentation is causing the herb to heat up? and is decarboxylation happening then? I have no idea - just a thought.

This is my last post, decarboxylation is a very simple chemical process, it's not rocket science.

We know the conditions which turn THC-A, and CBD-A into usable medicine for our body.

Experiments have been done, in a lab with controls - that measure THC, and CBD before the chemical process and after - the lab experiment shows how simple the process is - and one of the "conditions" for this chemical process is time - the lab results show that - it's not someones opinion.

So why make it complicated, it isn't! Bye, Bye

see ya,, gotta go decarb some bud at 230 F

Is it possible that fermentation is causing the herb to heat up? and is decarboxylation happening then? I

Not possible IMO, that it’s heating up that hot, hotter than boiling. As for whether it’s decarbing- all I can say is that I compared eating my Honduras bud, cobbed vs uncobbed, and the high from cobbed bud was far stronger, after a couple weeks in the cob, than the uncobbed bud from the same plant, which had just been curing normally.

The regular uncobbed,, bud did give me a mild but very pleasant high, I should add, for the purposes of science. I think I ended up eating .7 grams of it. And .3 of the uncobbed bud the day after, which as I mentioned, got me much higher.
It ain’t science, but it was fun.

weas,, do you still regularly consume your cobs? i have yet to find a dosage that gives me any affect at all. i have dosed up to about your .7 gram of, in my case,, still moist cob. no affect. i figure, if i require a dosage over .7 gram,, well,, that's too much cannabis, regardless of the buzz

but i guess i best find the dosage, just so's i know,,

cheers friend

I make strong canna-coconut oil and butter on my stovetop. Sometimes I decarb in the oven first sometimes I don't. Usually I dont with butter. So let's go with that........

I put some water in a saucepan, a predetermined amount of butter and then let it melt completely. Before it starts to boil I add whatever amount of finely ground grass I decide is neccessary. I bring it to a boil and then simmer for however long I want depending on what I am making it for.

•I generally get a really good extraction at 2 hours, but it will not be fully activated. I find this fast butter gives only a slight body high and is very anti-inflammatory. Good meds.
•at 3 hours it gets me high, not super strong. Very functional with a general feeling of well being, some good giggles, nice to share with our light weight friends.
•I never did exactly 4 hours, but I have done about 4 1/2. I get high, sleepy, hungry, and generally share this strength with people who are steady medical users.

My favorite thing to make edible oils with is "already been vaped" stuff. Should have no potency left after being heated to 360° for 5-10 minutes. Makes the strongest edibles I have ever had. Half a peanut butter cup was like the feeling one gets at the beginning of a mushroom trip before it gets crazy. 1/4 is a functional dose for my wife and I. First night I ate a whole one, and never did that again.

A bit long winded, not my original intention. Perhaps it is due to the dose of sativa rso I took this morning.

Peace :ganjamon:

Nivek I ate various samples of Thai, Honduras, and Golden Tiger x Thai Stick cobs. My favourite for eating was the Honduras. But I’m not much one for edibles as I find them a little unpredictable, at least without a lot of experience. I mostly smoked the stuff.
I’m going to get into a more studious study of the difference between cobbed and uncobbed bud this winter when I get more time and freedom. My Carnival cob must be ready by now, and since that’s my new go-to smoke, it should be easy to quantify the differences.

Maybe try an oven decarb on half a gram of your cob, just for kicks?

My favorite thing to make edible oils with is "already been vaped" stuff. Should have no potency left after being heated to 360° for 5-10 minutes. Makes the strongest edibles I have ever had.

Peace :ganjamon:

how interesting,, the 'already been vaped' stuff part

here is why it is interesting

by already been vaped i am guess ing you mean the vaporizer poo as some call it. the used remains from a vaporizer,, you save this stuff and extract the oil from that??

my assumptions

i have a volcano vaporizer and i save all the vaporizer poo. so i am assuming you are talking something similar

reason being,, i too extracted the oil from several months of vaporizing with the volcano. it extracted a considerable amount of oil. about 15 ml

i have been trying, in my head, to determine the value, medicinally or recreationaly of this oil

i am currently using this oil to make pain relief potions, with oils and alcohols,, but i have no testing done on this extracted oil so i make more assumptions about its medicinal value. but it works so nuff said

what my main info quest is, and my thinking is, is that any oil extracted from any part of this cannabis plant, it is made up of the same stuff as the trichomes on the buds

most of the medicinal pain creams on the market today are made from oils extracted from cannabis seeds,, so that oil must contain the same cannabinoids as the buds

even pot pipe residue,, gross as it is still gets one buzzed,, (i know from my youth) because it is pot oils settling onto the pipe sides,, also mixed with gosh knows what else which is why its so gross. still contains cannabinoids tho

so you are saying your used vape stuff still packs a punch,, perhaps even more so

thanks you,, confirms some of my thinking,, cheers

one thing about this vape poo extracted oil,, curious if you agree,, it stinks to high heaven,, as does the tincture i am making,, tho the smell does not last long on the skin,, but man,, do it stink,, haha

cheers

how interesting,, the 'already been vaped' stuff part

here is why it is interesting

by already been vaped i am guess ing you mean the vaporizer poo as some call it. the used remains from a vaporizer,, you save this stuff and extract the oil from that??

my assumptions

i have a volcano vaporizer and i save all the vaporizer poo. so i am assuming you are talking something similar

reason being,, i too extracted the oil from several months of vaporizing with the volcano. it extracted a considerable amount of oil. about 15 ml

i have been trying, in my head, to determine the value, medicinally or recreationaly of this oil

i am currently using this oil to make pain relief potions, with oils and alcohols,, but i have no testing done on this extracted oil so i make more assumptions about its medicinal value. but it works so nuff said

what my main info quest is, and my thinking is, is that any oil extracted from any part of this cannabis plant, it is made up of the same stuff as the trichomes on the buds

most of the medicinal pain creams on the market today are made from oils extracted from cannabis seeds,, so that oil must contain the same cannabinoids as the buds

even pot pipe residue,, gross as it is still gets one buzzed,, (i know from my youth) because it is pot oils settling onto the pipe sides,, also mixed with gosh knows what else which is why its so gross. still contains cannabinoids tho

so you are saying your used vape stuff still packs a punch,, perhaps even more so

thanks you,, confirms some of my thinking,, cheers

one thing about this vape poo extracted oil,, curious if you agree,, it stinks to high heaven,, as does the tincture i am making,, tho the smell does not last long on the skin,, but man,, do it stink,, haha

cheers
I like to do the "POO" on my stovetop, same as my butter, but with coconut oil. About 1 1/2 - 2 hours and she is good and extracted. I make it strong. But unfortunately I don't weigh or measure.

I do agree, smells horribly. I find that the way I process it with the water and coconut oil clears that right up. All of the junk goes in the water and the medicine ends up in the oil.

Howdy 77, both CBD-A and THC-A need decarboxylation to burn off one carbon molecule changing these 2 compounds to CBD, and THC! I have made brownies, and not been happy with the buzz, then I stick the brownies back in at 240 for 40 minutes, and the brownies are "now" much more effective. When baking, it's impossible to tell what the temperature is inside the moisture in the brownie, or cake mix!
Thank you: Makes sense! However, there is a lot of reading an learning happening here :)

Back
Top Bottom