Desiccant packs, silica: Can it be used in soil?

Hayron1088

I’m seeing a lot of posts using silica packs for curing(obviously) but I have a potentially stupid question. I’m in the flooring industry and I get shipments in and they all have 3in by 6in desiccant bead packs(silica). I have to many to count actually. So to the question, can I use those as a supplement for silica in my soil grow? I’m using FFOF that has three cycles that has gone thru it and I re-amend with DrE Gold 4-4-4. My plants are on day 40 from seed and I’m noticing the bottom leaves are yellowing which is odd to me knowing what amendments I have in the soil. I’m hoping that the plant is just in shock as I up potted to 5-gallon fabric pots two days ago. Oh I forgot to add that they were in 1 gallon plastic pots with coco and my own worm castings for the first month of there beautiful little lives. So back to the main question, can I utilize these silica beads in my soil or no? I’m currently brewing a banana, molasses, drE Tea(light brew not too strong) in hope to give my soil and girls the boost they need. I hope this is enough info for all you amazing growers. Thanks in advance and hope to hear from you soon. The pic I’m attaching is a couple days ago and the bottom leaves have yellowed since then. It looks a lot healthier now and it’s not as droopy but still yellowing. The bottom big fan leaves turned yellow fast and I took them off(2 leaves only per plant) again, I hope this enough info for you all to help.

3A9ABAFE-DCBE-4D31-A8F6-19E07AE2F719.png

I would try, anything to breathe life back into plant. I would suggest not putting in soil but put a pack or two underneath fabric pot, as gravity pulls water down. Put entire pot in trash bag with two or three extra packs loosely on sides of pot inside trash bag, and then tie almost completely close around base of stalk leaving large enough opening for roots to get oxygen... ?? Haha, sounds plausible right?

I would try, anything to breathe life back into plant. I would suggest not putting in soil but put a pack or two underneath fabric pot, as gravity pulls water down. Put entire pot in trash bag with two or three extra packs loosely on sides of pot inside trash bag, and then tie almost completely close around base of stalk leaving large enough opening for roots to get oxygen... ?? Haha, sounds plausible right?
Keep them in the packets so it draws moisture down is your Avenue if I’m following? I suppose I could follow that! I’m hoping my nutrients take effect soon. I’ll keep you posted!

Gravity will take the water down. You're overthinking it. I can find no reccomendation to add the silica gel to soil, in addition, silica gel (which is basically silicon dioxide) absorbs many times it weight in water, however, once it absorbs all it can, you need to reactivate it by putting it in the oven at a low temp and basically cook the water off, not feasible to put in the soil.

I agree put them in the oven to dry them out, then use them for what they are intended for, removing moisture.. They would be great for drying mushrooms without using heat.
I like the mushroom idea for sure! Thanks for that, I have so many of these packs from new furniture and flooring shipments so I’ll never run out of free desiccant lol. Thanks for the info everyone.

Back
Top Bottom