Despite Obaba's Promise, DEA Continues Raids On Medical Marijuana Growers

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
CO - On Thursday, a Denver news station interviewed Chris Bartkowicz about his medical-marijuana operation in the basement of his home. Bartkowicz, confident of his compliance with state laws, boasted of its size and profitability.

"I'm definitely living the dream now," he told 9News.

The following day, drug-enforcement agents raided his home, placed him under arrest, and carried off dozens of black bags of marijuana plants and growing lights.

The Obama administration promised in October that the federal government would respect state laws allowing the growing and selling of marijuana for medicinal use, but the Drug Enforcement Agency sent a loud message with the arrest of Bartkowicz.

"It's still a violation of federal law," said Jeffrey Sweetin, the DEA special agent in charge of the Denver office. "It's not medicine. We're still going to continue to investigate and arrest people."

The United States Attorney's office will decide Tuesday if charges will be filed against Bartkowicz.

In an interview from his jail cell, Bartkowicz said he believes the DEA is making an example of him. He would never have exposed himself if he believed his business was illegal.
"If I knew what I was doing was illegal, I would have never made a public display of myself," he said. "I would not have put myself in the line of fire if I was knowingly violating the law."
Sweetin wasn't surprised by Bartkowicz' confidence.

"According to him and according to what he's seen on the news, he probably believes he is legal," Sweetin said.

And according to Sweetin, it isn't just growers who face arrest. The dispensaries are next on the list.

"The time is coming when we go into a dispensary, we find out what their profit is, we seize the building and we arrest everybody. They're violating federal law; they're at risk of arrest and imprisonment," he said to The Denver Post. "Technically, every dispensary in the state is in blatant violation of federal law."

Deputy U.S. Attorney General David Ogden told federal agents in an October memo to not target people in "clear and unambiguous compliance with existing state laws providing for the medical use of marijuana."

Sweetin said the memo does nothing to change federal law, which makes marijuana illegal.

The difference between the Obama administration's stated mission to end the "war on drugs" and the actual enforcement of that policy by DEA agents may not come as a surprise to those who have seen the Office of National Drug Control Policy's (ONDCP) budget for fiscal year 2011.

"We're not at war with people in this country," Kerlikowske told The Wall Street Journal in May.

But according to 2011 funding "highlights" released by the ONDCP (PDF link), the Obama administration is growing the drug war and tilting its funds heavily toward law enforcement over treatment.

During the interview in his jail cell, Bartkowicz said he realized his arrest is the center of a national debate and defended his right to publicly declare his business.

"I'm the poster boy now," he said. "If I am legal, why should I be in the shadows?"

NewsHawk: User: 420 Magazine - Cannabis Culture News & Reviews
Source: rawstory.com
Copyright: 2010 Raw Story

You have got to be kidding me, This means Obama's a lying c#@ksucker...WAKE UP AMERICA!!! :roorrip:

There are huge discrepancies in local (state) and federal laws. He could be in complete compliance of the law within the state of California, yet still suspected of a crime under federal law.

His own lack of understanding as to the inconsistencies in the law may have been a deciding factor in making the foolish decision to "go public".

As for Obama and his "promises", I am unaware of a single one he has lived up to yet.

:peace:

CO - On Thursday, a Denver news station interviewed Chris Bartkowicz about his medical-marijuana operation in the basement of his home. Bartkowicz, confident of his compliance with state laws, boasted of its size and profitability.

"I'm definitely living the dream now," he told 9News.

How could growing bud make this guy "live the dream" without doing something illegal. Is a caregiver allowed to make unlimited $$ from their grows? I'm not knowledgeable about the rights to profit under the caregiver status, in each state.

It seems to me he basically raised a flag and said come and get me by the statement he made.

Yeah it's still against Federal Law. And do you think Obama controls every member of government? Many, many rouge elements out with there own agenda, including the DEA. It'll be up-to the Attorney General to decide to prosecute. Other than that, I can't see how Obama went back on his promise. At least not yet.

There are huge discrepancies in local (state) and federal laws. He could be in complete compliance of the law within the state of California, yet still suspected of a crime under federal law.

His own lack of understanding as to the inconsistencies in the law may have been a deciding factor in making the foolish decision to "go public".

You had me here man!

As for Obama and his "promises", I am unaware of a single one he has lived up to yet.

And lost me here....

S.F.

Wow Obama did not do what he said he would hmmm what a shock, but really lets face it he is just as big a liar as all the people who came before him and all the people to come after him. The only way to bring about change is to make change, after all sitting around bitching and moaning about what is going on is not going to help anything. It is time for the people to make there own change, and to stop letting changes be made for them by bureaucratic A-holes who only care about themselves.

you got the power just vote them out of office and vote someone with your believes do it as many times as needed til someone understands the will get the message if its done but keep voting them back in does not help

I was just pointing out the sensationalism of this "news" report. And it's not accurate to say Obama has gone back on his promises. Does Obama manage your local police department, not likely. He can't personally handle everything the DEA does. Lets see how he addresses this situation.

To date, not a single FEDERAL case has been brought by the Attorney General, to my knowledge.

Everyone should reserve judgment until this works itself out. People may just be pleased with the outcome!

SF

PS. Cannibis prosecution WAS an objective of the Bush Administration

Hey BOOTumALL! I appreciate your passion... but please remember this site is different than most. I'm trying to think of way to say what I need to without making you defensive... and not finding it. So, all I can do is make a gentle suggestion... to be gentle.

I apoloigize but I'm passionate about liberty. Maybe I should not promote freedom and liberty in such obvious terms. I have never before been involved in elections other than to vote. At this point in time I feel this best of the best we have enjoyed for so long is in jeopardy. I not only want to espouse I want to recruit. What this site stands for is paramount in individual freedom. Correct me if I'm wrong. I do a little gardening myself you know!

P.S. I just picked up a thread I didn't start it.

Legal or no, that was a real dumb thing to do. Go on the news and show your hundreds of plants and talk about how you hope to clear $400,000 this year.

I hope he gets off, but damn, don't do interviews like that!

I used to hit myself in the head with a hammer just because it felt so good when I stopped!

Not Obama

Honestly when we had the last few catz To pick from I lost hope for that election. They were all Pretty worthless & anti MJ in my opinion. I didn't feel comfortable voting for any of them esp after Obama officially stated hes not for the legalization for MJ on his web site. Bogus Candidates = Bogus Results. We need to realy find someone in Favor of MJ that will also apeal to the voting majority & it looks like it will be a long wait.

:helpsmilie: I'm afraid you're right on this one. The dems, who normally want to control everything but claim to be "Liberal" are afraid. The GOP who claim they want to stay out of our lives support the unfounded archaic laws that were passed in a time of hysteria. I think its on a prudish religous foundation that fears the loss of our souls. Yet in the bible in Genesis, Ecclesiastes and various other chapters it says everything God put here was put here to be under mans dominion. And that we should enjoy the fruits of our labors just not to excess. Politicians are just out there to get re-elected.:yummy:

Back
Top Bottom