Determining what time of the year to start growing & harvesting your cannabis for your region

Slayer717

So, in trying to determine what time of the year to start growing your cannabis outdoors, here's a helpful website that will allow you to check the daylight hours and the night time hours for planting.

Time&Date.com

Enter the region you reside in at the Time & Date website and lookup the sunlight hours. The graph in the pic below let's you know the day and night schedules for the entire year. So for my region it would be late March to early April is the peak planting season to start & late September early Oct for harvesting, this will be different depending on where you live so check the charts. Keep in mind where outside you're gonna be growing your cannabis cause beginning of April to Oct is around 6 months and it'll be in a vegetative state for around 5 so that's a huge plant to have in your yard. If you don't want a plant as big as your house maybe you should start later in the season to plant depending on your chart results. Ideally you can grow bud year around but you must wait till the 12 on 12 off period of the year for you region for the plant to produce flowers.

I've found this website to be very helpful and just thought l'd post a quick read on the subject for others who are looking into planting for the 1st time as I have.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200620-190237.png
    Screenshot_20200620-190237.png
    121.3 KB · Views: 344
Thank You, I will check it out. I am going for auto flower this year, but might try it next year. Cheers

Remember that the times given are Astronomical times. The sunrise is measured from the moment the sun touches the horizon in the morning. The evening time is the moment that the entire sun drops below the horizon line. It does not measure when the sun is perfectly balanced with half above and half below the line.

Then we have to adjust the times for anything that might create a shadow in the morning such as trees, shrubs, buildings, walls & fences before the sun is high enough. I compensate for all that by knocking an hour off the length of day in the morning and again in the evening.

Here in southeast Michigan we will see our outdoor plants starting to flower sometime between the beginning and mid month in August. The official times are going to be about 14 hours but the plants are not getting enough light early and late in the day so they are starting to get the 12 continuous hours of dim or dark light needed to produce the hormone that starts the flowering process.

Coming back to check the New Messages here in mid August and we will see people from Michigan and the US Midwest and Ontario, Canada saying that they have 14 hours of light. For the Detroit area it will be August 12th when there will be a sunrise of 6:36 am and sunset of 8:36 pm for Detroit according to the Astronomical times. They will be saying that their plants are starting to flower.

Won't be until Sept 25 when the sunrise of 7:23 am and sunset of 7:23 gives a 12 hour stretch of continuous sunlight and 12 hours of dark.

Remember that the times given are Astronomical times. The sunrise is measured from the moment the sun touches the horizon in the morning. The evening time is the moment that the entire sun drops below the horizon line. It does not measure when the sun is perfectly balanced with half above and half below the line.

Then we have to adjust the times for anything that might create a shadow in the morning such as trees, shrubs, buildings, walls & fences before the sun is high enough. I compensate for all that by knocking an hour off the length of day in the morning and again in the evening.

Here in southeast Michigan we will see our outdoor plants starting to flower sometime between the beginning and mid month in August. The official times are going to be about 14 hours but the plants are not getting enough light early and late in the day so they are starting to get the 12 continuous hours of dim or dark light needed to produce the hormone that starts the flowering process.

Coming back to check the New Messages here in mid August and we will see people from Michigan and the US Midwest and Ontario, Canada saying that they have 14 hours of light. For the Detroit area it will be August 12th when there will be a sunrise of 6:36 am and sunset of 8:36 pm for Detroit according to the Astronomical times. They will be saying that their plants are starting to flower.

Won't be until Sept 25 when the sunrise of 7:23 am and sunset of 7:23 gives a 12 hour stretch of continuous sunlight and 12 hours of dark.
Good to know, nothing better than experience to clarify a problem. Cheers

It actually does show the balance period.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200630-232539.png
    Screenshot_20200630-232539.png
    144.8 KB · Views: 223
20200813_170739.jpg

Appalachian, 40°N.
August 13. Hybrid
Pretty much right on schedule. Some of my outdoor Girl Scout Cookies are just behind those. All my plants had that little change in the growth tips about 10 days or so ago telling me that they were starting. Now I have to figure out how to go through the transition of bringing them inside.

Been using the website for months now and my female just started flowering right on schedule a couple of weeks back. Smells amazing!!

Attachments

• IMG_20200924_222929213.jpg
    IMG_20200924_222929213.jpg
    829 KB · Views: 172
Back
Top Bottom