Dexter's Soil Amnesia - Jack Widow - THC Bomb - Auto White Widow - First Grow Journal

DexterHashish

Hey folks,

First grow here. Stoked to share! Here's whats up:

4 plants, plus a test run plant I have left over.

Copied from my introduction - "Over the past few months, I decided to germ some stress ganj seeds (30's, dirtweed, shwag, whatever you call, just really bad disgusting cheap stuff hah.) I bought some organic soil and nutes from a local hydroponics shop, a 5 gallon bucket, and a 4 pack of $3 CFL probably 20w from homedepot. Stuck it all in a corner and out popped 5 little babes... The noob mistakes I made.. 1 tbsp raw nutes on soil, PER SEEDLING, over watering, using a space heater (burned one completely to a soggy mush,) the list goes on haha oh man did I learn so much."

After I really started getting into this I ordered some seeds offline and have some what of an investment in a grow rig.

- 4x4x6.something drizo tent
- 600w HID - MH conversion and a HPS
- Can-Fan RS4 and ducting
- FoxFarm Ocean Forest soil
- Roots Organic - [(have)] Buddha Grow, Buddha Bloom, [(picking up tommorow)] Trinity Bio-Catalysy, HPK, HP2, Ancient Amber, Extreme Serene, Oregonism XL

STRAINS:
- Amnesia
- THC Bomb
- Jack Widow
- Auto White Widow

Right now I'm in plastic containers, going to transplant them into Roots Organic's fabric pots 5 gal (auto will go into a 3 gal) once they're a little bigger.

The veg'd mystery stress plant was my test dummy.. as you can tell from above I noobed it pretty hard, but I'm pretty sure I'm on the right track now. Question though, any thoughts on it's sex? I'll flower it in another room if it's worth it, might give it to a buddy though to experiment with.

As for the 4 quality babygirls, just giving em 6-6.4 pH'd distilled water for now, every 2-3 days as needed, been sticking my finger knuckle deep to judge. No nutrients yet, dude at the hydro store said my soil is packed with nutes and should be good for the first week or two.

They're about a week old, going to start my nute cycle tomorrow once I get the rest of the Roots Organic collection. Also picking up an electronic pH meter, exhale CO2 bag(s) (test it out until I can invest in a tank and regulator,) the fabric pots I was talking about, thermo/hydrometer, little LED hat light for night time work, timers for the fans, flame defender, and something for gnats and larva if I run into that problem again..

Plan on vegging for 2-3 weeks from tomorrow then switching to 12/12.

I guess that's it for today, things seem to be going well. Only question I have is what would you guys recommend I do with the dummy plant? And please, any comments/questions/suggestions/criticism, all very much appreciated.

Check em out! :thumb:

2013-08-08_23_41_00.jpg

2013-08-08_23_40_20.jpg

2013-08-08_23_38_13.jpg

2013-08-08_23_37_27.jpg

2013-08-08_23_37_03.jpg

2013-08-08_23_36_45.jpg

2013-08-08_23_36_33.jpg

2013-08-08_23_36_15.jpg

2013-08-08_23_36_00.jpg

2013-08-08_23_35_33.jpg

2013-08-08_23_35_21.jpg

And thanks again :420: this site is awesome.

subscribed. I recommend you do not add any nutrients until the plants are 4-5 inches tall and have 5 nodes then start with 1/4 recommended strength nutrients and increase as your plants grow, too many people when they begin growing make the the mistake of adding too strong nutrients too soon to their plants. your FoxFarm Ocean Forest soil will have more then enough nutrients for them for a while. you may want to keep the "dummy" cannabis plant and flower it as well.

Awesome, thanks for the advice guys.

John, I will hold off on nutrients until I see 5 nodes and I'll go by Roots's recommended mix at 1/4 strength to start. Every other water for nutrient application sound alright? And can I use a little Oregonism XL at least to help with my root growth?

RainStack, I'll definitely tidy up. I'll move the bricks and ballast outside of the tent, and get the box out, I was just using it to raise the babies a little. Unfortunately when I hung my reflector and fan I did not factor in the fact that I would have to lower it at some point so my ducting is really short, should probably just redo that so I can lower it instead of stacking objects. As for sanitizing, what product do you recommend? I make my own non-toxic cleaners because normal ones irritate the crap out of my nose and skin, you think a simple mix of water, vinegar and lemon juice would be alright?

And I'm glad you guys think the dummy plant is alright. Think it's a girl? I don't want to risk flowering it and having it pollinate my other plants. Also, it's in a 3 gal pot, recommend I swap to a 5? Should I wait until the small girls are ready and switch everything into flower? If not, do you think a small 250w hps in a dark room would be alright to flower it? Or do you recommend getting a smaller tent/make a box and a T5/cfls for the little guys, keeping dummy in the large tent with an hps. So many options... thanks for the help guys.

John, I will hold off on nutrients until I see 5 nodes and I'll go by Roots's recommended mix at 1/4 strength to start. Every other water for nutrient application sound alright? And can I use a little Oregonism XL at least to help with my root growth?

RainStack, I'll definitely tidy up. I'll move the bricks and ballast outside of the tent, and get the box out, I was just using it to raise the babies a little. Unfortunately when I hung my reflector and fan I did not factor in the fact that I would have to lower it at some point so my ducting is really short, should probably just redo that so I can lower it instead of stacking objects. As for sanitizing, what product do you recommend? I make my own non-toxic cleaners because normal ones irritate the crap out of my nose and skin, you think a simple mix of water, vinegar and lemon juice would be alright?

And I'm glad you guys think the dummy plant is alright. Think it's a girl? I don't want to risk flowering it and having it pollinate my other plants. Also, it's in a 3 gal pot, recommend I swap to a 5? Should I wait until the small girls are ready and switch everything into flower? If not, do you think a small 250w hps in a dark room would be alright to flower it? Or do you recommend getting a smaller tent/make a box and a T5/cfls for the little guys, keeping dummy in the large tent with an hps. So many options... thanks for the help guys.

Hey Dex--
checking out your journal -- looking good -
I agree with the one guy who said get rid of the box and bricks -- keep your room clean plus i would def flower that plant at least find out if its a female if it is why not flower it -- growing indoors wil get you decent end result even if its ''bag'' weed besides you dont know what strain it could possibly be -- youd be surprised how nice it will turn out --i had a buddy grow some bag seeds and it budded some dank -- small buds but dank still and lots of them thnk he got about an ounce per ft
a 250 hps will def flower that one plant just put it in a small enough space with mylar --

agree dont use any nutes till its got at least the first set of true leaves maybe 2 sets then def 1/4 strength and move up thats what i did --worked pretty good
check back soon -- take care

Sub'd. The setup and girls look good. Definitely flower that dummy plant, it looks very healthy. You'll never know what sex it is till you flower it. And like the last post said, it just might turn out awesome.
Good luck with the grow, and reps from me too for the 1st.journal and very nice experimental plant.:)

:rollit:

the FoxFarm Ocean Forest soil you have selected has too many nutrients for small plants in it already, i would not add more. it would be better if you could mix the FoxFarm Ocean Forest soil 50% with regular potting soil and perlite. the Oregonism XL is a mycorrhizae product and can be used, i have started to use mycorrhizae myself.

Hey guys,

Little update here. Acquired the rest of my nutes, electronic pH tester, fabric pots, temp/hydrometer, exhale bags, some other things. I also made my own non-toxic sanitizer out of distilled water, white vinegar, grapefruit seed extract and a few drops of lime oil for fragrance. Next investment will be a smaller tent with a 2ft 8-bulb T5 fixture for the babies to veg-out in while I switch the large room to 12/12 with my HPS to flower the test plant. Cross your fingers for a girl! She/he is getting pretty big... I also plan on posting a "how to" in the DIY section for hanging the Exhale CO2 bags (I couldn't find one anywhere!) and for making the non-toxic sanitizer.

Anyway, here are some pictures with some more details. And please, any comments, suggestions, criticisms, all very much appreciated.

Stay high :tokin:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All the goodies..
2013-08-09_20_43_05.jpg

Numbers I like to see
2013-08-09_20_52_26.jpg

Stuff needed to hang Exhale bags:
2013-08-11_20_08_34.jpg

2013-08-11_20_17_11.jpg

2013-08-11_20_18_48.jpg

I taped the top of the bag for some reinforcement, I don't want the clamps breaking through the Exhale bag.
2013-08-11_20_17_24.jpg

Close up of clamped/secured Exhale's:
2013-08-13_15_45_19.jpg

Bags up!
2013-08-13_15_45_09.jpg

2013-08-13_15_46_03.jpg

2013-08-13_15_46_12.jpg

Non-toxic cleaner (strong): 8oz spray bottle: Half distilled water, half distilled white vinegar, 15-30 drops of grapefruit seed extract, 3-10 drops essential lime oil. I used an oscillating fan on high for about 15-30 min with the door open for everything to dry, which will also get rid of any leftover vinegar smell.
2013-08-13_16_04_21.jpg

Neat, clean, sanitized grow room :)
2013-08-13_15_47_01.jpg

The Girls! The one without a tag is the younger Jack Widow.
2013-08-13_15_49_02.jpg

2013-08-13_15_49_15.jpg

2013-08-13_15_49_29.jpg

2013-08-13_15_49_49.jpg

Test plant:
2013-08-13_15_51_57.jpg

Re: Dexter's Soil Amnesia - Jack Widow - THC Bomb - Auto White Widow - First Grow Jou

Hello friends,

Quick update... Transplanted the test from the 3 gal to the 5 gal fabric, no problems at all she (hopefully!) loves the new home! Also switched to my HPS and 12/12, has been for 3 days now. From the pictures bellow, any signs of sex yet?? I also have the 4 little guys in a temporary home under an 8 bulb, 2ft T5. They'll have a nice small tent in a few days now. Don't mind the gal on the upper right... cats got to her and she's a bit over watered. Otherwise things are going well, just far too anxious to know if the test plant is female.. If you all happen to see signs please let me know!

As always, comments/questions/suggestions/criticism, all very much appreciated.

Be well,
Dexter :tokin:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Test plant looking happy in the bloom room :yummy: is she a she??
2013-08-18_12_55_49.jpg

Girl?
2013-08-18_12_57_09.jpg

Girl??
2013-08-18_12_57_35.jpg

Girl???
2013-08-18_12_58_16.jpg

Temporary T5 home for the little babes...
2013-08-18_12_59_34.jpg

:thanks::420:

Re: Dexter's Soil Amnesia - Jack Widow - THC Bomb - Auto White Widow - First Grow Jou

I see a couple things on one or two of them I dont like. But Im not gonna confirm female male yet. :) Too soon for my eyes. Give it a few more day and it will be easier to tell. The over all health seems to be very good sir!

I see a couple things on one or two of them I dont like. But Im not gonna confirm female male yet. :) Too soon for my eyes. Give it a few more day and it will be easier to tell. The over all health seems to be very good sir!

Thanks Spimp!

Here are a few more I just took... I'm pretty sure it's a dude but I may be wrong.. Let me know if I should toss it, guys. I'll be putting the Auto White Widow in that room early if it's male.

Cheers :rollit:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2013-08-20_22_37_00.jpg

2013-08-20_22_36_09.jpg

2013-08-20_22_35_30.jpg

it does look male unfortunately, but I'm not an expert by any means. I'd wait for more experienced growers to chime in. :goodluck:

Ya, that's a boy - chuck it.

Same thing happened to me on my test plant. It was really pretty like yours, too. Rats.

Ya, that's a boy - chuck it.

Same thing happened to me on my test plant. It was really pretty like yours, too. Rats.

Thanks, Graytail. I'm getting rid of him now and putting the auto plant inside. Major bummer, but I learned a lot at least.

Sorry for the delay on an update guys. Some unfortunate things happened and I had to find a new home for the girls. On the bright side, I'm the primary caretaker hah and I have 3 additional white widows and another tester plant from my buddies that are currently in flower so we're hoping for the best! The little guys are being trained and are in the little tent, unfortunately with the move and confusion on some ends they were a little over done with nutrients but I think they'll be alright, I'll post pictures in a few days.

As for the newly acquired plants, they've grown through some sketchy conditions. 1 tester plant (same bag seed as my old one) and 3 white widows female seeds. They look a little stretched due to the 2 bulb T8 setup they were vegging in. The soil and pots my friends were using were small and garbage as well so I transplanted those into 5 gal smart pots with some ocean forest and Oregonism xl. They also over fed the white widows, every leaf has brown burnt tips. Hopefully all will be well.. I will post pictures of these as well.

Cheers,
Dexter

Back
Top Bottom