Dick23rk's Fresh Start: Mantis Nutrients Featuring MedicGrow's New Spectrum X+ 880w Light Panel

Hello everyone, I'm Dick! Yes, it's fine, you can call me that. I'm used to it :p haha
Been quite a while since I've been around these parts, I kind of got out of growing for a little bit and put more time into other hobbies. This year I had been toying with the idea of renovating and cleaning up my grow room to get back at it, while doing so and getting some babies popping above ground I thought maybe I should start up another journal. My past journals were a great experience here and I hope to make some new memories, friends and learn even more as I go. So whoever would like to come and pull up a seat for this ride, have at it and light one up. Let's get down to what we have going on around here.

My grow space
10 'x 12' vented room in the basement, mostly sealed with white poly, still some improvements to be made
2 x 600w MH lights moving to 880w Spectrum X panel upon arrival
2 x 6" air cooled hoods with duct fan pushing towards main room exhaust
Furnace blower on speed controller built in to work as a whole room exhaust, unknown cfm, way more than needed
Fans - 2 x 6" clip ons, 2 x 16" oscillating, 1 x 20" box fan
Shelving unit with bottom shelf being used as propagation area with 4 x 52w fluorescent sunblasters.
Water reservoir if needed - roughly 100L - with air pump and stones

Strains currently starting
4 x Skunk #1 by G13 Labs - description from their website
Type: 70% Indica 30% Sativa
Lineage: Acapulco Gold x Afgan x Columbian Gold
Indoor: 450 gr/m2;
Outdoor: 600-800 gr/plant50-60 days indoor; mid-October outdoor
Flavour: Skunk, Fine Hardwood, fruity
Aroma: Strong Skunk with Sweet Fruity backnotes
Effects: Physical, Mental, Balanced
THC: 12-16%

6 x Sundae Banana Cookies by Greenpoint Seeds - description from their website
Flowering legnth: 62-70 days
Finished height: Medium tall - Tall
Lineage: Sundae Driver (Fruity Pebbles OG x Grape Pie) X Black Banana Cookies (Banana Fire Cookies x Black Berry Kush)
Aroma: Mixed berries, Cookie Dough
Flavor: Banana bread, Tropical Fruit

Nutrients, Water & Medium
Mantis Buffered Nutrients - All-in-one 1.5-2.7-2.3
1 bottle and same dose through the whole grow, that's it. 5ml/L
I am very interested to try it out. It has a ph buffer that stays in the optimal range of 5.2-6.2 through the plants whole life and the one bottle has all the nutrients needed by any cannabis plant. This would be especially helpful in perpetual grows or autoflower strains. We will see how it goes!

Reverse Osmosis water and/or tap water
I plan to start using our town tap water in my grow room, I was always strictly RO water for the longest time because it was the easiest to work with. But I also noticed it was getting a little expensive filling the jugs. I do have a small under sink style RO system but I don't think that would be efficient for a larger grow. The mantis nutrients also advise not to use RO water due to the buffing agent but there are some options they gave me for using it if I want to. So I will try just the tap water first and see how it goes, the plants are currently getting straight tap ph'd water. May be adjusted in the future.

Soilless medium - Promix HP with mycorrhizae
Not a lot to say about this stuff, it's a high porosity peat based mix with about 30% perlite.
I used to mix in some extra with this mix but there's really no need to, its works great as is.

**Spectrum X light panel from MedicGrow**
Lets get started on our introduction of this monster light panel from one of our 420Mag sponsors, MedicGrow. Once it arrives the MH lights will be taken down.

To start with, I'd like to say that my experience so far has been very good with this company. We have emailed back and forth numerous times, they are prompt to answer any questions I may have and pretty speedy on the replies as well.
Thank you @MedicGrow for allowing me this opportunity to showcase your Spectrum X+ light panel!

Lets start with unboxing the light panel. Everything came in 2 boxes, the main panel and hardware was in 1 larger box and the 2 UV/IR light bars were in another smaller box. Both were packaged very well with huge foam panels inside to protect the products even if they got bumped around, I was impressed how well it was protected. Unfortunately I did not get pictures when I first opened the box, minor details.

Inside the main box was a small box right on top with the hardware for the panel. It comes with the booklet, 6' power cord, plug socket adapter, hanging cables and the daisy chain cable to connect more than 1 panel.

So I got the panel out of the box, it feels pretty heavy duty and weights about 35lbs. It comes folded up, there are hinges on each side of the driver housing/frame, this is convenient for storage compared to some other models out there this size that don't fold up from what I've seen. Once I unfolded it on the table, I opened up the UV/IR bars and started to secure them, they just snap on in between the fixed light bars and the cable screws into a provided port for power.

Right away I took it downstairs to my grow room to start hanging it up. Once I measured and got my hanging hooks in place, my wife helped me to hang the panel. We started with the middle main frame, once hung on the provided cable we opened up each wing and secured the second set of cables on each end to hold up the wings. Sorry I didn't get any pictures of this process but it's pretty straight forward.

The cables they provide are a different style from what I'm used to, they have a little plush pin in the top to adjust the height and you just pull the cable through to where you want it and let go of the pin for it to lock. The cables for the wings are set up in a Y formation so you can slide the cable and level out the panel, then you tighten a screw in the bottom so it wont slide anymore. Handy little cables.

Now, onto the light panel itself. It seems very sturdy and made with some quality hardware. There's nothing to get snagged on as you walk around the hanging panel and all the cables are secure as well, they either click in or screw in. The display panel is very well shaped, it doesn't stick out and stays somewhat protected. It also shows you the PPF and wattage output levels on the display as you turn the dimmer up or down, very nice to have. The dimmer and timer knobs are on top out of the way, as well as the red and uv/ir buttons. The daisy chain connections and power are on the opposite end. The timer only goes from 6-16hrs, I have been told this would be changed in the near future. It's not a big issue though as you can leave the timer off on the panel and use your own timer at the plug.

Once we got everything hung and in place, it was time to turn this panel on and see how it works. I was very impressed! I started to turn the knob from the off position, there is a click point for it to be completely turned off, and once the knob is turned to 30% the light turns on. At this point is when I said "wow" because the light intensity compared to the MH bulbs that were still on was crazy, and it wasn't even turned way up yet. I was able to take a couple of comparison shots for you all on this one. First we have just the 2 x 600W MH bulbs, then the Spectrum X panel at 30%, and again at 100%. These shots were taken without the red or uv/ir buttons on, we will get to those next.

So there's 4 different spectrum settings on this panel, plus the option to turn on extra red lighting for flowering. We have V1, V1 + UV/IR, F1 and F1 + UV/IR. The V1 options are for veg with more blue light and the F1 options are for flower with more red light. Also if you have the Spectrum Y daisy chained, when you change the spectrums on the X's display, it will also change it on the Y. This is a very convenient option to have and makes this panel great for every stage of your grow. Here are all the different spectrums that will show on your display as you change them.

I have not had a chance to do any sort of par tests on the panel, I will be looking for a decent app on my phone to do this with as I do not have a par meter at the moment. Here are the ppfd distribution sheets that are provided on MedicGrow's website, they seem fairly impressive. The efficacy of this panel is rated at 2.8umol/J and the PPF light output is rated up to 2297umol/s. I have not broken down all the stats yet to compare these numbers, but have watched a couple other videos on ways to do so, I will check those out in the future.

This is my first really nice LED light panel so I don't have much to compare to, but I will say that the light this panel gives off is amazing. With that being said, I am going to give this panel the best possible testing that I can personally can with what I have available. I am going to continue my current grow journal with just this light panel, I should be able to fit everything under it as it has about a 6x6 footprint, they say 5x5 for flower by the time you get the light closer to the plants. As for now, I'd say that's about it for an introduction on this panel. Once I have used it for a while longer, or even completed this round of plants, I will do a full final review in the appropriate sections of the 420Mag forums. Now lets test this monster light out on growing some buds, that's what we got it for! Thanks to everyone who took the time to read through this intro, I greatly appreciate every single one of you! Also, if there's any questions or comments about the light, please feel free to ask or comment away, I'd like the feedback!

*I will stop this post here for now and begin with a 2nd part introducing the plants, talking about their life so far and what we've done, as well as what we plan to do in the near future. Thanks for stopping in to look everyone! Glad to be back in action!

Back again with more of an update to get us caught up to speed. It's finally time to meet all the ladies to be :yahoo:
We are only about 2 weeks into this now and the 2 strains were started at separate times (afterthoughts)
Lets get up to speed! Future updates will be a little more clean than this.

Skunk #1
Feb 18th - 5 beans put into damp paper towels inside a small container and set in a dark warm space
Feb 20th - 5 popped and showing taproot, planted into jiffy peat pods and placed under t5's in a tray with dome
Feb 22nd - 4 babies out of the dirt now, not sure if the other is going to make it
Feb 23rd - 4 placed into temporary styrofoam cups with promix and plain ph'd tap water
Feb 27th - 1 baby didn't make it I guess, 4 moved into their small pots with domes until transplant is needed
March 2nd - everything is still going fine with these ones, all working on their 3rd node, a few yellow spots on the one fingered leaves but nothing serious yet, could have been the tap water didn't sit long enough.

Here are a few pictures I was able to upload. I need to make sure my camera settings are set lower so I don't have size issues when uploading. Live and learn with these new super cameras on phones haha. Here's days 5 and 10

Sundae Banana Cookies
Feb 27th - 6 beans put into damp paper towels just like the last batch
Feb 28th - 6 popped and almost all showing taproot, into jiffy peat pods like before
Mar 2nd - 5 babies above ground and the other looks to be moving some dirt about to pop up, I'll say we have 6 and plant all of them into their small pots with domes.
Mar 4th - all 6 babies are doing well, they took a quick 1 inch sprout up and the stalk is nearly as big as the 10 day old skunk plants, I think they will be a very vigorous plants judging by how quick they have popped up. We shall see!

Here's some pictures I took today of them for you to see, barely even day 2 for the wee ones.

And that's the update on all the plants so far. I haven't totally decided on what the final pot size will be and what I will use, I have quite a variety of bags and pots. I might do a mix as comparison. Once the pots are dried up a little from the main wetting of the promix I will be starting the Mantis nutrients feeding schedule. I wont lie, I'm a little nervous to start feeding so early, especially at 5ml per liter. I've looked at a few other grow with these nutes and it can be used on seedling and cuttings. Another thing we shall find out in the coming days.

Anything anyone would like to know feel free to ask. Anything you think maybe I could improve on or try different, I am always open to hearing it. Lets get this party started :cheer::snowboating: Much love!

Well I just got a copy my towns water analysis and to say the least I'm not sure if I want to use anything from the tap on these plants. TDS right now is sitting at 1493ppm according to last month's tests. And after letting the chlorine evaporate its still pretty high, especially for young plants.

The nutrients I'm using are only supposed to run at about 500ppm I think it was throughout the whole grow. So that amount plus what's left in the water after sitting a couple of days.

Those who drop by can have a look at this water analysis and let me know what you think.

That is a scary amount of Barium :/
That is also micrograms, not milligrams. So that's actually 0.584ppm, less than 1ppm if my calculations are right. But we still don't drink the tap water regardless haha

Went and snapped a couple pictures of everyone, took the domes off for a bit and aerated the top layer of dirt a little for some air. Hoping to be able to feed them and switch back to RO water this weekend to get things balanced back out from the crappy tap water.

Day 11 - Skunk #1

I will do a full update on the room on Sunday, buts here's a little more progress on these toddler skunks. Yellowing seems to have subsided for now. Hoping a feed with mantis will fill them back up with color and produce some more vigor, they were growing quickly.

Happy Shatterday Saturday folks!

Last night I let all the wee ones have their first night of darkness since it all started. They got about 6 hours of dark instead of 8 by the time I got the timers set. I put all the domes back on for the night to keep some warmth and humidity in.

This morning they are all still looking pretty perky when I went in to say hi. Took the domes off again for most of the day today. They might be ready for that feeding tonight when I get home, we will see how late it is. If late then we will get it done Sunday morning.
Take care for now, I'll be back later!

good beginnings. :)

do you normally run 16 / 8 in veg ?
i been on 18 / 6 forever but i cheat a bit with weak lights. main light runs 16 and it's more than enough usually.

good beginnings. :)

do you normally run 16 / 8 in veg ?
i been on 18 / 6 forever but i cheat a bit with weak lights. main light runs 16 and it's more than enough usually.
Thanks bluter, glad to have ya. No I don't normally, I was just messing around in there last night. Had them on 24hrs and then by the time I flipped to the timer they just only got 6 hours dark lol will be 18/6 from now on though

i run a two-stage light in veg.
they get an hour of weak burple one either end. main light is on for 16hrs. if you get enough ppfd off the main then you can pinch even more pennies that way. :cheesygrinsmiley:

I did have a decent led panel I would have liked to hang in the middle of my 2 HID's but parts of the panel started to die out on me. Disappointing because I got good results with that one. If I ever take it apart and get it working it will hang in here too. Otherwise I'm ordering another ballast to hang a batwing reflector with another 600w tonhave 3 of them, that will cover the area pretty good

Just got home from being gone all day. After eating I checked on the plants before the light go off, domes have been off all day with no adverse effects from the low humidity. Right now it's 24-26%, a little higher than it was when I first fired up the room.

So the pots are starting to dry out enough to go for a first feeding. The babies pots still have a little weight to them compared to the skunks but we will do them all at once to keep it simple. I haven't even used the nutrients yet and I'm already excited about not having to mix 2 different strengths.

Will see how they fair out tomorrow!

P.S. I'm also really thinking about starting up 2 dwc buckets right soon to keep at the back of the room as an experiment. I haven't dove into straight hydro yet and I feel I need to.

It's feeding day!!! :yahoo:

Getting things gathered up and cleaned before feeding the ladies and then there will be an update later today!

Hello again everyone! Time for a rather decent sized update. We got some new supplies coming soon, feedings, a couple more plants will be added and the DWC/bubbleponics setup is coming to life! I'm excited to finally try it out. Lets have a look!

Feeding the wee ones first, they were all looking great this morning when I went to check on them and the pots were light enough on the Skunks but still a little bit to the SBC's. I made up 1 litre of nutrient mix using RO water into my spray tank, followed by a 2nd litre - 5ml/L
All plants got roughly 200ml of mix each and a little bit of runoff. This stuff is a different looking green color. Good thing this stuff is ph buffered because I ran into an issue, see next paragraph.

I found out today that my cheapy ph pen is no longer any good. I got everything to calibrate it after not using it for almost 2 years, and it wont take a reading or calibrate, comes up with "error" when trying to calibrate. So I splurged a little and got the next best version possibly? it's not a blue labs, but I couldn't quite squeeze one of those right now. So I grabbed a vivosun version ph/tds/temp meter, hope it works ok.

Lets have a look at our DWC project/experiment.. This is all new to me, I have read many different journals over the years and learned lots about it, even bought most of the supplies and never dove into it. So I set up the buckets and got them running with a cheap air pump and stones that are only going to be temporary until the new goodies comes, got a better air pump and stones. This was basically just to mock everything up and run it to check temps. I also wanted to get my clay balls rinsed and ready as well. My bucket lids were originally for 6" rockwool cubes, but I wont be using those yet.

The air pump I grabbed is also vivosun, a 950gph/32watt. Hoping it does the trick and isn't ridiculously loud, but sound isn't overly and issue downstairs. I also grabbed some round 5.5" air stones that appear to be able to stand up or lay down, grabbed 4 in case I need 2 in each bucket. And some extra air line and fittings to make things easier.

Now, I'm sure this is obvious, but we need to fill the holes in those buckets with some sort of plant right? So I went into my little vault (bag) and dug around to find something to just throw in and experiment with. I had a bunch of freebie seeds that come with orders all the time, and I just so happened to have 2 seeds of 1 strain. We are hoping to welcome a couple of Big Bang's from Green House seeds. Lets have a look at this strains info.

Big Bang by Green House Seeds
Genetics: Skunk x Northern Lights x El Nino
Flowering time: 8-9 weeks
Yield: Up to 800g/m2
Finished height: Short, bushy
Relaxing and calming effect, good for pain control and appetite stimulation. Well known for its medicinal properties.

I suppose its time we get to the plants themselves. Even though there's really not much to say about them at this point lol
They seem to be striving along and not really minding the low humidity as long as they have something to drink. Since the feeding, I did notice 2 of the skunks leaf tips turned down to the soil and the other 2 stayed looking fine, this can happen lots when feeding/watering so I'm sure they will perk back up by tomorrow. I am leaving the domes off the pots since the medium is nice an moist. They seem to be taking the feeding rather well otherwise.

Skunk #1 - Day 13

The SBC babies also with the same feeding didn't even flinch, they love it! No droopiness or fluctuations of any sort yet, still looking up to the light gods above. I think they will be very hardy plants. Lets hope they take right off from the feed.

Sundae Banana Cookies - Day 5

I'd have to say that's about it for today.. I don't think I missed anything but I likely did haha. We can catch it in the next update though. Hopefully the new supplies will show up in a timely manner, says middle of next week but sometimes its quicker. There will be a few more small things to grab as well soon like pot risers and c02 bags.
Hope everyone enjoyed the update, I know it seems rather long with all the pictures, but who doesn't like pictures lol Please let me know if there's anything I can do differently in my updates or other things you might like me to include, I'm always looking to improve!

I'm in and all caught up, D!

You've got a nice grow underway and I'm pumped to watch it all the way through!

I'm really interested in the Mantis nutrients, but they don't seem to be available in the U.S.

Happy to meet you! :Rasta:

I'm in and all caught up, D!

You've got a nice grow underway and I'm pumped to watch it all the way through!

I'm really interested in the Mantis nutrients, but they don't seem to be available in the U.S.

Happy to meet you! :Rasta:
Glad to have ya grand daddy! Thanks for jumping in. :passitleft:

I'm always trying to keep it interesting around here so I've been known to get into many different things.

Yes unfortunately these nutrients are only available in Canada at the moment. It's something to do with how they were specifically designed for cannabis and advertised that way (Also health canada approved) So that's where the trouble comes in shipping to the states I believe, because cannabis is legal here federally, and not in the US.

I did hear of 1 website that was able to ship to the states at one point. I'll have to see if I can find that again. Or maybe @MANTISmike knows, he's a rep I was asking some questions to that dropped in to watch the grow.

I'd appreciate it, D.

Let's just try to keep this between you and me so I can be the first in the US to get some! :laughtwo:

I'd appreciate it, D.

Let's just try to keep this between you and me so I can be the first in the US to get some! :laughtwo:
No problem! There's lots of people there that would like to try it, so I've seen on some other sites lol

Thanks squiggle! Happy to have ya. Things are just getting started still but grab a chair and some snacks, we will get there!

Hello everyone, I'm Dick! Yes, it's fine, you can call me that. I'm used to it :p haha
Been quite a while since I've been around these parts, I kind of got out of growing for a little bit and put more time into other hobbies. This year I had been toying with the idea of renovating and cleaning up my grow room to get back at it, while doing so and getting some babies popping above ground I thought maybe I should start up another journal. My past journals were a great experience here and I hope to make some new memories, friends and learn even more as I go. So whoever would like to come and pull up a seat for this ride, have at it and light one up. Let's get down to what we have going on around here.

My grow space
10 'x 12' vented room in the basement, mostly sealed with white poly, still some improvements to be made
2 x 600w MH/HPS lights, possibly adding a 3rd soon
2 x 6" air cooled hoods with duct fan pushing towards main room exhaust
Furnace blower on speed controller built in to work as a whole room exhaust, unknown cfm, way more than needed
Fans - 2 x 6" clip ons, 2 x 16" oscillating, 1 x 20" box fan
Shelving unit with bottom shelf being used as propagation area with 4 x 52w fluorescent sunblasters.
Water reservoir for when needed - roughly 100L - with air pump and stones

Strains currently starting
4 x Skunk #1 by G13 Labs - description from their website
Lineage: Acapulco Gold x Afgan x Columbian Gold
Indoor: 450 gr/m2;
Outdoor: 600-800 gr/plant50-60 days indoor; mid-October outdoor
Flavour: Skunk, Fine Hardwood, fruity
Aroma: Strong Skunk with Sweet Fruity backnotes
Effects: Physical, Mental, Balanced
THC: 12-16%

6 x Sundae Banana Cookies by Greenpoint Seeds - description from their website
Flowering legnth: 62-70 days
Finished height: Medium tall - Tall
Lineage: Sundae Driver (Fruity Pebbles OG x Grape Pie) X Black Banana Cookies (Banana Fire Cookies x Black Berry Kush)
Aroma: Mixed berries, Cookie Dough
Flavor: Banana bread, Tropical Fruit

Nutrients, Water & Medium
Mantis Buffered Nutrients - All-in-one 1.5-2.7-2.3
1 bottle and same dose through the whole grow, that's it. 5ml/L
I am very interested to try it out. It has a ph buffer that stays in the optimal range of 5.2-6.2 through the plants whole life and the one bottle has all the nutrients needed by any cannabis plant. This would be especially helpful in perpetual grows or autoflower strains. We will see how it goes!

Reverse Osmosis water and/or tap water
I plan to start using our town tap water in my grow room, I was always strictly RO water for the longest time because it was the easiest to work with. But I also noticed it was getting a little expensive filling the jugs. I do have a small under sink style RO system but I don't think that would be efficient for a larger grow. The mantis nutrients also advise not to use RO water due to the buffing agent but there are some options they gave me for using it if I want to. So I will try just the tap water first and see how it goes, the plants are currently getting straight tap ph'd water. May be adjusted in the future.

Soilless medium - Promix HP with mycorrhizae
Not a lot to say about this stuff, it's a high porosity peat based mix with about 30% perlite.
I used to mix in some extra with this mix but there's really no need to, its works great as is.

*I will stop this post here for now and begin with a 2nd part introducing the plants, talking about their life so far and what we've done, as well as what we plan to do in the near future. Thanks for stopping in to look everyone! Glad to be back in action!
Hey matey..
Looking pretty damn good in there.
That mantis looks very interesting, and I’d love to try some. Don’t think I can get it here though.
Peace an love

Back
Top Bottom