Difference between 99% darkness & 100%

spenceje

So just been doing some reading and stumbled upon this article about total darkness in flowering...... can't remember exactly, I was stoned... and it was yesterday. But it said something to the effect of having 30% difference in final yield....... regardless I'm gonna get rid of that 1% today, but just curious as to whether this was exaggerated or not:allgood:

Re: Difference between 99% darkness&100%...

yup you need absolute darkness for 12 unteruppted hours or more to get the proper budding cycle to do all the right things any light the plant responds to interrupting the cycle bounces the plant back toward veg cycle [ green light is appently ok low or no response to it] you can get a better explaination from nomercysupply.nl or soma or some of the better dutch seedbank sites giving a plant a longer night than 12 hours apparently speeds up the bud cycle ie if bud time is 80 days switching from 12 to 14+ hours dark partway through get the 80 day cycle done with maybe 70 days instead some strains from places near the equator might really need extra long night to kick the bud cycle into gear and so ... again check some of the dutch sites for more accurate info

Re: Difference between 99% darkness&100%...

The fact that a plant has 99% darkness or 100% darkness has no bearing on yield. Total darkness does not normally happen to a plant in nature. You have varying factors in nature such as starlight, moonlight, and lightning. I read a report some years ago that a sustained 5 minute burst of light with an intensity 6 times that of the full moon, is enough to interrupt the flowering cycle of a plant.
You will find that, if you live in an area with a very high lightning storm incidence in autumn, your harvest date can be quite delayed as a result.
As far a grow rooms are concerned, small light leaks may or may not be a problem. It just depends on how intense the light source is through the leak. If you have enough light to read in your grow room after your eyes have adjusted, then your light leak is a problem.

the total darkness thing does not make sense to me if a plant is out doors it does not get total darkness all the time , you have moonlight ,headlights from cars.I mean i do total darkness just does not make sense.

I read somewhere that starlight/moonlight does not have any spectrum as it is reflected light not direct sun light and therefore does not effect plant growth or cycle. Made sense to me, but as I said it was just something I read somewhere. Food for thought. :)

Jonny

Either way, I like not to risk it. I have the dark cycle during nighttime, have a blackout curtain over the door way so even if the door is open no light gets in, and a green light outside the tent and a string of green lights in the tent. The light outside the tent goes on before I open the door at night, and goes off after. The string lights are for viewing the girls at night in the tent. These four steps ensure no light reaches the girls at night, and the blackout curtain is useful for keeping the light from leaking out as well. Better safe than finding bananas on my buds!

I have wondered what the effect of 12 hrs green light every night cycle would have, my guess is there would be none because the plants do not absorb green light, hence the reflected green color we see.

The cannabis strain we use is bred and then inbred somemore.
I wouldn't say it is natural plant. Natural cannabis does not flower like these.
The plant is being manipulated, by people, to achieve a desired result.
In nature nothing inbreeds, if they do, they die.

So just been doing some reading and stumbled upon this article about total darkness in flowering...... can't remember exactly, I was stoned... and it was yesterday. But it said something to the effect of having 30% difference in final yield....... regardless I'm gonna get rid of that 1% today, but just curious as to whether this was exaggerated or not:allgood:

Yeah, plants need 100% darkness to trigger the flowering. I know it sounds stupid, but plants like it, so you need to listen to the plants.

I read somewhere that starlight/moonlight does not have any spectrum as it is reflected light not direct sun light and therefore does not effect plant growth or cycle. Made sense to me, but as I said it was just something I read somewhere. Food for thought. :)

Jonny

First off, starlight is not reflected light - remember the sun is just a star, too. Secondly, any light that is not monochromatic (i.e. laser light) has a spectrum of different wavelengths - reflected light as well. Any wavelength that triggers a plant's photosynthetic reaction will have an effect on the plant and possibly (given enough intensity / duration) break the flowering cycle.

Don't you guys have physics lessons over there? ;)

I used to have a completely sealed grow room with absolutely no light leak, then I moved my veg area into my flower room, so now I have slight light leak. The flower cab has its sides covered with panda film, and although the room is slightly dimly lit, you can't see the plants at all. I've had no problems with this at all, no drop in yield, and absolutely no male flowers. I've run 4 strains in this environment.

Re: Difference between 99% darkness & 100%...

ya if you can see the out line of your plants it not dark enough[/QUOTe
i can't see my hand two inches from my face..in my grow room...but what is absolute darkness..i can always see my hand outside yet the plants flower no problem.

Back
Top Bottom