Different kinds of water from the store

micro

I keep killing my plants so I'm running tests to eliminate potential problems. One of the tests will use only store bought water. But there are 3 different kinds ><

Each are "treated" by different methods:
Drinking - reverse osmosis
Distilled - steam distillation, micro filtration, ozonation
Spring - ozonation, carbon filtration, ultraviolet treatment, micro filtration

I remember reading people recommend using distilled water on seedlings to safe, but I have also read that people with bad city/well water get reverse osmosis filters installed in their homes. So, water experts, which of the 3 should I get?

micro, were you just using tap water before? Are you in a big city? You might have too much chlorine in your tap water which would definitely not do your plants any favors. Rain water is ideal, store bought RO is good, but like others said, you have to add macro and micro nutes because it is void of everything. Plus, it might be a pain in the ass to go to the store for water regularly. You can always fill a big bucket with tap water and let it sit for ~48hrs to let the Cl dissipate naturally. That might be the most cost-effective solution.

My city says they don't chlorinate the water, but it's quite a bit more basic and "hard" than is ideal. My ppm meeter reads it at about 310 and I adjust so that runoff pH is just under 7. That's why I wanted to use a water source that would completely eliminate water problems from the equation, so I could know with certainty that if that plant has problems, it is something other than water causing it.

I collect and use rain water. Get yourself a 20 gallon or 55 gallon plastic drum and drain one of your roof rain gutter downspouts into it. Filter the incoming water with some plastic screen to keep the leaves out. Keep the drum sealed so that mosquitoes can't get into it and lay eggs.

We had some drought conditions last year and I had to suppliment with distilled water, which should have a ph of 7.

I have never had any ph problems with rain water.

Good luck

Theres really no #1 water source to use. Tap water will cause over chlorinated soil and that will lead to a zinc def. So I wouldnt use tap water at all. Other water sources such as rain depending on the atmosphere of your area it will be to acidity. Water from the store will be alkaline but you can adjust the PH on your own. R.O. you will need CaMg+ and other additives to balance your feed out.

My city says they don't chlorinate the water, but it's quite a bit more basic and "hard" than is ideal. My ppm meeter reads it at about 310 and I adjust so that runoff pH is just under 7. That's why I wanted to use a water source that would completely eliminate water problems from the equation, so I could know with certainty that if that plant has problems, it is something other than water causing it.

Stick with RO, it's the best option, in my experience.

Back
Top Bottom