Different rolling paper brands

Dirtdemon

Okay so I have always used zig zag blur wraps. I dislike bongs because they make me cough. So I thought to myself I should try and change my papers to a thinner style. But I find that the wraps taste funny. Does anyone else find the thin hemp and rice papers taste wierd?

I don't pay all that much attention, personally. Right now there's a pack of Crop King Seeds branded papers (with "filter" paper tear-offs) in the cannabis-stuff box, and they're pretty inoffensive, lol (glue works, texture is good - and easy to roll, and whatever taste/smell it has (or hasn't) is more than adequately disguised by the contents of the paper, lol, whether it's 100% cannabis or 100% tobacco (always one or the other; never a mix). But there's also a pack of RAW in there for when I want to cuss quite a bit whilst rolling unless it's 100°F and my fingers are sweaty enough to make up for the apparent negative moisture content of the RAW, combined with their patented (lol) "too slick to roll into a tube" quality - but even abnormally sweaty fingers don't help with their shitty glue :rolleyes: . But IF I manage to roll one in which the paper ends up in a tube, the glue actually sticks (full moon? ambient humidity between 92.555714% and 92.55717%? The name of the month contains 73 characters, with at least two being apostrophes? I happen to be standing in a completely different universe?), and the gram of cannabis all ends up inside said paper... Well, I end up with a joint that burns slowly and without running (so pretty much like every other joint, lmfao, so each time I do so, I find myself wishing that I'd just throw the rest of the box I got years ago... away). Oh, and there are some Bugler papers in there, too, from the last time I bought a pack of Kite (menthol tobacco). I like those because they're cheap (free with tobacco purchase), durable, and skinny enough that there isn't much overlap (when rolling a standard one-gram joint), and the glue sticks.

<SHRUGS> I guess I'm not a paper-snob, lol. But my brother is - and he seems pretty partial to Elements papers. He's pretty picky about... well, everything (he should try actually living poor for a week, IMHO). So maybe they're a really good rolling paper. Then again, he's also kind of a moron, so it might just be that he's been "captured" (in the same way that a raven might be taken with little round shiny things) by the magnet that holds the Elements pack shut, IDK.

Back in the day when I rolled "party joints" (lick sticky end, attach to other end to form a fat tube, stand on end on table, proceed to fill with ground bud, tamping lightly and occasionally with something as you fill the paper until it's full), I typically used E-Z Wider papers because they held more cannabis and were available everywhere (that sold such items). I don't suppose anyone would really consider these to be "high-quality, boutique type rolling papers," yet I never received any complaints about my party joints. Perhaps it was the quality of the cannabis - or the amount. I suppose, if I'd only put .1 gram instead of 1 gram (or, for the party joints, however much a person could stuff into a paper - which was a f*cking LOT ;) ) of cannabis into the papers, lol, more people might have been able to taste the paper...

Are you putting enough cannabis into your joints? Try measuring out one gram and then putting that much into a paper. Also, does your cannabis burn up into a fine white ash? If not, it might be nutrient (et cetera) contamination that's causing your issues, I suppose.

BtW, for a better bong experience - in addition to learning to take smaller hits instead of loading the bowl full and then trying to consume it all in one inhalation - try using HOT water instead of cold. Hot water helps humidify one's hit, which tends to reduce harshness. I never could see the point of using cold (or even room temperature) water, and adding ice cubes to a bong is, frankly, the dumbest thing I ever heard of in relation to cannabis/stoners (and that's saying something :rolleyes: ) . Unless a person likes coughing. Or wishes to cool the combination of smoke, vapor, and particulate matter enough that less "actives" are actually reaching the lungs (See: Dumbest thing I ever heard of). If it's a bong of any real size, you might also try inhaling until the thing is full of smoke, quickly exhale (not into the bong!!!), then take a hit that is no longer half "air." Probably won't make things any smoother - but you might end up requiring less hits to do the job.

Bongs are not the best cannabis smoking devices, anyway. The water (even when using hot water, to a somewhat lesser degree) is much better at filtering out a percentage of the things (in cannabis) that get one high than it is at filtering out pollution/contaminants. And it's difficult for most people to stick one into their pants pocket when on the go like they could with a regular metal bowl/pipe. So I hope you can find a brand of rolling papers that work well for YOU. But, in the meantime, try using hot water in your bong. When I was a little kid and "took spells" where I was having so much trouble breathing that I might as well have (and may actually have, IDK) turned blue, lol... Mom would pick me up, run to the bathroom, turn the hot water on full blast in the bathtub, and hold me over the spigot with a towel over my head to help funnel the steam. That must have worked - because I'm still here.

I've heard of people adding a dollop of honey to the hot water, although I have no idea whether or not it made one iota of difference. Personally, I can't stand the stuff, so I save it for part of my toothache alleviation kit.

It's all relative, I guess. If you want a really harsh hit (as defined by its causing you to cough until you have snot/blood/etc. dripping from most every orifice ;) ), cut the very bottom off of a three-liter pop bottle, fill a bucket or other container up with water until it would almost reach the top of the three-liter bottle when placed into it, make a bowl to fit into the open top of the bottle, place bottle into container of water, attach bowl, light whilst slowly lifting the bottle up (stop before you pull it all the way out of the water) and, then, when the bottle is full of smoke, quickly remove your bowl device from the top, replace it with your mouth, and inhale madly whilst pushing the bottle back down into the container of water. That's a gravity bong, and I've heard it described with many adjectives - but smooth was never one of them. Oh, and for best results (take that how you like ;) ), use about 33% ground bud and 66% hash oil (or other strong extract), lmao. When you get through coughing/choking/gasping/crying and pick yourself up off the floor, you'll have a new bar on your "harshness" scale. And you might only need two or three more hits. . . .

[This has been a TorturedSoul Ramble™.]

I don't pay all that much attention, personally. Right now there's a pack of Crop King Seeds branded papers (with "filter" paper tear-offs) in the cannabis-stuff box, and they're pretty inoffensive, lol (glue works, texture is good - and easy to roll, and whatever taste/smell it has (or hasn't) is more than adequately disguised by the contents of the paper, lol, whether it's 100% cannabis or 100% tobacco (always one or the other; never a mix). But there's also a pack of RAW in there for when I want to cuss quite a bit whilst rolling unless it's 100°F and my fingers are sweaty enough to make up for the apparent negative moisture content of the RAW, combined with their patented (lol) "too slick to roll into a tube" quality - but even abnormally sweaty fingers don't help with their shitty glue :rolleyes: . But IF I manage to roll one in which the paper ends up in a tube, the glue actually sticks (full moon? ambient humidity between 92.555714% and 92.55717%? The name of the month contains 73 characters, with at least two being apostrophes? I happen to be standing in a completely different universe?), and the gram of cannabis all ends up inside said paper... Well, I end up with a joint that burns slowly and without running (so pretty much like every other joint, lmfao, so each time I do so, I find myself wishing that I'd just throw the rest of the box I got years ago... away). Oh, and there are some Bugler papers in there, too, from the last time I bought a pack of Kite (menthol tobacco). I like those because they're cheap (free with tobacco purchase), durable, and skinny enough that there isn't much overlap (when rolling a standard one-gram joint), and the glue sticks.

<SHRUGS> I guess I'm not a paper-snob, lol. But my brother is - and he seems pretty partial to Elements papers. He's pretty picky about... well, everything (he should try actually living poor for a week, IMHO). So maybe they're a really good rolling paper. Then again, he's also kind of a moron, so it might just be that he's been "captured" (in the same way that a raven might be taken with little round shiny things) by the magnet that holds the Elements pack shut, IDK.

Back in the day when I rolled "party joints" (lick sticky end, attach to other end to form a fat tube, stand on end on table, proceed to fill with ground bud, tamping lightly and occasionally with something as you fill the paper until it's full), I typically used E-Z Wider papers because they held more cannabis and were available everywhere (that sold such items). I don't suppose anyone would really consider these to be "high-quality, boutique type rolling papers," yet I never received any complaints about my party joints. Perhaps it was the quality of the cannabis - or the amount. I suppose, if I'd only put .1 gram instead of 1 gram (or, for the party joints, however much a person could stuff into a paper - which was a f*cking LOT ;) ) of cannabis into the papers, lol, more people might have been able to taste the paper...

Are you putting enough cannabis into your joints? Try measuring out one gram and then putting that much into a paper. Also, does your cannabis burn up into a fine white ash? If not, it might be nutrient (et cetera) contamination that's causing your issues, I suppose.

BtW, for a better bong experience - in addition to learning to take smaller hits instead of loading the bowl full and then trying to consume it all in one inhalation - try using HOT water instead of cold. Hot water helps humidify one's hit, which tends to reduce harshness. I never could see the point of using cold (or even room temperature) water, and adding ice cubes to a bong is, frankly, the dumbest thing I ever heard of in relation to cannabis/stoners (and that's saying something :rolleyes: ) . Unless a person likes coughing. Or wishes to cool the combination of smoke, vapor, and particulate matter enough that less "actives" are actually reaching the lungs (See: Dumbest thing I ever heard of). If it's a bong of any real size, you might also try inhaling until the thing is full of smoke, quickly exhale (not into the bong!!!), then take a hit that is no longer half "air." Probably won't make things any smoother - but you might end up requiring less hits to do the job.

Bongs are not the best cannabis smoking devices, anyway. The water (even when using hot water, to a somewhat lesser degree) is much better at filtering out a percentage of the things (in cannabis) that get one high than it is at filtering out pollution/contaminants. And it's difficult for most people to stick one into their pants pocket when on the go like they could with a regular metal bowl/pipe. So I hope you can find a brand of rolling papers that work well for YOU. But, in the meantime, try using hot water in your bong. When I was a little kid and "took spells" where I was having so much trouble breathing that I might as well have (and may actually have, IDK) turned blue, lol... Mom would pick me up, run to the bathroom, turn the hot water on full blast in the bathtub, and hold me over the spigot with a towel over my head to help funnel the steam. That must have worked - because I'm still here.

I've heard of people adding a dollop of honey to the hot water, although I have no idea whether or not it made one iota of difference. Personally, I can't stand the stuff, so I save it for part of my toothache alleviation kit.

It's all relative, I guess. If you want a really harsh hit (as defined by its causing you to cough until you have snot/blood/etc. dripping from most every orifice ;) ), cut the very bottom off of a three-liter pop bottle, fill a bucket or other container up with water until it would almost reach the top of the three-liter bottle when placed into it, make a bowl to fit into the open top of the bottle, place bottle into container of water, attach bowl, light whilst slowly lifting the bottle up (stop before you pull it all the way out of the water) and, then, when the bottle is full of smoke, quickly remove your bowl device from the top, replace it with your mouth, and inhale madly whilst pushing the bottle back down into the container of water. That's a gravity bong, and I've heard it described with many adjectives - but smooth was never one of them. Oh, and for best results (take that how you like ;) ), use about 33% ground bud and 66% hash oil (or other strong extract), lmao. When you get through coughing/choking/gasping/crying and pick yourself up off the floor, you'll have a new bar on your "harshness" scale. And you might only need two or three more hits. . . .

[This has been a TorturedSoul Ramble™.]
Wow lol, my joints are about the diameter of a smoke. I don’t even taste the paper with blues. But I sure do with other brands. I think I might try the twisty blunt thing it looks effective.

That reminds me, I should post a review of mine next time I'm... equipped to use it. Nutshell: No paper, holds twice what you think it will when you start filling it, convenient, gets kind of stinky toward the end, last little bit of cannabis tends to stick to the (now resiny) glass and metal auger. Oh, and people comment when you pull it out of your pocket, loaded and ready to go.

That reminds me, I should post a review of mine next time I'm... equipped to use it. Nutshell: No paper, holds twice what you think it will when you start filling it, convenient, gets kind of stinky toward the end, last little bit of cannabis tends to stick to the (now resiny) glass and metal auger. Oh, and people comment when you pull it out of your pocket, loaded and ready to go.
Nice, sounds like I would like it. I think I might go grab one

I got mine here:
7 Pipe Twisty Glass Blunt
with part of the $50 store credit I received as part of my Member of the Month win last year. I actually waffled on the decision; couldn't decide if I wanted it or not. Turned out I did, lol.

Well, yeah, I treat it like a bowl. Whatever portion the atmosphere smokes is wasted, lol. Light/hit, cover with palm (etc.). Repeat as desired. Replace cap, stick back into pocket. I'd be rather annoyed if it continued to burn when I wasn't actively hitting it (YMMV, of course). I assume that several people would be able to keep one lit, passing it constantly, but I don't know. A couple of us occasionally kept it burning between handoffs, but (thankfully) not during the hold / exhale / pure air pauses.Outside of about $15 worth last year and $5 this year, the only cannabis I've smoked has been gifted to me from a kind soul. And a couple bowls from some plants that I grew and gave away (the harvest). So it's not like I've been getting crowds of people high, packing the thing multiple times per day. Think I've actually only used it four or five times so far. With great restraint (lol), it lasted me an entire day (24 hours). When I decided to just smoke it like I wanted to (was unsuccessfully trying to quit cigarettes), it still lasted me between two and three hours. BUNCH of hits. Oh, and relatively easy to clean; basically pull the auger, wipe with paper towel soaked in 91% isopropyl alcohol, wipe out inside of glass tube, done. There's also a little cleaning brush included that's just large enough to "scrub" out the... eight(?) tiny holes in the mouthpiece. You'll probably want to give it a wipe-down after each (full) use so that the o-ring does not become covered with resin and glue the metal auger to the glass tube. It only takes a minute or two.

If I had lots of money... I wouldn't pay $50 for one (however, I have decided that I really prefer short little metal pipes with great big bowls (with lids), so I'm probably biased). But $20? Sure, why not. Has various positives including a one-time load for short (day) travel, walking in the woods, day of fishing, et cetera. I must like it, lol, when my brother started pestering me for the loan of a glass piece, I thought about my Twisty Glass Blunt, recalled the struggle to reclaim "loaned" items back from him, and replied, "Here, have a tiny little bong," instead. I don't dislike the bong, but I'd never get the TGB back - and I am kind of fond of the little bubbler I got (all three glass items were from the one $50 gift certificate!).

Hey, I forgot to mention: If rolling papers in general are unpalatable, you can try rolling your joints backwards. It ends up using only as much paper as is actually needed (no overlap other than the glue strip). Flip the paper over so that the sticky is underneath and at the bottom. Add cannabis and roll as per normal, but then lick the sticky and complete the operation. You'll have a tube (joint) with a full-width "tail." With a bit of practice, you can get the hang of removing that part (moisture helps). It also tends to impress the "kids," I suppose.

I always used Randy's papers with the wire in them. Never noticed the taste. I also love the wire, it makes an awesome "handle" for when the joint gets roach sized.

They still make "wire" wrappers, lol? I haven't seen one of those since... wow, 1988 or '89. You just made me feel old (or is that caused by me getting old ;) ? I had always assumed that they were just a novelty, since I never saw them afterwards.

Back
Top Bottom