Dinafem Purple Orange & Critical Cure CBD Grow

Bluenoser

Well, here I am again, with a new grow, and hopefully I have learned from alot from mistakes made on my previous grow.
The good thing is that you can never know "everything", so every grow is a learning process, cut yourself some slack if you've made mistakes and regretted it :)

I'm trying to grow just a couple strains this time, rather than many (my first mistake) different strains with different height and flower time requirements, so if all goes well, I'll have a more uniformed less stressful grow for both the plants and myself.

I'm running a 4 pot RWDC home build system and 4 soil pots in an 8x4 foot tent with a 600W MH light (switch to HPS for flowering) and a 900W Viparspectra LED light. I'm using General Hydroponic nutrients for both the soil and hydroponics, even though I detest Monsanto, who now owns General Hydroponics.

Since this is a "winter grow" here in Nova Scotia, the challenges will be keeping the plants warm and cozy, as opposed to having to deal with the high temps I had problems with during the summer, which exceeded 114 degrees F and caused half of my plants to go hermaphrodite due to heat stress, thus pollinating many of my plants, grr....lol.

So here is the beginning of a new grow, this time around is Dinafem Purple Orange CBD, and Critical cure CBD by Barney's farms.

Wish me luck!

I've got some clones gone wild from my last grow in the grow tent, still trying to figure out what to do with them, I like them, but am really excited about the new genetics.

BTW, make sure you put a screen over your air vents to the outside world, otherwise, you may end up entertaining this wonderful Northern Short Tailed Shrew like I did, he was a happy little guy until I dumped him back outside into the snow where he belonged, lol. You just never know what will crawl into your exhaust vents this time of year when mother nature tells the critters to seek warmth, :)

So far so good :)
The little seedlings seem to be doing well, even though it's only like 42% humidity here right now.
I've noticed that whenever I sprout seeds, the first leaves seem to have darker green parts in the middle and slightly yellower on the outer edges of the leaves.

Is this because of temps being a bit too low, or, is it a magnesium deficiency (or both)?

I'm not too concerned about it, the issue seems to always work itself out, but I'm just wondering if a bit more cal-mag during the seedling stage might be appropriate. I don't recall my seedlings doing that years ago, so maybe I'm missing something now lol.

I've never grown the Dinafem Purple Orange CBD before, so I don't know what to expect from them. The Barney's Farm Critical Cure CBD seeds have sprouted, but are just little seedlings, hope they catch up soon :)

All those other larger plants will be coming outta this tent once things get going, they are just there for lack of knowing what to do with them, I think I'll grow them big and juice the leaves, and then flower them out in the other tent.

Like your big Skunk Candy clone Chris ?
The one in the back right is the Skunk Candy, and the 2 in the foreground are Critical Mass.

Good thing I was able to get more seeds from a reputable supplier as True North Seeds ripped me off, and refused to compensate me for their dead seeds.

If you had to diagnose an issue with these seedlings by looking at how the leaves appear mottled and a bit wrinkled on the ends, what would you say is wrong?

Nutes deficiency? Too much nutes?

The PPM is only around 247, and I'm using the GH trio, the air temp is at around 75 - 77 degrees, and the humidity is pretty low around 43%. The night time temp drops to around 66 to 68 degrees when the lights are off.

I've got a 600W MH light on one end of my tent that is dimmed to the 2nd lowest setting, and a 900W Viparspectra LED light that is raised as far up as it can go in my tent.

Take a look at these pics and tell me what you think.

The little seedlings are coming along now, but there have been alot of setbacks that ended up causing me to once again have an uneven growth between the plants.

Those thrips ruined one of my plants, and the insecticidal spray killed one plant, and severely stunted the growth of another, it is still recovering.

The first application of the spray was OK, but the 2nd application was bad news.

One of the purple orange CBD plants is growing far faster than the others, weird phenotype I guess, and I ended up planting a white widow 3 weeks later than all the rest, because I had an empty space in my hydro, so now, that little seedling is holding up production, I should be flipping to flowering by now, but only one plants is actually ready for that, doh.

I'm still waiting for that little white widow to drop it's tap root so I can switch everything over from top feed to bottom feed.

Looks like I'm gonna have one ginormous long vegged plant and the rest will be playing catch-up again.

I'm stunned by how thick and squat these purple orange CBD plants are, the stocks are super thick already, and I can't imagine how thick they will be at harvest. The main fan leaf stems are as thick as stocks.

I just now tied them all down and trained them, and they are looking pretty ugly, they will bounce back by tomorrow, they always do :)

Everything is looking great.
Looks like you've got a great grow space,what is it's height?
I don't worry so much about height I can always tie down or stack up.
I might be seeing that as a problem for myself soon lol height that is new strains first runs can be crazy I would not have it any other way.
Those seedling I've not seen that before could it just be a gentic trait did they grow out of it?
Welcome aboard

The tent is 4x8 foot and 78" tall, it's a "TopGrow" brand 600D tent, don't ever buy one, they are super cheap and I'm now finding that it is full of tiny pinholes all over, probably another factor above the extreme summer heat why I had so many hermies last grow. I'll never but 600D again that's for sure. Good thing Amazon gave me $100 off when I complained about a small tear when it arrived :)

I spent a half hour last night patching up the tiny holes with light proof tape, but the zippers still leak light badly, so I'm gonna have to tape some fabric flaps all along the zippers before flower time comes.

I was running outta vertical space fast with the last grow because I vegged 5 weeks to let a few other plants catch up to the bigger ones, but luckily after the stretch I had exactly the right amount of head space left, the lights were basically mounted directly to the ceiling of the tent, lol

I think I'm heading towards the same issue, so I'm training the large plant out horizontally as much as possible before I put the scrog screen in, that one plant is gonna fill up half the tent I think now, but that's ok, her destiny is to give me clones for the next grow, I'm gonna keep the best pheno for the next generation.

This is my little 4x8 tent with a Skunk Candy mother in it (a clone from the summer grow, she's in a 7gal pot) and a clone of Blue Dream and Critical Mass :)

You sound like me with long vegging plants, cuttings. Mine are at least 60 days sometimes more my kineapple from big is 69 veggies days will be around 72-75 days by time it goes in flower.
She's a 70-30 sativa , Indica she might become a monster I will see.
Everything looks great even the expensive tents have pin holes.
I went with one around 130 dollars a few pin holes zippers are pretty heavy.
Mine will show thru zipper if I don't have the flap inside over.
It took awhile but I think it would be okay if left out in light.
I've not got any hermies but I have a 10x10room that I've sealed up for now.
My tents are in it for now have plans for that later.
Yeah I could see getting hermies from light leaks. So get that squared away.
I got inside my tent friend zipped me up came back around 15 minutes gave my eyes time to adjust.
I do that once a year I wear tents out.
Will check back have a great day

Does anyone out there have an opinion on this?

I’m by no means a pro but I have read molting and uneven ripples in the fan leaves are caused by humidity issues.

It might be worth checking the validity of that info, as I can’t find the link.

As far as humidity is concerned I have corrected that issue by using a home humidifier attached to an ink bird humidity controller. I fill the res once a day and my switch turns on or off depending of what RH I set it to. Those switches are available on Amazon about 50 bucks or less.

Moss.

Ps great looking grow, love your set up. I’m stoked to see the outcome!

Thanks for the replies guys :)
Right now I'm struggling with the air exhaust situation.

I thought I could vent back into the room outside the grow tent, which was fine up until now, but suddenly, because it is so cold outside (minus 20C with the windchill!) I have serious condensation issues. The inside of a window nearby is constantly soaked and is gonna go mouldy, and even the light switch plate which I now know is poorly insulated is wet with condensation.

It's weird because I have 2 hygrometers which both say the humidity in the room is usually between 40-50%, not excessively high or anything.

I've now vented the 8" pipe out through a window, but the problem is that when the lights go out, it's gonna get cold in the room.

I'm now gonna have to put a space heater in there for overnight, which always makes me nervous to leave running while I sleep.

Even the first foot or so of the exhaust ducting that is attached to the window flange is dripping with condensation, and I'm worried that at night cold air will back up into my grow tent through the duct because the fan controller shuts off the fan at night as it does not need to remove any heat from the lights then.

It's kinda like I have to vent outside in the daytime, and detach the ducting and vent inside overnight when the lights go out, not sure how else to address this.

Kinda one of those damned if ya do damned if ya don't things, doh.

The moisture issue I don’t have much of a solution for; however the heater at night I can offer a solution that I’m using. Even right now I’m away for business and my house is empty, I’m using these switches to automate my heater and rh.

Snap shot of what they do, and I will use my set up as an example. I grow in Canada as well, albeit Vancouver so I’m not fighting quite the battle you are...

The temp controller is set to 24• as my target. When the temp in the tent falls below 23• it turns on my heater. Once the temp grows to 24 again my heater automatically turns off. This unit also works the other way, if my tent gets too hot for some reason it will turn on an additional cpu fan to help vent, until the temp drops to 24 again.

As for RH same thing. Small home humifier for when I fall below 50, and cpu fan for when I go about 60....

It’s a failsafe that lets me sleep at night and keeps my tent within ideal ranges.

Attachments

• A4EF4498-9443-4E7C-AF4B-677A771DC1BA.png
    A4EF4498-9443-4E7C-AF4B-677A771DC1BA.png
    363.4 KB · Views: 117
I've seen those controllers on amazon, and considered buying one, but then I wondered why it would be better than just relying on the built in thermostat in my oil filled heater (which I just plugged in actually for the night).

I guess accuracy is what you are paying for with an external controller?

I bought one of these to control the fan, but it's not super accurate, and acts kinda flaky. I should have bought a digital one rather than analog, but I'm on a pretty tight budget.

Grozone Garden Controls Cooling Thermostat (12/Cs) : Amazon.ca: Tools & Home Improvement

The main thing is that the CDS cell turns the fan of at night once the lights turn off.

I spent half my life on Vancouver island, so I know the climate your dealing with, much easier on the plants :)

I've seen those controllers on amazon, and considered buying one, but then I wondered why it would be better than just relying on the built in thermostat in my oil filled heater (which I just plugged in actually for the night).

I guess accuracy is what you are paying for with an external controller?

I bought one of these to control the fan, but it's not super accurate, and acts kinda flaky. I should have bought a digital one rather than analog, but I'm on a pretty tight budget.

Grozone Garden Controls Cooling Thermostat (12/Cs) : Amazon.ca: Tools & Home Improvement

The main thing is that the CDS cell turns the fan of at night once the lights turn off.

I spent half my life on Vancouver island, so I know the climate your dealing with, much easier on the plants :)

Tight budget, amen to that.

Also always great to know another Canadian , especially for genetic exchange.

I'm hoping this Dinafem Purple Orange CBD and the Barney's Farm Critical Cure CBD live up to their promises.

I need a good CBD strain now that I have some decent THC strains.

That Critical Mass I'm growing is from clones from my last grow, and it has a crazy super sweet aroma that reminds me of pomegranate and strawberries.

I'm hoping this Dinafem Purple Orange CBD and the Barney's Farm Critical Cure CBD live up to their promises.

I need a good CBD strain now that I have some decent THC strains.

That Critical Mass I'm growing is from clones from my last grow, and it has a crazy super sweet aroma that reminds me of pomegranate and strawberries.
I’m growing 4 Charlottes webs clones

Back
Top Bottom