Disabled Veteran Seeking Help To Grow Medicine

1stCavApache

Well like the title says I am a disabled vet learning to grow my own medicine. I am on my second grow and hoping to learn as much as I can to take care of this wonderful plant. I am definitely learning by trial and error and with the help of you all here I hope to cut out more of the error part. Thanks to all of you that make this forum possible and for sharing the knowledge you have earned from years of growing.

First of all, welcome to 420Magazine and a big thank you for your service!
If you start a grow journal the good members here can follow along with you and offer up advice if you need it.
:welcome::420::thanks::blunt:

Thanks for the welcome, I hope to post up some pics of the two grows I have going on now. One is just going into flower and was sort of a trial run of some bag seeds I got from a buddy and I also have some young plants in a smaller tent(2x4x6). The flower tent is (4x4x7) and after doing some research here I think the problem I have been having is a Magnesium deficiency which seems to be occurring from the distilled water I have been using. I am looking into a RO water setup since the well water up here in the mountains is really hard and I have a water softener that I think could be unhealthy for the plants. The seedlings in the veg tent are 4 weeks old and look pretty good to my untrained eye. There are 4 Borderline XTRM, a Girl Scout Cookies and a Liberty Haze. I am trying to do a couple of strains so I can see which ones work best for my nerve pain and the really bad insomnia it causes. The knowledge you guys share is a huge help. I used to do a lot of fruit and vegetable gardening until my injury and surgery. It seems like some of the basics are similar but there is a lot of growing indoors that is all new to me. I have seen a huge change in the general attitude of people regarding this fantastic plant and hope to see it finally legalized at a national level so everyone that wants to can get the benefits it provides. Sorry for the long post, I am just really excited to begin this journey of growing and to absorb as much as I can from other people that are passionate about it.

Roger that.... you've come to a good place. I've been at it for 2 years and am still learning thanks to the good folks on this forum.

I put a faucet in the water line between my well and the water conditioners as we quickly found the plants didn't like it after being treated. Also, it helps to draw the water a day in advance and leave it uncovered so the chlorine will disparate, and I'm sure you already know to check the pH of anything going in the containers.

I never really thought about the water softener before I started doing research for this grow but it explains the issues I used to have with some of my veggies. Things are so much different now, I remember when I was younger there were two types of pot, Mexican brown crap and good red haired sense. When I started looking at getting some seeds my head spun from the hundreds of strains that were available. It will be a lot of fun experimenting with growing a bunch of different strains and seeing how they differ from one another. I am getting my CalMag in tomorrow and hope it fixes the issues I am having in the flower tent. I let it go too long without finding an answer but they still seem pretty healthy. There are some orange/rust looking edges on a lot of leaves from one plant but it has been growing well and looks healthy. I just want to be sure I get them as healthy as possible before I flip to 12/12 which I hope to do tomorrow. Thanks for your service brother, I was an Army wrench spinner but several of my best friends joined the Marines and I have a lot of respect for what you guys do. I wish the damn VA could prescribe this but all they want to do is load me up on narcotic pain meds and I can't stand to take that crap. My dad who is 85 is the one that talked to me about pursuing MMJ and that is funny as hell as he is a product of the 50's and always used to tell me how bad smoking pot was. If he had caught me smoking when I was younger he would have whipped my ass and now he looks after my garden when I am away and loves to see the plants grow. Hope to share an edible with him when my grow is done as he has some health issues from when he was in the Army serving in the Korean War. He is up for it especially since we are growing it together. Hopefully my kids will benefit from all the hard work groups like NORML have been doing. I would really love to see Federal legalization so people can stop having their lives torn apart for doing something so natural as growing a garden and responsibly using their own plants for medicine or recreation. Hopefully I will get a grow journal going today so some of you guys can offer advice on getting my adult plants through their flowering phase as best as possible.

Welcome to 420 crowd brother.
I'm sure we've trampled the same mud. Stood in the same "Hurry up and Wait" lines. And now suffer the same VA fate in life.
Also growing my own meds now.
Get your journal up so we can pop in for a visit. Help out when in need.
Came to a great place.

Meet you on the high ground!

Best of luck friend! The lead really helps me with insomnia and pain reduction. How did your first grow go? I am on my second grow and very excited. Best wishes, and thank you for your service.

The first grow is still a work in progress. I planted 3 #1 Skunk seeds a buddy gave me out of his bag seeds and they are going into flower tomorrow. They are really sort of a trial run to try and work through as many issues as possible before I planted some seeds that cost some serious money. The second is 1 month into veg and has 4 Borderline XTRM, a Liberty Haze and a Girl Scout Cookies. All are feminized and hopefully I have most of the big issues worked out and will do well with the help of the info and people here that kind enough to help out a rookie. Good luck with your second grow as well. Hopefully I will have a journal setup in the next few days as I work through learning about the do's and don'ts of the forum.

Thanks, I just have a tendency to ramble a bit when I haven't had sleep for a day or more. Cool user name, if I had a buck for every time I heard adapt, improvise and overcome I would have more cash than Trump.

All you military guys...lol. As I tap the brim of my round brown and telling a boot...."your shits in the wind troop, now drop"....LOL. Those were the days...lol. Old Army here. No one but us will ever understand the bond we share between military members. Leaving family and friends behind to go around the world to do that voodoo that we do so well...anyone, anyone...lol. With only the man or woman in that foxhole next to you to depend on. And knowing that they are depending on you as well to protect and bring them home safe and sound. No one but us will ever know the feeling of failing that one and only most important mission, everyone goes home. "Leave no one behind".

Sorry, I babble to...lol.

Welcome my brother. You are in good hands.

Obtw...most of the time I was in the rear with the gear. Who am I?...lol.

It was really doing poorly and I couldn't figure out what it was. I tried flushing and changing up how much nutes I was giving but in the end it was all being caused by the pot being to small and the roots getting root bound. I transplanted them into a 4 gallon bucket and used some Happy Frog soil and it looks 100% better. All the new growth is a healthy green and no more yellowing necrotic leaves. The flower tent is full but hopefully in 2-3 weeks the two older plants will be done and ready to harvest and then I will move the GSC and a Liberty Haze into flower. The skunk plants that are in flower right now are my first plants ever and the buds are driving me nuts with impatience. They look better and better each day and smellier. I'll try to get some pics of the GSC and post them up. I wish I had caught the rot issue earlier but it's a learning curve and I'll know better next time. Good luck with your grow.

Cheers for update, lol yeh impatience is really bad with ones first home grow,even now i look at some of mine and think darn those are ready,only to find they are not once trichs have been looked at under magnification,everyone has their own preference as to chop time,i like to see more amber colors, also usually it is the last week that bud weight increases and causes any unsupported heavy laden branches to bend and droop,i like that sign. good you found out gsc problem stead you right for future gardening. i give pic update v shortly thanks for asking. regards

Hey just wanted to say thank you for your service! Wishing you and your plants all the best.

Dabber

Hey just wanted to say thank you for your service! Wishing you and your plants all the best.

Dabber

No thanks necessary but thank you all the same. I come from a lineage of Army guys that goes back to Civil War. Every generation has done some form of Army, be it drafted in combat or West Pointer's, we all feel it's something we need to do. Wish I was flying now but growing is a real close second and a hell of a lot safer:)

No thanks necessary but thank you all the same. I come from a lineage of Army guys that goes back to Civil War. Every generation has done some form of Army, be it drafted in combat or West Pointer's, we all feel it's something we need to do. Wish I was flying now but growing is a real close second and a hell of a lot safer:)
My wife's active duty air force. But I just have to give credit where credit is due :) damn I'd love to fly a plane

Back
Top Bottom