Discussion of contest rules

heres a bad idea that nobody will like, but it will end all the BS.

just let the staff vote only, and make our votes show public.

nom who you want, enter if you want. i would rather have a few member pissed at me cause they dont like my vote than a bunch of members mad at a bunch of members.

ok, pit, let me have it ... :grinjoint:

Im up for some kinda change..Im not even going to address this months vote until its straightened out. I forsee at least 10 members who shall be un-named that will be in there again...same results as last month..landslide. makes people to want to re-evaluate why they are here. And trust me Ive spoken to 40 people here personally. It happens because of the large influx of a specific group. Do I think they should be here, YES. but it totally skews the process...and its happening again...when will it stop? time will tell:bongrip:

we are working on manifesting the solution guys, it is our HIGHest priority, thank you for your patience, understanding and support... we've always made it through any obstacle we've encountered and will continue doing so... thanks...;)

Im up for some kinda change..Im not even going to address this months vote until its straightened out. I forsee at least 10 members who shall be un-named that will be in there again...same results as last month..landslide. makes people to want to re-evaluate why they are here. And trust me Ive spoken to 40 people here personally. It happens because of the large influx of a specific group. Do I think they should be here, YES. but it totally skews the process...and its happening again...when will it stop? time will tell:bongrip:

if Roseman got 70 ppl to vote for him alone and the average is like 30-50 total in the election isn't that EXACTLY what you guys have been trying to accomplish anyways!?

how is the process skewed? you suggesting that Roseman made 40 accounts and voted for himself? otherwise I don't see any skewing of the process, there is no unfairness or anything! I'm sure you can look @ the IP of the voters and see they are from unique computers or you would have already caught that.

if Roseman got 70 ppl to vote for him alone and the average is like 30-50 total in the election isn't that EXACTLY what you guys have been trying to accomplish anyways!?

how is the process skewed? you suggesting that Roseman made 40 accounts and voted for himself? otherwise I don't see any skewing of the process, there is no unfairness or anything! I'm sure you can look @ the IP of the voters and see they are from unique computers or you would have already caught that.

I don't think it's as much of a skewed process rather a fairness question (who gets to vote and when), coupled with voting blocs and members voting collectively (based on who they know) seems to have thrown everything into a tizzy.

It seems it's been pretty well determined that a possible combination of things need to take place to level the playing field.

-Increasing the number of people that vote, thereby marginalizing any voting blocs.
-Introducing voting privileges based on rep points and length of membership or some other determining qualifications.

I think that was the whole purpose of this thread for discussing the current contest rules and see if they can be tweaked, if even needed.

SF

I wish that 420 would would stop using the word "contest" for Plant & Nug of the Month and replace it with the word "Award". This is not a popularity contest it is recognition of an outstanding effort by one of the many fine growers here at 420magazine.

In addition I think there should be a Judging Panel established to ensure the winner is not the product of a popularity contest. The Judging Panel would be the final say on whether or not the popular vote winner truly is the best in it's class.

The staff vote isn't a bad idea. But honestly, I wanna give them the benefit of the doubt that after seeing the whole tebacle last month, they wouldnt only vote for a person on the ballot that is within the "crew". I think that even if they arent talking much or commenting here, they are reading. Last months contest is past, I think this month will show if we have seen growth in ppl here. I think that should it occur two months in a row then maybe you guys could look into the staff vote. Thats still my favorite of the ideas thrown out. But the contests are just for fun, and I think that some of the ideas being thrown out are just taking the fun out.

But yea I think ppl are trying to keep a cool head and restore the community feeling around here. So perhaps we wait a month or two before making serious changes. This really could resolve on its own or blow over. Idk just my opinion.

Thank you 420 for being here, it's a great community and I'm very proud to be a part of it.
I had no idea that this discussion was here until this morning and I must say I'm disgusted, flabbergasted and amazed at what people will do for what; rep points, a title and maybe some free stuff. Is any of this going to make me a better person? Put food on the table? A roof over my head? A comfortable and safe place to sleep? Make me a better grower? Help me help others become better growers? Make my smoke any better? If you answer yes to any of these questions then either you or I am in the wrong community because the only correct answer is no and if someone wants it that bad then let them have it. I graduated high school 30 years ago and I've moved on to bigger and better things. My gratification comes from the good friends I've made here and the feeling I get knowing I've helped someone through a situation they had no matter how big or small and seeing them succeed in the end not the accolades. The only choice for me last month was TigerBalm because she was the only one that has been a part of my journal and she has been an invaluable asset to me and I'm proud to call her a friend.
I have entered the NOM and POM contest and I think the sig. link should be allowed, it's not an advantage that no one else can have and plus it helps get the word out about the contests. Maybe you could come up with a generic link that is automatically added to the sig when a member enters the contest. When you look at the number of members compared to the number of voters the percentages I'm sure are way off. More voters would solve most problems. I don't enter the contests to win, I use the contest as a platform to try and get more people to my journal. I've already won way before the voting begins, I get to smoke some beautiful bud I grew that gets me so high I get sick to my stomach and the comments the members post on my pictures and rating me a 10. Now that's winning.
My suggestion for MOM would be to let the moderators who read virtually every post and see every pic. choose who they think is most deserving and why and then let the executive committee pick the winner. You are never going to be able to please everyone all the time.

Ok I'm a FNG but I really don't understand the animosity here. We are all here for the same thing. To grow good bud, help, and talk to others that have the same mind set. There is a huge amount of knowledge here and it should be spread without ego's getting in the way. I'm an old hippy and this movement started with peace. :peace: Why should it be otherwise? I have been on a lot of journals and threads on this site. Only one place have I seen someone come on and say X needs help with this and I can't help him can some of you help? He is now getting chastised for his popularity. Well I may be wrong but if someone goes out of his or her way to help me or others I think that is an admirable trait and should be rewarded. There are many on here that help others. In fact most of those that posted on this thread are those kind of people. I have read their posts and they do help others. So why don't we nurture that feeling rather than complain about it.

Ok enough of my rant. I know that in the real world people are competitive and strive for excellence. This is as it should be. In light of that DreaminOfBuds seems to make the most sense.

This is just my opinion I could be wrong. :peace:

Ok enough of my rant. I know that in the real world people are competitive and strive for excellence. This is as it should be. In light of that DreaminOfBuds seems to make the most sense.

This is just my opinion I could be wrong. :peace:

Hey Moustache!

I'm glad you share the opinion that none of this is worth animosity...

... but you are are a bit late to the party... :cheesygrinsmiley:

I think we just had a GREAT member of the month contest, and while I can't speak for the other contests since I didn't enter them, it seems to me we are all getting along pretty well again.

There was just a bit of indigestion last month with a HUGE influx of new members... but to go from 17 to 87 voters in a year is pretty good progress for the site in my book. And that is why we are all here - to continue an ethos which we can all be proud to represent.

I don't know if it's possible without programming changes... but it'd be interesting to see which member gained the most reputation over a month or something... just another way to recognize those who contribute. ;)

Hi OB,

I'm usually a little late to the party, but I had a few things to say. I'm glad you read them. I really like this forum and I find it informative as well as entertaining. I'm in for the long haul.

I was a purebred Hampshire and Landrace hog Breeder in a past life and was fairly decent at breeding gilts.
If you had a purebred show with four hogs in it a first place ribbon would be warranted.
If you had a show with 400 head of hogs. Multiple class champions, division champions, and overall champions would be warranted.
Politics is huge in the business. It sucks when you have the best pig in the show, but get gated (don't place) due to politics or the judge having relations with the MILF of the "special" kid who got champion---true story. It feels equally as cool when you win a show, because the political tide balances toward the end of your scale.
I've gotten first an many shows of four and have gotten reserve champion for a show of 400 when I got second in my class. Everybody shouldn't get a ribbon and get to jerk off with Barney the Dinosaur, but the medals should be based upon the individual actions and more medals maybe in order for larger campaigns.

As far as politics, never let it upset you, but use it as a tactical advantage as long as your motives are true and moral. Or at least try to do this stuff.

God Bless:thumb:

Back
Top Bottom