Dispensary Etiquette Questions

Thepurplem0nkey

I thought I'd start a thread on dispensary etiquette questions if some of the dispensary operators would be kind enough to answer with their opinions and policies. For example, I once called a dispensary to find out if they had a tincture for my grandfather. I didn't want to drive all the way down there if they didn't have in stock what I needed. At first the guy who answered the phone acted like he couldn't hear me: "What? T-Shirt? T-Bird? What?". Then he said in a real obvious tone, "Uh...I don't know what a tincture is." and promptly hung up on me, like I was a cop or some undesireable calling. So what is the proper etiquette? Right now I'm looking for a tincture for another cancer patient who can't digest food, and I don't want to drive to 5 different dispensaries to try and find one when I can just call. So what say you dispensary operators? What is the proper etiquette in contacting dispensaries and asking for stock/prices/availability? Thanks in advance :)
-PM

Mr PM.. I've always wondered that too. It's illegal to speak about cannabis over the phone? If they're that worried about the legal ramifications from a phone call.. why the fuck did they ever open a MCD? Are they not illegal?

I can call my local pharmacy and get a current price on any pharmaceutical.

Signed,

Confused.

At the Vancouver, BC MCD you call and they have taped message with a description of most of their current inventory with prices.. it sure makes it alot more convenient.

Next time I'm at 2745 San Pablo, I'm going to ask.

I think you'll find this at a lot of co-ops. I think they try to be on the safer then sorry side. My advise is this call be very perky if possible and say "hello I was thinking about visiting your co-op today I had a question though. My grandfather is a patient and I am trying to get him a tincture as he has cancer and is unable to digest food". I find a little guilt trip usually works. If they tell you that they can not give out this information over the phone say" I understand completely but please try to understand my grandfather or whoever is very sick and if you could just give me a yes no answer that would be great." Something like that almost always works for me just always be nice and perky like a sells man. If the co-op seems nice but says sorry the dont have any then maybe ask them if they know a co-op that does

Spliff, thanks for the advice. I understand that a dispensary needs to be careful in that they are not tricked by police into giving information that should only be given to qualified patients over the phone. But at the same time, medical marijuana is given to people with disabilitees, SEVERE disabilities, and the ability to drive to numerous places to find a specific product is not alwauys possible. There needs to be a happy medium there.
-PM

I just got back from the Local Patients Coop in Hayward. I asked about calling with questions. They told me the only thing they give out is the address.

This is my fourth visit to this club lately, and again, there was very little selection. I am told this does happen, but it's gotten pretty bad. The shelves used to be full of buds. Now we are down to one kind, and very little of that.

Today, there was one kind of bud there, and a couple dozen for each line (always lots of hash). By the time I got to the counter, they had pulled out another. So I left with XXX and Purple Rain. Again, I was lucky and felt like I won a prize or something. Don't get me wrong, I am happy with what I have. I've never been anywhere where they have completely sold out. But I have noticed a trend in each club I have visited in the last couple months.

I asked about the selection again. I was told "Hey, it's summer!" That's a good reason, but I do wonder if any of these busts here have made people a little more cautious. If that is the case, that stinks!

Okay, back to the clinic. This place seems to have lost a little of the "compassion" you'd like to see when you visit. They seem so rushed they barely crack a smile, let alone want to answer your questions. Hopefully, that will change, because this used to be a nice place to hang out when you visit.

It took about 30 minutes to make it to the counter. That's not bad considering it took twice that long last time.

I think I will head to Santa Cruz next time. Has anyone visited Greenway lately?

Peace and happiness:peace:

Thepurplem0nkey said:
Spliff, thanks for the advice. I understand that a dispensary needs to be careful in that they are not tricked by police into giving information that should only be given to qualified patients over the phone. But at the same time, medical marijuana is given to people with disabilitees, SEVERE disabilities, and the ability to drive to numerous places to find a specific product is not alwauys possible. There needs to be a happy medium there.
-PM

As to your "tinciture" im not sure what you are refering to. But as to answering calls, I would advise not give out any information beyond address and directions on a business line, if you need to discuss information regarding cuttings or vendors, hang up and call back the patient or vendor using a disposable phone. However, this was only for frequent patients and vendors.

stay upp

(RoC)siyah

As to your "tinciture" im not sure what you are refering to.
A tincture is marijuana that has been soaking in 90 proof or higher alcohol for about a month or so. Once the alcohol is strained through a cheese cloth or cofee filter, the liquid retains all of the dissolved trichomes and can be consumed, either by dropper under the tounge, or by infusing into some tea or other beverage. Adding some honey to the mix makes the substance a bit more palatable, but that's depending on the taste. Glycerin can also be used in substitute of alcohol for patients that are not tolerant of alcohol. I actualy had heard about this from a girl I had a college class with who was a tribal member from some untouched tribe in Oxacaona, I think that was the name, in Mexico. She told me her folks still to this day soak marijuana in alcohol and use the liquid to rub on their gums to numb tooth aches, a tradition that has been passed on through their people for hundreds of years.
Tinctures are excellent ways of administering medication to the severly ill who may not be able to swallow pills, smoke, or ingest food, and its a real shame more ispensaries do not carry it (I make it myself). I made several tinctures when my grandfather had cancer. I dropped it directly into his mouth...just 3-4 drops for his age and weight, and he was feeling the healing effects almost instantly. Whats even better about this remedy is it works BETTER if the medicine you place in the alchol is DRY, like old shake. SO a dispensary could gather all of their old dry shake and be making some quality medicine out of it.
Onelazysurfa, again, I completely understand a dispensaries discretion in only giving out addresses over the phone....but in the case of someone who is severely ill, which prop 215 is there for, to arrive at a place that is either out of stock of most of the more affordable herbs, or doesnt have what you need, not being able to find out beforehand what is available at what price can be an extreme hinderance to those not capable of driving around the valley looking for the medicine they desperately need. I do enjoy going to weedtracker, as many clubs post their menus (without prices) there. It would be nice to see that trend continue and to see daily updates on menus so I know which place is carrying what I need, so I dont waste energy, gas, or time driving down to a club that does not carry the medicine I am looking for. I hope to see daily menu postings from dispensaires on this web page. But this thread has definately serve it's purpose, at least for my question :) It's clear that calling and asking for prices/prodcuts, unless well known by the owner, is taboo, as of right now. Please lets keep this thread alive with relevant questions of ettiquite. I have another one, again, specificaly for club owners/operators: Is it considered to be in bad taste to talk about OTHER dispensaries in youre establishment? Almost every dispensary I have visited patients are taking about other clubs; where they are located, what they carry, how great/bad they are. I haev never seen anyone say "don't talk about that in here", but is it considered in bad taste? Or is it just consumerism and you don't mind at the least?
-PM

Back
Top Bottom