Dividing the harvest, please help

skunkman420

OK, first Hi everyone. I have an issue with dividing up the final harvest. Me and a guy friend are kind of growing together, but heres the situation. He's got maybe 300 bucks invested. He ordered the seeds, and helped buy a small light and a few bags of soil. Well weve been doing this for about a year and weve been splitting it about 50/50, But Im thinking it has to change, The grow is at my house, and he may help out maybe once a week if Im lucky, but even then its more just watching me do the work. Now Im thinking since Im the only one really doing the work, and taking all the risk of a fed raid, plus Ive got to pay the utilities which have gone up using 3 600w magnetic ballasts, Ive paid for pretty much everything since his initial investment of seeds, and a few small things.
So my question is really, whats a good ratio for his cut, Because Im tempted to totally quit growing. It just seems like Im getting screwed here, but dont know how to fix it. I dont mind splitting it up, but it has to be fair, Im losing money by giving him half. Basically its like giving away half your yield for nothing. Im thinking maybe 75-25 if he actually starts helping more, or atleast sharing the costs. Any helpfull info would be appreciated. I just feel like Im being taken advantage of. Maybe its because Im a girl, I dont know but either he takes the 25% or I just star all over and grow just for me. I feel like leaving Colorado, and just doing it for me.
What should I do...

I saw this happen to a friend of mine. The guy came in tlking a lot of crap that he knew how to grow the best. Brought in a 1000 watt light and reflector. Offered some help some times, but not very much. He then wanted 50% of every grow.

The guy brought in about $500 of lights, and other things. Put in about three hours of labor. He then expected to walk away with a least a pound every four months. When this didn't happen (first time grows are never what they are expected), and after the second harvest, he got upset and threatened to call the cops. He even showed up with a bottle of weed killer, saying he was going to kill off everything. He was shown the door by way of a 12 gauge shotgun.

The guy got 8 OZ's for about $500, of some really good indica and still thought he deserved more.

It is too late now for you, you just have to deal with him. Figure up street price of your harvest, cost it to him at half price. If it goes for 400 a n OZ, one a half oz's is his investment. Once you have doubled his investment, you are done with him. You could still offer him a special price like half off if you want to stay friends. He if doesn't like that, close shop, clean everything out. Move somewhere else.....

Prairie

time to say , you're paid off buddy,,,, its all mine now... stand firm!

i've been in your shoes,,, good luck to ya,,,

If you made a deal, keep it.

OR
dissolve the partnership, give him back his stuff, then do your own thing.

I agree, The problem isnt the deal, 50/50 is fine, but the investment has to be the same, He, already doubled his investment, weve had 8 grows, averaging just over 1/2lb a grow. I need to figure out how much to take off the top for costs, then split the rest also, otherwise im losing more than gaining.

It always seems great at the beginning, everyone's excited about growing their own and saving money and smoking killer weed...Never the case....I think you have gone above and beyond for his "share" and it is time to move on....I personally would give him some seeds, 500 bucks and tell him to set up shop on his own, see how much it cost, than come to any conclusion as to what your entitled on his crop.. If you guys are friends, he will understand that he isn't putting in the same efforts as you and be OK with what he has already gotten and if he was smart, he would do the same thing on his own and have no partner too. If it gets ugly, shut it down for a bit and start on your own later on down the line. It is almost never a perfect world when it comes to sharing or splitting anything that two people are supposed to put in the same efforts into. Then again, if he was willing to pay half the power and costs, I think that he is entitled to around 35% still, and that is because of the risks you are taking from federal that will justify the other 15% he may think he is losing. I'm sure he has made his share of money since the beginning of the whole venture, right? Sorry for blabbing, I just feel bad for you and almost went into it with a "friend" of 20 years and a misunderstanding made him throw all kind of threats at me, so I stalled it, quit talking to him for about a year and started my own...Now I hear he got busted for beating his wife and the cops came in and found his crop...Good luck with this and hope to hear about a great outcome for you!:goodluck:

If you develop a simple Cost of Goods Sold (COG) model to determine your actual operating costs, then you will know hat your profit margin is. You need to include all costs, direct and indirect in the equation.

- The average monthly increase in utilities from a period of time before growing and now.
- Calculate the area used for exclusive use of your grow, and determine what % of your total living area is. Take that % of your rent/mortgage and any insurances, HOA fees etc as a cost. (similar to the IRS calc for a home office expense)
- Add up all nutes and consumables.
- Track your hours spent on the grow (and his). Come up with a good hourly rate to bill back to the grow.
- Any capital investments (lights, fans etc...), divided by the number of months of useful life. Or paid off after first grow?

Add up all of those costs and subtract that from the the total revenue from your grow. What ever is left is your profit margin. If any monies are split, it should only be that amount.

I tend to agree with the majority though. Return all equipment that he provided, tell him you would like to do it on your own at this time. You can pick up seeds or clones at your local collective (at least in CA you can), or buy seeds online.

You can use the experience you've picked up to improve your setup and will most likely have a better ROI when all is said and done.

Best of luck. Going into business (any type of business) with friends or family is not a great idea unless you have clearly defined roles and expectations prior to starting.

Steve

I had friend in a similar situation. He explained the cost and risks things to his friend and they worked out a 50 bucks per plant charge after culling the males. Basically the guy ended up renting space from my friend.

It wasn't a big grow by any means,but helped to offset the guy who owned the grow room's electrical costs.

A couple of hundred bucks for a few ounces of good bud and trim every three months is nothing to bitch about.

yea i would definitely sit him down and get thing squared away. The best thing to do is communicate. And if he brings up paying half correct him with a Talley of all the costs inc all your time. I wouldn't bring all the costs of rent, home owners/renters insu and so forth. Sewer and water, IMHO :) Like every one else has said be fair and worst case you split this one and you go off on your own. I kinda have a guy who was helping me, well we both have set ups that are our own. we both bought beans and i gave him 1 of my 5 and i got 1 of each of two kinda he bought. So after 2 wks none of his bean i got hatched and he said the one i gave him died. But he was having all kinds of sprouting problems cause all 27 of his didn't work along with the 1 of mine. So i ended up giving him my first round of cutting to get him on his feet. ALL i asked was for help when i needed it and for a taste of his when it was done. Well he just finished and it was like 1/4 per @ 40 some so 10z ??( igot 2z per ??) I haven't seen a thing of his. So he is tring to come in and set the price lower, SO low it wont cover costs. And this is after setting the # on the past 8Z. So he is doing some thing all wrong and prob tastes like shite. so he is goona come in and step on my feet.
So i called one of our mutual friends and gave him #s after he told me he told me his were to high months ago. I am not even in it for that i am tring to just stay even. His acerage is much grater then mine, so he will always do better once his set up is running right. But what really erks me is i give him @ whole sell #s so he can keep his going bc hes unemployed and a good friend for yrs now. So Whos wrong ?? Sorry to rant in ur thread but it seems like every time there is more then one there's issues ??

Basementdwell,
I take the viewpoint that either they pay upfront or it's a gift without any expectation of being repaid. Kind of like lending money to a family member, I never expect it back (but it also tempers my decision whether to lend again in the future if they don't). In your case I would have just considered the clones as a gift and put that in the memory bank for later. Sometimes its tough to turn your back on a close friend, but if they are true friends you don't need to worry.

I always have loosely defined a close friend as someone I would lend $1,000 to and know that I would get it back, everyone else is an acquaintance. (I don't lend to acquaintances)

thank U Steve :) I didnt expect, just wish he would get off his lazy arse and get a job. Then things would great. Yes i knew i was helping him with the cuttings but i havent even seen our friend and hes flipping cause i offered him ??. Just feel like he pissed at me and all i ve done is help him. I am thinking his greed is coming out and maybe be his drinking is making him into a $ grubbing expletive

This time split 50/50 like your first deal. You have to honor your deal. From now on...you supply all the grow and take all the proceeds.

pay him back what he invested (including seeds/$) and return the equipment to him (or pay a prorated cost for said equips) and say :thanks: but, business associates, we are not.

you have to draw the line between friends and business, sounds cold, but you can't mix the two and expect to make the profits or gains that you envision for yourself. don't get me wrong, I have grrrreat friends, but for the most part they'll never be more than business associates in the aspect of work and profit, not that i'd chop their legs off for money just that i'm not going to sacrifice or severely slow my goals and yield to hopefully appease them for slight monetary gain. I'd rather have more nug that they can buy at a discount instead of needing to report to them my numbers and actions regarding the plants.

I'm not a mathmagician, just a scientist, outside factors always interfere with experiments, don't let this guy spit in your petri dish.

pay him back what he invested (including seeds/$) and return the equipment to him (or pay a prorated cost for said equips) and say :thanks: but, business associates, we are not.

you have to draw the line between friends and business, sounds cold, but you can't mix the two and expect to make the profits or gains that you envision for yourself. don't get me wrong, I have grrrreat friends, but for the most part they'll never be more than business associates in the aspect of work and profit, not that i'd chop their legs off for money just that i'm not going to sacrifice or severely slow my goals and yield to hopefully appease them for slight monetary gain. I'd rather have more nug that they can buy at a discount instead of needing to report to them my numbers and actions regarding the plants.

I'm not a mathmagician, just a scientist, outside factors always interfere with experiments, don't let this guy spit in your petri dish.

EXACTLY! What you said.....I feel you 100% on the friend/business split. There is always a fine line that is better not crossed....:welldone:

Hi skunk, I feel ya. I have a similar setup here, and have been losing $ for the past year on it by splitting it up the way we have been. But I think Im done, a true friend wouldnt watch you get burried, then take what they think they desreve after really doing nothing. So It dont sound like your so called friend is worth it. Atleast my buddy tried to help by offering to let me keep 60% instead of 50. Which is really no more help at all when your only harvesting less than 1/2lb at a time, every 3-4 months, but atleast it was an offer. Now Ive decided first comes 25% off the top for production costs & Labor, then whatever is left will be split about 75-25, or Ill just ebay all the lights & shit and stop completely, then theres no more free bud for anyone.. But then I'll be the asshole Im sure. But I really dont care anymore

Hi skunk, I feel ya. I have a similar setup here, and have been losing $ for the past year on it by splitting it up the way we have been. But I think Im done, a true friend wouldnt watch you get burried, then take what they think they desreve after really doing nothing. So It dont sound like your so called friend is worth it. Atleast my buddy tried to help by offering to let me keep 60% instead of 50. Which is really no more help at all when your only harvesting less than 1/2lb at a time, every 3-4 months, but atleast it was an offer. Now Ive decided first comes 25% off the top for production costs & Labor, then whatever is left will be split about 75-25, or Ill just ebay all the lights & shit and stop completely, then theres no more free bud for anyone.. But then I'll be the asshole Im sure. But I really dont care anymore

Datripp,
I have a friend that is going to start his own grow but is short on cash. I plan on giving him some clones and some of my older gear to get setup in exchange for 50% of his first grow and 25% of his 2nd. Then he's on his own. I think it is more of a consultants fee to help him get setup and self-sustaining as well as recouping my cost for gear, nutes, clones etc... I'm not trying to make money off of him, just helping a brother out.

I think any other arrangement would be unconscionable with a real friend. Just my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom