DIY 2 - 100W CFL Reflector from HD

DutchDude

I had need for some edge lighting that was relatively cheap, and easy, so Home Depot to the rescue:

1 - 10" clamp light (large reflector with clamp and cord) = $10.97
1 - lamp socket extender (with two outlets) = $2.52
1 - double lamp Y socket = $2.48
2 - 100W CLF lights, 6700k = $5.48 / 6 * 2 = $1.83
======
$17.80

IMG_0283_1_.JPG

Disconnect the clamp from the lamp socket, and screw the light socket into the reflector. Insert the 'socket extender' into the socket. I choose the one with the two outlets because it was cheaper and taller than the regular 'medium' extender HD had. Now screw the Y socket adapter into the extender.

IMG_0284_1_.JPG

And screw in the light bulbs.

IMG_0285_1_.JPG

Hang it up, and flip the switch - IT IS THAT SIMPLE !!

IMG_0287_1_.JPG

My current light setup. Two of these reflectors + 250W MH

IMG_02889.JPG

Come on - anybody can do this for this cheap. You can probable make one per plant? Maybe even fit 2 x 300 W CFL? or with two more Y adapters, perhaps even fit 4 bulbs (let me know if that works if you try it ;) ) Of course, if you don't want to hang it from the ceiling, then the clamps are already included in the reflector package!

Re: DIY 2*100W CFL reflector from HD $17.80

Great tutorial!!! I love HD, have a business account with em and been with em since they switched their name from Home Quarters....+rep

Great tutorial!!! I love HD, have a business account with em and been with em since they switched their name from Home Quarters....+rep

Thanks for reading - it was simple and done a thousand times before, but I am always looking for something visual, and exact prices, so I try to give back where I can.

Don't worry about the rep - not sure what it does for me anyway :)

Our Home Depot used to be called Home Base? Or does that date me?

Yeah, I believe they bought Several lines of stores at the same time all around the country or something, because I have heard several people tell me different names for their stores that HD bought out!! Monopoly anyone?

I am sure that 20 bucks you spent will give you a noticeable boost. thats going to have a high ROI for sure!

Thanks for the comment GSL. I ended up building two of them.... So, hopefully double the ROI? :)

Saving up for two of your 300's eventually! (Or should I wait for the 5W LEDs to come down in price?)

Actually we have tested 5 Watt, their only 10-15% brighter than a 3w, the rest of the energy basically makes a bunch of heat, their just not as efficient.

LED manufactures need to improve the efficiency on the higher wattage diodes or they just aren't worth it. Right now it just seems that higher wattage sells even though their less efficient per watt, people just want to here a higher number lol!

Unless of course your talking about a 5w/5chip led. then thats just 5 1watt led's really close to each other on one chip, which is exactly the same as 5 1 watt leds, dumb.

So whats the size of that tent?

Props for the DiY.

But...
2 - 100W CLF lights, 6700k = $5.48 / 6 * 2 = $1.83

Those aren't 100-watt CFLs. They look more like 26-watt ones. CFLs at and above 100 watts are bigger. Here's a picture of a 105-watt CFL, for example (it's the one on the left, lol):
Parmax_rosebud.JPG

You can probable make one per plant? Maybe even fit 2 x 300 W CFL? or with two more Y adapters,

CFLs over 125 watts or so tend to require mogul sockets (like your MH). I've not seen a Y-adaptor for moguls.

Little sophie is going to be great. I know what you mean about space though. I really envy the guys who can use an entire spare bedroom, or a garage. You always want more room :)

Ty for the optimism sir! :) I even love your use of your space, inspires me to try and hoe out all the junk under my stairs haha.

Back
Top Bottom