DIY-Become a DIY home grower Electrical Engineers

I'm going to have to look at it again, I could have touched the screws where the hot and neg fasten to the side of the outlet, I'll kill the power and take a look, I don't like having that outlet out of the wall like that, it must hang out a foot.....is there something that test outlets to me sure they are wired correctly? also, should I fold the wires or should I shorten them so the outlet fits in the box?

Shutting off the main breaker in the panel does not shut the voltage off to the lugs the main line coming in is connected to. It does shut off power to the buss bar that the breakers connect to. So in another words you still have to be safe working in the panel, if you slip with something and touch those lugs,,,,well they could be engraving your head stone with the nick name sparky.

If I replace the breaker with a GFIC one, shouldn't I just be able to cut of the main breakers in the panel and pull the old breaker out and slap in the new one? doesn't a breaker just pull out by hand, and replaced the same way? thanks

I'm going to have to look at it again, I could have touched the screws where the hot and neg fasten to the side of the outlet, I'll kill the power and take a look, I don't like having that outlet out of the wall like that, it must hang out a foot.....is there something that test outlets to me sure they are wired correctly? also, should I fold the wires or should I shorten them so the outlet fits in the box?

Whenever you work on electric and dont have a meter to check that the circuit is off,,,doesnt matter if you turned the breaker off,,,always work on it like its live.

They do make little dummy light plugs to check outlets for proper wiring.

Your best bet is to buy a multimeter, can be purchased for like $5 from harbor freight. Their pretty crappy but will work just fine for what you need it for. Google is your friend when it comes to how to use one. Googling anything you dont know about is pretty awesome. Thats how I found this website when I wanted to learn how to grow.

Not talking about you specifically but so many people think that because they know where wires go that they know how to do electrical. Such as just an outlet. If you dont make a hook with your wire in the clockwise direction of the screw its being put on, it can come off, either while your doing it or overtime. There is a whole bunch of stupid little tricks that you learn from doing something for many years.

Shut the breaker off, check outlet for power, if not there take wires off, cut them back but not to short, strip the ends a half inch, make hooks like I stated above. Put white wire (neutral/return, its not a negative) on silver screw, put black wire (hot) on brass screw, put green or bare wire on green screw.

When you cut the wires back, make sure you leave at least 4 inches sticking out of the box, makes it easier to wire the outlet.

If I replace the breaker with a GFIC one, shouldn't I just be able to cut of the main breakers in the panel and pull the old breaker out and slap in the new one? doesn't a breaker just pull out by hand, and replaced the same way? thanks

Yes, shut main off, pull breaker, remove wire, put wire on new breaker, put breaker back in, turn main back on.............Replace breaker with exact same amperage rating.

Some breakers are screwed down.

Good info Puffpuff, wish I found this thread sooner would have enjoyed helping with some input, but I always enjoy seeing the things people do not knowing the danger they put themselves. Oh and yes I am have a journey electrician lic and master electrician lic. I will keep an eye out incase of anyone has anymore questions in the future. Being disabled now it is fun to use my knowledge again.
Also it is always a good idea to test the outlet with a meter or tick tracer(little light) before you turn off the power,then after,Turn power back on and repeat just to double check that is the correct circuit. Taught that as a baby electrician and never forgot it as a routine SOP.:peace:

PS please everyone stay safe and no electrocutions please we want you all to be around here for a lot longer.

Good info Puffpuff, wish I found this thread sooner would have enjoyed helping with some input, but I always enjoy seeing the things people do not knowing the danger they put themselves. Oh and yes I am have a journey electrician lic and master electrician lic. I will keep an eye out incase of anyone has anymore questions in the future. Being disabled now it is fun to use my knowledge again.
Also it is always a good idea to test the outlet with a meter or tick tracer(little light) before you turn off the power,then after,Turn power back on and repeat just to double check that is the correct circuit. Taught that as a baby electrician and never forgot it as a routine SOP.:peace:

PS please everyone stay safe and no electrocutions please we want you all to be around here for a lot longer.

Good to have another Sparky aboard! :)

In reference to outlets and grow ops, please spend the extra dough to install GFIC outlets or breakers. They will literally save your life!

HD

So there is something I can check my lines with to be sure they are wired correctly? my dad did most of the wiring in the house, god rest his soul, and for the most part it is spot on, but pop came from a time when you cut all the corners you could, even if you didn't need to LOL and I went in there years ago and changed some wires....nothing ever burnt down LOL, but any hoot how much does something to test the lines with cost, now I mean to be sure things are wired right, not a test light.....thanks, oh one last thing, the breaker replacement, so I have to wire the thing in? for some reason I thought it replaced like a fuse...maybe I'd be better just running off one of those GFIC cords, could I plug my power strip into that..as long as its a short run?

Whenever you work on electric and dont have a meter to check that the circuit is off,,,doesnt matter if you turned the breaker off,,,always work on it like its live.

They do make little dummy light plugs to check outlets for proper wiring.

Your best bet is to buy a multimeter, can be purchased for like $5 from harbor freight. Their pretty crappy but will work just fine for what you need it for. Google is your friend when it comes to how to use one. Googling anything you dont know about is pretty awesome. Thats how I found this website when I wanted to learn how to grow.

Not talking about you specifically but so many people think that because they know where wires go that they know how to do electrical. Such as just an outlet. If you dont make a hook with your wire in the clockwise direction of the screw its being put on, it can come off, either while your doing it or overtime. There is a whole bunch of stupid little tricks that you learn from doing something for many years.

Shut the breaker off, check outlet for power, if not there take wires off, cut them back but not to short, strip the ends a half inch, make hooks like I stated above. Put white wire (neutral/return, its not a negative) on silver screw, put black wire (hot) on brass screw, put green or bare wire on green screw.

When you cut the wires back, make sure you leave at least 4 inches sticking out of the box, makes it easier to wire the outlet.

One other thought is, if I'm going to have to disconnect the outlet, why not put in a GFIC one then? its the cheapest way to to protect the line I'm using, I don't have to replace the breaker then right?

So there is something I can check my lines with to be sure they are wired correctly? my dad did most of the wiring in the house, god rest his soul, and for the most part it is spot on, but pop came from a time when you cut all the corners you could, even if you didn't need to LOL and I went in there years ago and changed some wires....nothing ever burnt down LOL, but any hoot how much does something to test the lines with cost, now I mean to be sure things are wired right, not a test light.....thanks, oh one last thing, the breaker replacement, so I have to wire the thing in? for some reason I thought it replaced like a fuse...maybe I'd be better just running off one of those GFIC cords, could I plug my power strip into that..as long as its a short run?

I explained everything in detail, every question you just asked.

The breaker is one wire, ya cant mess it up but for safety reasons I suggest you have someone electrically inclined give you a hand.

I explained everything in detail, every question you just asked.

The breaker is one wire, ya cant mess it up but for safety reasons I suggest you have someone electrically inclined give you a hand.

You did I must have missed it, I'll go back and re-read (blame the Larry Kush) what about replacing the receptacle with a GFIC one? then I don't have to replace the breaker right...sorry dude...just want to be sure I got this LOL

You did I must have missed it, I'll go back and re-read (blame the Larry Kush) what about replacing the receptacle with a GFIC one? then I don't have to replace the breaker right...sorry dude...just want to be sure I got this LOL

Being high and trying to learn electric on the internet may not be the best thing.:) Wait till tomorrow and reread what I wrote in my first post.

Being high and trying to learn electric on the internet may not be the best thing.:) Wait till tomorrow and reread what I wrote in my first post.

True that LOL, but really I'm trying to put a list together of what I need to pick up on the way back from my doctor appt in the am

Ok bro I'm still buzzed but I re-read what you posted, and I got that, I see how to install the outlet, what I'd like to know is if I install a GFIC outlet, I don't have to replace the breaker to right? and if I install the GFIC outlet on the 1st outlet on the line in that room, then all the other outlets on the same circuit behind that one are protected also right? as always thanks and peace out

Ok bro I'm still buzzed but I re-read what you posted, and I got that, I see how to install the outlet, what I'd like to know is if I install a GFIC outlet, I don't have to replace the breaker to right? and if I install the GFIC outlet on the 1st outlet on the line in that room, then all the other outlets on the same circuit behind that one are protected also right? as always thanks and peace out

Yes, if you replace the first in line all others will be protected.

Yes but only if you connect the wire that goes to the rest of the outlets to the second set of screws on the GFCI that comes cover with a sticker, I belive it will say for downstream outlets.. if it is just a pig tail from wirenut to the GFCI the cords plugged into it are the only things protected.

Also I may have missed if someone corrected it but i read in someone post that outlets are connected in series, it should have said parallel if it was series the power would drop after each devise plugged in. Old Xmas lights were in series that why if the first bulb blew out they all would go out because it would act ;like a switch an stop all current flow.

Yes but only if you connect the wire that goes to the rest of the outlets to the second set of screws on the GFCI that comes cover with a sticker, I belive it will say for downstream outlets.. if it is just a pig tail from wirenut to the GFCI the cords plugged into it are the only things protected.

Also I may have missed if someone corrected it but i read in someone post that outlets are connected in series, it should have said parallel if it was series the power would drop after each devise plugged in. Old Xmas lights were in series that why if the first bulb blew out they all would go out because it would act ;like a switch an stop all current flow.

Their marked line and load.

Back
Top Bottom