DIY Cabinet Grow - My thoughts and questions

hobosteeze

Hello farmers!

I'm new here, but hopefully you'll be seeing me around as I prepare to build my own DIY grow cabinet! I have had some experience growing in the past; mainly outdoors, but now that I'm becoming an adult I've decided to build a more legitimate grow room for myself.

Stealth was a very big priority to me; my goal was for something that would blend in to my home office. I also wanted a well contained area in the hopes to better control humidity and temp. I wanted at least a 600w HPS running and hoped to have about a 3x4 grow space.

Here is what I've come up with so far:

Front.PNG

side2.PNG

Using this design, it allows me to fit an area between plywood and maple wood with sound proofing material to hide any fan noise, etc. This DIY cabinet gives me everything I need!

Heres where my questions start with my purposed set up:
I've decided to purchase a 600w kit (lower end kit, but intend to upgrade within the next 9 months and use this kit in a veg cabinet). I will be using an air cooled hood and a Carbon filter kit for smell.
I will be growing 6 plants, ending up in 5 gallon buckets. My plan is to mainline my plants and use a scrog net to help with structure and organization.

I had intended on building a space bucket before I decided to take the leap for this project and I was planning to build 5 CFL's into the buckets lid... something like this:

w1SutkT.jpg

Would it be beneficial to my grow to use two 5 CFL lids to get different angles that my HPS is missing? I understand that that is a little of a ghetto rigged set up, but I have them so I might as well look to use them!
(Considering swapping those out with LED panels in the future to get a better spectrum)

Anyways, I wanted to post here to share my design, get some feedback, and ask some questions!

More important, I'm glad to say hello! I hope you all are staying medicated out there! :volcano-smiley:

Six plants in that space is going to get crazy real fast. 4 in that space scrog might be about right but still probably too much. I've seen 2 plants in a scrog cover a 5x5 layout.

Sent from my iPhone using 420

I've thought about that and am considering bringing it down to 4 plants!

I'm not planning to use the scrog so much for training as for supporting the colas off the mainline. Maybe i'll get a dual benefit!

Any thoughts on using ~230w CFLs in this setup to get more coverage and hopefully increase the yield?

Why not top and scrog? You'll get more and it'll be easier to get light to all the flowers vs your main colas getting most of the light and your bottom ones not so much? Because when the colas start coming you'll have to raise the light so they don't burn and that takes away from the lower flowers.

I think the overall goal of mainlining is to reduce getting any lower cola's. Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but I believe its goal is to get the plant to only focus on growing main coals reducing any popcorn buds, etc.

Not sure how mainlining works, I figure by topping a plant and lst them to stay low the the light can stay low as well hence giving all flowers close to even amount of light causing it to not have popcorn. That's my thinking anyways. I'm a new grower but I have managed to get close to 7oz off a topped plant that that was no higher than 36 inches when finished.

Not sure how mainlining works, I figure by topping a plant and lst them to stay low the the light can stay low as well hence giving all flowers close to even amount of light causing it to not have popcorn. That's my thinking anyways. I'm a new grower but I have managed to get close to 7oz off a topped plant that that was no higher than 36 inches when finished.

Ah! Mainlining works by incorporating topping, removing all growth underneath the created tops,and some more intense lst to create a large manifold where the growth comes from. Nugbuckets did a tutorial here:

https://www.------------.com/mainlining-nugbuckets

What size space an light did you use to get 7oz off one plant? My end goal once I'm used this room and nutes is to get 8oz per ;)

Sent from my SM-N910V using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Oh yeah, so I guess what I described was mainlining lol. I guess I mainlined and didn't even know it. I thought it was just called topping and lst.

Oh yeah, so I guess what I described was mainlining lol. I guess I mainlined and didn't even know it. I thought it was just called topping and lst.

I looked at your grow journals! Looks like whatever your doing is working! I'm sorta interested in a DWC hydro grow but am pretty tied to soil for now.

Maybe next time :)

I'm assuming you looked at my first grow journal? I grew a second one which was way better and now onto my third.

I'm currently growing both soil and dwc and I enjoy the 'set it and forget it' with dwc. Soil, I hate to water all the freaking time.

I'm assuming you looked at my first grow journal? I grew a second one which was way better and now onto my third.

I'm currently growing both soil and dwc and I enjoy the 'set it and forget it' with dwc. Soil, I hate to water all the freaking time.

Did you post a journal for your second and third?

Maybe I'm missing them

I did not really make a journal for my last grow and this current grow, I only post pics here and there on a topping thread.

This one gave me the 6. something oz
IMG_037932.JPG

IMG_059946.JPG

Here's pic of my current grow. DWC and soil. Note: they are all the same age cept for the one in the far back in soil, not sure what's going on with soil but they seem to be taking forever!!!
IMG_187419.JPG

IMG_187620.JPG

3rd time ever growing anything, I'm still learning
If you're getting 6oz on a plant I'd say your're off to a great start!

I'm hoping to start buying the parts for this wardrobe grow next week and home to plant by the first week of august!

Back
Top Bottom