DIY Carbon High Flo Filter - 30 bucks

For those of you who've been curious as to how this sealed tub carbon filter that operates bass-ackwards ties into the air distribution mechanism located under the house. I've had to run the 170 cfm vortex fan at full bore since the beginning of this project over a year ago. The step up from this one is a 6", 440 cfm Echo Plus vortex fan. Of all the fans (next to a big assed squirrel cage). these cant be beat. And for DEPENDABLE use, they blow the socks off those cheesy inline fans that you can get at your local hardware store labeled as "booster fans". Having already been down that road, I happen to have a 6" version of that "booster" fan. I connected it directly to the OUTLET of the carbon filter box, then connected the 6" flex leading outside to the booster fan outlet and plugged it in. Even as cheesy as these are, it puts around 240 cfm PULLING from the filter. So now I have 440 pushing into carbon filter and 240 cfm pulling OUT of the tub the carbon filter is located in. This should take care of this any any future heat related issues and totally wipe any odors for a long time. With the 1/15th hp chiller taking care of reservoir temps in both reservoirs (Congrats Orangeblood on your 1/10th hp chiller, your in for a helluva lot less headaches):bravo:, and the cabinet's passive darkroom registers upstairs and down now drawing in enough air to keep my cab temps about 6 deg above the ambient air surrounding the cabinet with the 4" vortex fan already, this upgrade should perform to the point I have to adjust the fan speed down, with power to spare.:cheer: Still, to this day, in having researched those "high dollar" grow cabs boasting 400 to 600 watts of HPS lighting, and vented with a few computer fans without overheating is either beyond my understanding or they are flat full of you know what. Maybe someone here who HAS one of those cabinets that boast these claims can chime in. I have personally had to jump through hoops to get my grow cab operating at consistent and worry free conditions. A 250 watt HPS light WITH glass and insulted hood that's ducted as well will heat up an insulated 6 gallon reservoir within a day, and drive those temps into the dangerous 80 deg mark, setting the stage for all kinds of root associated problems. I've since updated that light to a 400. Running 400 watts of HPS in an 18"x36" environment has tested my patience from just going from the 250 to the 400, as far as increased heat issues are concerned. FINALLY, (unless I was made an offer I simply couldn't refuse) there is no need to pull what has worked well for so many years outside of a small environment and go LED, though this technology is of GREAT interest to me, as heat related issues are practically non-existent. And from what I understand of the HGT and HSS shootout, a clear winner in these two lights seems to have emerged. :reading420magazine: All in all, this has been a fun, challenging ride that has gone on now for about a year now, fighting one thing or another. Setting up a 12'x12' room is hands down easier and can be done with proven, systematic results. A very small environment attempting to utilize a high intensity light, all while requiring true "stealth" has been a difficult task, however, you could walk right by it and never know it holds something other than storeable food and medicine, which indecently, and in it's own way IS food for the soul and meds for all my ailments... Now, I'm done and soon, I'll get bored for another project, and maybe (probably) you can help. Here is what's on my mind. My MDT-1 Master Digital Timer has a function I don't know what is for, but it must be something I need, or it wouldn't be there, right? Glad you agree. I have a 110v outlet that energizes ONLY when the call for lights out. So I presume it has something to do with something that takes place when the lights are out, or they wouldn't have put it there. What's it for?

Here's the location of the new noise isolated fan thread that ties into the carbon filter. Enclosed Inline Fan Noise Isolation Cabinet For Passive Grow Cabs

Enjoy! It's time for me to :roorrip:and relax. 'Gnight all:cough:

From what i can see from a brief skim of the specs, its designed so that when your lights are off, & hence the cool down effect, a heating element can be deployed to maintain min temps till lights on again.

It also mentioned the alternative with deploying an extra small fan so you can prevent a build-up of excess humidity when the plants transpire at night.

Back
Top Bottom