DIY Carbon Scrubber

I've had in the bucket for 2 grows so far and is still working well. Humidity is a problem for carbon so I keep the humidity blow 30%.

i just want to be sure i understand this filter.
the fan sits on top of the black pipe, blowing air down and into the charcoal, forcing it up and out the little holes?
would this work if you hooked up a hose from the room to the top of the black pipe?
im thinking smaller scale of this for a small grow tub.

Sounds like a good cheap way of goin. I have found home brew supply stores sell activated carbon quite cheap because you need a large amount for home brew.
Aquarium supply and pet stores "charge like a wounded bull" for the stuff because you only use small amounts in fish tank filters.

Sounds like a good cheap way of goin. I have found home brew supply stores sell activated carbon quite cheap because you need a large amount for home brew.
Aquarium supply and pet stores "charge like a wounded bull" for the stuff because you only use small amounts in fish tank filters.

I've brewed beer at home, but don't remember using activated charcoal. What is it used for in the process?

Beer No. Spirits Yes Sir. It is used in the filtration process when distilling spirits.
I probably should have made myself clearer but am usually quite ripped lol.
:allgood:

the fan sits on top of the black pipe, blowing air down and into the charcoal, forcing it up and out the little holes?
would this work if you hooked up a hose from the room to the top of the black pipe?
Yes this is how I have it hooked up now. And I have had it hooked up with an exhaust vent to pull all the dirty air out of the flower room and into the cannister. I just find it easier to just sit the bucket on the floor of the flower room and let it continuosly recycle the air.

Yes this is how I have it hooked up now. And I have had it hooked up with an exhaust vent to pull all the dirty air out of the flower room and into the cannister. I just find it easier to just sit the bucket on the floor of the flower room and let it continuosly recycle the air.

Have you tried "pulling" air through the bucket instead of pushing it through?

Most fans work more efficiently in pulling mode.

Yeah, you got it man. That's exactly how it works. If you hook a hose from the room to the top of the black pipe, that would work, too, so long as there is a fan on the other end of the hose blowing stinky air from the room through it. The key is to force air through the carbon.

Yeah, you got it man. That's exactly how it works. If you hook a hose from the room to the top of the black pipe, that would work, too, so long as there is a fan on the other end of the hose blowing stinky air from the room through it. The key is to force air through the carbon.

so its better to force air through the carbon rather than try to pull it through?
at the moment, i have a peanutbutter jar wrapped with screen, holes cut in lower half, 3/4 full of carbon with a fan pulling the air up and through. notice a little bit of smell, but nothing like when i open the lid to the tub.
planning a pc grow soon and was thinking i could just rig up one of your buckets, throw a T adapter on there and hook up a hose to each pc (2, one for veging clones and one for flower). i plan on putting a inline fan just above the carbon and a 4 inch puter fan blowing from each "chamber" into the hose going to the bucket.

If you hook a hose from the room to the top of the black pipe, that would work, too, so long as there is a fan on the other end of the hose blowing stinky air from the room through it.
How do u plan on hooking a hose to a fan? I am very confused. When U say "hose" are u speaking of ducting?

so its better to force air through the carbon rather than try to pull it through?
U can force air thru if the filter is outside of the flowering area or pull air thru is the filter is inside of the grow room. These are the only 2 ways I see being necessary for a small/home grow.

so i heard carbon scrubbers do and dont work? witch is it....if they cant controll odor what is the point? i want somthing that can get 100% all the smell out!!! PLEASE HELP

Try a cycle with a carbon filter/scrubber and a day or two in bloom without one and I think it will be irrefutably clear to u which is the preferred choice.

I agree. Depending on starins and room being tight there are going to be variables but they will certainly remove most of the smell. You also have to make sure you get one big enough. To make sure get one bigger than you think you really need.

Back
Top Bottom