DIY Carbon Scrubber

Thank you for sharing an outstanding DYI idea! I'm now working on a canister style scrubber to sit over the top of my exhaust fan using your principle. I'm just hoping I have enough CFM flow, as BCW Bay Area points out, to push the air through the carbon.

BCW Bay Area, how many pounds of carbon were you able to get for $50.00? Thanks in advance.

Sorry about that CW mix up, slipped by these tired old eyes. Thanks for responding.

Sorry about that CW mix up, slipped by these tired old eyes. Thanks for responding.

Lol. No biggie. I thought u might have looked in my album in the member's gallery. I have like a page and a half of pics where I spelled it wrong in the title. Just noticed it yesterday my damn self.
OldSkool, I thought about it. I think I got like 30lbs of activated charcoal for around $50.00. Post a pic of urs when its done.

Thank you for sharing an outstanding DYI idea! I'm now working on a canister style scrubber to sit over the top of my exhaust fan using your principle. I'm just hoping I have enough CFM flow, as BCW Bay Area points out, to push the air through the carbon.

BCW Bay Area, how many pounds of carbon were you able to get for $50.00? Thanks in advance.

If I remember correctly I paid $46 for a 50lb box.

I believe activated charcoal has been heated to higher temp than charcoal to completely purify it.
I bought mine at the local hydro store but you can find better prices on ebay.

We were trying to distinguish the difference from carbon and activated charcoal. I wouldn't buy anything that has to do with odor control off ebay. If u have a problem with th product and the seller doesn't wanna refund ur cash, then ur money is tied up pending administrative action, ur grow still smells and u gotta spend more money to control the odor. I know, I know its been convenient for a few of u. Personally I speak from experience. How would u as a buyer be able to distinguish used charcoal from new charcoal? Point is u don't know what ur getting from who. Just something to consider.

Thanks for the info on poundage.

Now all I have to do is find a 10" ID, and 12" ID PVC pipe, bucket, or whatever to construct my scrubber. Think of it as a short can within a taller can similar to the authors design sans flex ducting. I plan on placing it directly over my 9" OD exhaust fan, allowing the dirty air to flow up the 10" ID conduit, into a close cambered area of the 12" ID conduit (sealed w/removable lid), then down the 2" wide space between the conduits, into carbon laying between them, then hopefully, exiting as clean air through holes drilled around the bottom of the sealed base of the outer 12" conduit. I'm still working on the height of both conduits, figuring that I need at least 4" of open camber space between the top of the 10" center exhaust, and top of the 12" outer conduit to ease pressure effect.

Thanks again for all your help.

Are we talking about an in-line duct fan here, or a more powerful exhaust fan like a Can Fan, or Vortex, or something? What's the CFM rating on the in-line fan you're using to push the air into the bucket? Also, are you saying that your in-line fan is strong enough to pull the air from an 8x8 room, through the ducting, into the bucket, which is in another room, and effectively scrub it? I would think the fan would meet a lot of resistance trying to push air through 40 lbs of cabron and those tiny holes in the lid and not be able to efficiently move enough air out of the grow room. If you say it works, I believe you! :) I'm just wondering how it works so well.

Thanks!

I was wondering the same thing....I would think you'd need a huge cfm fan and it would be running under huge load....more power consumption damn.....really great idea I think I'll try to make a varient of it with less restriction......I love diy stuff

You don't really want to big of a fan because then it travels through the scrubber too fast and doesn't allow the carbon to do its thing. Also using the standard inline fans are very quiet if thats an issue where you grow.

I was wondering the same thing....I would think you'd need a huge cfm fan and it would be running under huge load....more power consumption damn.....really great idea I think I'll try to make a varient of it with less restriction......I love diy stuff

If you try this out, please let us know the details!

Box is a micro kind and I have 120mm computer fans and i am planing to mount a carbon filter on it. At the same time i want to reduce the sound of fans with putting filter in front of fan where it blows through. I know that computer fans are better in sucking air though filter than blowing it into filter so i am asking is there is a whole lot of a diffrence with two 120mm fans blowing or sucking the air? Any idea how to build some kind of a muffler in front of those fans which facing the room where the box is?

Back
Top Bottom