DIY CFL Deep Water Culture Grow A

Everything is looking good for the last two days. The ph has stayed pretty level right around 6.0. They have drank about a half gallon each of the last couple of days. Yesterday I added a gallon of ph'd water with 1/6th nutes and I figure to do the same tomorrow. Now at 26 days from seeds being soaked on Dec. 11. went into the system on Dec. 12.

Here is a overview pic
DSC001522.JPG

This is Alison (Barneys Morning Glory) stem is about as thick as my index finger
DSC001622.JPG

Angelina (Barneys Sweet Tooth) took about a week to restart growth after I screwed up her roots a bit but she is looking real good now
DSC001573.JPG

All the roots looking solid
DSC001661.JPG

Adriana (DinaFem Blue Hash) kind of a funny looking top but real nice growth the last couple of days
DSC001721.JPG

Kind of an interesting view here thru the open hole.
DSC001682.JPG

See you all again soon

At some point I'm gonna build me one of those. Good mix on the lights with the 5100k and 2700K's. The thing I don't know is how to wire from socket to socket but I'd bet it just match the color code of the wire straight through from one socket to another till you get to the down plug. Dad was an electrician for the RR but that talent skipped a generation or two.

Do your 42 watt get hot? The 5100's I bought don't have vents in the ballast and they can get close to the heat of my 105's which are vented.

My bulbs are fairly cool MC I can put my hand to them for about 5 seconds before they get too hot.

Here is the diagram I used to figure out how to wire the bulbs, just picture each fixture as each bulb. The toughest part is you have to kind of plan out where you are going to put the wirenuts because it gets kind of tight running the wires thru the 1" pvc. I will have some good pictures and a fairly detailed explanation of how I did the light up soon.
multiple_light_fixtures_cr.jpg

Hey Mata, I'm copying your light fixture, just picked up the pvc parts yesterday. At my hardware store the sockets they had were coated in rubber for outdoor use, I wasn't looking for those, that's just what they had. But the great thing is they fit very snugly into a 1 1/4 " pvc "T". So I'm using a bigger pipe than you, again not by design, but that should help with the wire nuts. I'll post something of what I do, hopefully this weekend.

But thanks for the idea man, great work there!

Yeah that should be perfect FPF

Here is a pic from the side. The pvc into the T makes a perfect ledge for the matal pipe to sit on.

DSC001902.JPG

Then I just used zip ties to hold it down here
DSC001912.JPG

Here it is from the inside
DSC001933.JPG

LOL "sharezees!" Hahahaha

Meta, how much do you think it cost you all together to make the light fixture? If you said it already, sorry! :thanks:

cost me about $45

$8 for the vent pipe for the reflector
$10 for the pvc, tee's and elbows
$20 for the sockets
$5 for the chain and hooks

My father was an electrician so he had left a big roll of romex here for the wiring, but I can't imagine it would cost too much to buy maybe 25 feet of it. Also the zip ties I had but those can't be more than a couple bucks.

cost me about $45

$20 for the sockets

My father was an electrician so he had left a big roll of romex here for the wiring, but I can't imagine it would cost too much to buy maybe 25 feet of it. Also the zip ties I had but those can't be more than a couple bucks.

Actually I found the Romex to be a bit pricey. I bought the lamp cord, 16/3 is plenty big. And at .$39/ft a good price. Romex is about 4 times the price, at least in my neighborhood.

cost me about $45

$20 for the sockets

Still though, the whole thing would be less than 100 dollars... Hrm. My 150 watt HPS I just got was ~ 100, but it puts off alot of heat... I enjoy CFLs more I think.

So things are looking good although crowded in garden. Ph has stayed steady just under 6.0. Temps are good, mid 70's in the cab and mid 60's in the res. My only issue I would say is I am not seeing much vertical growth, although they are bushy as hell. I have been gradually raising my ppm throughout the past week by adding a little extra each time I replace the water that the plants used. They are now up to 3/4 of a gallon a day. I am now up to about 800 ppm. I am starting to think about changing over to flower soon because they are so crowded. Next time I will definitely grow 4 plants at a time. Today is 29 days since I soaked the seeds, 28 days in the system.

Here are some pics

DSC00204.JPG

DSC002141.JPG

DSC002222.JPG

DSC002201.JPG

Here are my products the small bottle is Floralicious plus
DSC002251.JPG

Back
Top Bottom