DIY CO2 Generator

Darf.Vappor

I have been doing research on the benefits of adding CO2 to your grow room. I decided that it looked like a fun project and hopefully, I will see some benefits of adding it. I didn't have the money for a proper CO2 setup so I figured I'd try this hillbilly version.

If anyone has any experience using this setup let me know.

My inspiration for this project came from these videos.

Everything (except for tools) that I used for this build was purchased at my local Walmart for about 25 dollars. Sorry, I don't have a break down on cost, but I lost the receipt.

Materials:

1 brand new 5-gallon bucket with lid.
1 aquarium air pump - $15
1 air stone
Assorted T fittings
1 25 ft piece of aquarium tubing
1 plastic bottle with cap.
1 plastic bowl with lid. Must be big enough to accommodate the air pump.
Silicone sealant

I will be also adding a heater and digital thermometer to this build.

Total build time around 45 minutes.

The first step I did was to check to make sure my air pump worked out of the box. Next, I hot glued the plastic container to the top of the bucket lid. Then I drilled holes through both.

The dog decided that she would assist. Holes have been drilled through the container and the lid. I cut a notch out on the side of the container using my oscillating tool. Next, I ran silicone around the bottom of the bowl to ensure a good seal.

I placed the air pump and connected the hose to the pump. Once the air pump is enclosed inside the container it should be pumping CO2 through the hose that is being made in the bucket.

Notch will require silicone.

I added a bubbler to the system. This as far as I can tell is an unneeded step, but it does give you a visual queue that your system is running.
I secured the bottle to the side of the bucket with a couple strips of velcro. I ran the line from the air pump into the bottle, then I will run another line out to my grow areas.

I ran the tubing from the CO2 generator into my grow tent and I used the air stone at the end of the line to distribute the CO2.

I used a T on the feed line and I ran it into my dome with my clones. As you can see this area I have my clones in is very make-shift. I posted another DIY where I build an enclosure for this area.

DIY - Enclosure

Final Step. Start making CO2.

One of the recipes I found is a simple yeast, sugar and water mixture. I figured I would try this one first.
6 cups of sugar, 2 tablespoons of yeast and 2 gallons of water. Make sure that your water does not exceed 80 F (26 C) which can kill the yeast.

Making bubbles - good sign hopefully!

Nice set up! I had to chuckle - I went through looking at each of the photos and when I got to those 2 plants on your end table, I was like 'wow, a lot of effort to supply some co2 to those plants'. Then I saw the plants in the tent :laugh:

Great idea, then when it stops bubbling, throw it into an air still, and you've got some moonshine!

I add rum flavor to mine :)

Back
Top Bottom