DIY COB LED build - 6 Cree CXB3070 220W

Caconym

OK, so after much dithering, a little encouragement and a lot of research, I have decided to build a DIY COB LED lighting system for my compact stealth box. The footprint is approx 0.75x1m and the box is only 0.8m tall inside so I decided to go for 6 COBs spaced out across the entire ceiling to try and maximise coverage. I've ordered the LEDs, driver, holders, heatsinks and a power supply for the heatsink fans.

Parts:
6 x Cree CXB3070 COB LED arrays 3500K
Mean Well HLG-240H-C1050B driver
TE Connectivity holders
6 x Arctic cooling Alpine 11 pro rev.2 PC CPU cooler
Generic 12V 1A power supply for the fans

Numbers:
1050mA current
~35V/COB total 210V driver rating 238V
35V*1.05A*6=220W driver rating 249.9W
~6000 lumen per COB total 36000 lumen
Cost - over twice original lighting budget

I plan to update as the parts arrive and I get to the bodging, hopefully the information will be useful to someone. Oh and if I mess up hopefully someone can help me haha. Feel free to ask me questions, although I can't promise I will be able to answer fully or indeed correctly... This is a learn-as-i-go affair.

Sounds really cool I am about 3 weeks to finish of my first grow using 8 3590 3500k at 400w in a 1x1 m2 and it is going really well. My build was also expensive, but worth it. I am sure you will be happy you want down the cob road.

I hope I've not missed a huge saving... I'm sure the Cree chips won't disappoint performance-wise anyhow.
I built my light around 3 months ago and now Vero bring out a cob that is more efficient and cheaper than the crees I used. My light cost around 900 euro. How do you think I feel ? Hope this makes you feel better

Your investment in good equipment will go a long way. Best part, you know exactly what you are getting and how it was cared for! :thumb:

420-magazine-mobile1428724374.jpg

Driver, COBs and holders. Don't want to get the chips out of the electro-static bag until I'm ready to start mounting them on the heatsinks.

Was hoping to make some progress with the build today but I've ended up losing the afternoon to a completely pointless hospital appointment so will have to see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom