DIY drying box with odor control

Mr. Krip

Product Reviewer
420 Staff
MY DIY DRYING BOX WITH ODOR CONTROL

I was posting pics of my new drying box in my journal as I was building it. The info was scattered over a few posts and I received a request to post the instructions here in their entirety.

So, here it goes...

Since I'm getting real close to harvest, I figured it was time to start thinking about where & how I'm gonna dry all these sweet-smelling buds. In the last several days, I've also given a lot of additional thought to odor control (they're really stinking, now!) and even more thought to my limited budget at the moment.

Here's what I've come up with...

I had picked up a small drying net on eBay for just under $20 (PM me if you want the link).

I then went to U-Haul and picked up what they call a "Grand Wardrobe Box" for $11.95. It's the kind they use to move clothes on hangers and comes with a hanger bar:

IMAGE_525.jpg

I cut an octagon centered towards the top of the back of the box. The octagon shape is much easier to cut in cardboard than a circle, and let me maximize airflow. You can see I first traced the outline of the fan and cut slightly smaller:

IMAGE_526.jpg

TIP: When cutting cardboard, first make a light cut against a straight edge, just to score a line. Then, make a second cut a little deeper. Repeat this process a few times until you go all the way through the material and you'll end up with a nice, smooth cut!

I then mounted a PC-fan to the outside back of the box using some velcro and sealed the edges using duct tape, although, this pic was before the duct tape was added:

IMAGE_528.jpg

TIP: This fan is for exhaust so make sure the fan is blowing the air OUT of the box.

NOTE: When you're using duct tape for actual ducting, it's not considered "jerry rigging"!

Then, I added passive intakes...

I cut a 5/8" slot, 12" across, located 4" up from the bottom of each of the two sides and duct taped some landscape weed block screening (how appropriate! :) ) to the insides.

Here's the inside with the box turned upside down, so you're looking at the bottom in this pic:

IMAGE_532.jpg

Once I dd this to each side, my passive intakes were complete and bug-proof:

IMAGE_533.jpg

IMAGE_534.jpg

Then, it was time to tackle odor control...

I decided to go with this Air Conditioning Odor Control Filter I found for $9 at Homie's:

IMAGE_537.jpg

It's got a filter grate included that you can cut to size along with the filter which has an activated carbon backing for odor control:

IMAGE_540.jpg

So, I first cut the grate into two equal size pieces slightly larger than the fan opening:

IMAGE_543.jpg

I then cut a piece of the filter the same size and made a filter sandwich using some duct tape:

IMAGE_545.jpg

TIP: Don't squeeze/tape the filter sandwich together too tight. You want it loose but snug so it doesn't constrict the fibers and end up restricting airflow.

I then used more duct tape to seal it to the back of the box over the fan opening:

IMAGE_546.jpg

TIP: Make sure the carbon side of the filter is facing the outside of the box and put the fuzzy side of the filter facing inside!

I wanted to make sure the fan had a good seal in both front and back, so plugged the fan in and held a small piece of the weed block screening in front of it and the suction from the fan was enough to hold it to the back of the filter, so it's working! :) :

IMAGE_548.jpg

Here is the completed filter assembly:

IMAGE_547.jpg

And here's the dry box waiting to get loaded and all ready to fire up:

IMAGE_549.jpg

And, the entire box will seal shut (although, the two top side flaps are open in this pic:

IMAGE_530.jpg

One side note is that there is enough filter material left over to replace the existing filter about 10 times!

I'm looking forward to breaking it in within the next two weeks, so I'll let you know how it performs.

I hope this helps others out there!

Happy Harvests!

Ok, what's another word for Thesaurus?.... :) :rofl:

I figured this was such a great build I'd say it here too! :goodjob:

I got some stars for ya my friend.

-dime

:rofl: Old George Carlin! :)

But, since I'm answering questions, another word for "thesaurus" would be "synonym list"! :)

Thanks for the kudos, my friend! :thanks:

Could you go into details about your exhast fan setup. Im looking to run a total of 5 fans in my box, being controlled at 3 different points

1: Upper intake / outtake combo (for light)
2: Lower intake / outtake combo (for res)
3: Ona bucket fan

I bought a universal adapter and spliced it to my fan but with .6A it doesnt seem to be doing much, thanks!

Could you go into details about your exhast fan setup. Im looking to run a total of 5 fans in my box, being controlled at 3 different points

1: Upper intake / outtake combo (for light)
2: Lower intake / outtake combo (for res)
3: Ona bucket fan

I bought a universal adapter and spliced it to my fan but with .6A it doesnt seem to be doing much, thanks!

Sure, JWB, but are you asking about my grow cabinet or the drying box? The drying box is pretty straigh-forward...just a 120mm PC fan in the top back for exhaust and the two slits in the bottom sides for passive intakes.

The first post in my first journal lists the equipment I'm using and describes the ventillation setup there.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Just a tip...try to have your exhaust stronger than your intake to create "negative pressure" in the cab. This will help contain odor.

Sure, JWB, but are you asking about my grow cabinet or the drying box? The drying box is pretty straigh-forward...just a 120mm PC fan in the top back for exhaust and the two slits in the bottom sides for passive intakes.

The first post in my first journal lists the equipment I'm using and describes the ventillation setup there.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Just a tip...try to have your exhaust stronger than your intake to create "negative pressure" in the cab. This will help contain odor.

just lookin to see how you control your fan. going from 120v AC -> 12v DC or what not, thanks!

MR K, Hope you don't mind if I throw an idea in...:)

Hey JWB, if you are running 12VDC fans you can use a PC power supply and run all of them from that. Most powers supplies are good for several hundred watts and will run more fans than you can hook up to it. I was running one 1.9amp (22.8W) and two 120mm fans without even coming close to 50watts on a 400W PS.

I attached the molex connectors from the PC fans right to the connectors on the power supply. For my large fan I just picked up an extra molex adapter from Radio Shack and hooked up the pos and neg fan leads to the red and black wires from the adapter.

To control multiple smaller wattage fans (PC fans) you can just plug them into a fan controller and then plug that into the power supply.

You can find 300w power supplies online for cheap, like $30 bucks.

MR K, Hope you don't mind if I throw an idea in...:)

Hey JWB, if you are running 12VDC fans you can use a PC power supply and run all of them from that. Most powers supplies are good for several hundred watts and will run more fans than you can hook up to it. I was running one 1.9amp (22.8W) and two 120mm fans without even coming close to 50watts on a 400W PS.

I attached the molex connectors from the PC fans right to the connectors on the power supply. For my large fan I just picked up an extra molex adapter from Radio Shack and hooked up the pos and neg fan leads to the red and black wires from the adapter.

To control multiple smaller wattage fans (PC fans) you can just plug them into a fan controller and then plug that into the power supply.

You can find 300w power supplies online for cheap, like $30 bucks.

Heres my fan specs
Fan_Specs.jpg

Ive tried splicing one fan into a .6mA DC plug that I got, seems to work OK, not exactly what I was hoping for. Hopefully with two intakes / two outtakes I'll be fine.

If you use an AC adapter, just make sure it's rated higher than the max draw on the fan. I burned up a few of them before I figured that out.

One thing I just noticed though... That fan has blue LEDs in it correct? I would urge you to get a fan with NO lights if it's anywhere near your plants. That would be OK in veg I suppose, but in 12/12 it would kind of be like a constant light leak.

If you use an AC adapter, just make sure it's rated higher than the max draw on the fan. I burned up a few of them before I figured that out.

One thing I just noticed though... That fan has blue LEDs in it correct? I would urge you to get a fan with NO lights if it's anywhere near your plants. That would be OK in veg I suppose, but in 12/12 it would kind of be like a constant light leak.

already looked into it. the LEDs are easily accessible and I can just snip the leads to them.

The draw of the fans is .16A and my adapter is rated for .66A. So even with two fans to (1) adapter it should be enough. Hell I might even be able to put 3 fans (one intake, one outtake and one for my ONA filter) all on one adapter.

Thanks for the help!!!

already looked into it. the LEDs are easily accessible and I can just snip the leads to them.

The draw of the fans is .16A and my adapter is rated for .66A. So even with two fans to (1) adapter it should be enough. Hell I might even be able to put 3 fans (one intake, one outtake and one for my ONA filter) all on one adapter.

Thanks for the help!!!

Sweet! Sounds like a plan.

Take care my friend.

-dime

Back
Top Bottom