DIY drying box with odor control

DRY BOX UPDATE:

Just wanted to update everyone that the dry box works great BUT...

DO NOT RUN THE FAN FULL TIME!!!

My first round of buds dried much too quickly.

I'm now running the fan four times a day for 15 minutes each time, just to vent out any humidity, and I'm seeing much better results.

The optimal times to run the fan will vary based on your own environmental conditions.

Mr. Krip - I just love the DIY dry box. What was the total investment? This is exactly the kind of stuff that helps us all. My first harvest smelled so much and I didn't know what to do. This time will be different. Thanks for sharing.

This is a great tutorial. :cheer:

I gotta figure out how to +reps, you definately deserve it for this.

Mr. Krip - I just love the DIY dry box. What was the total investment? This is exactly the kind of stuff that helps us all. My first harvest smelled so much and I didn't know what to do. This time will be different. Thanks for sharing.

This is a great tutorial. :cheer:

I gotta figure out how to +reps, you definately deserve it for this.

Thanks, Sqwheels! Glad you like it! I had most of the stuff lying around, but it's all cheap if you need it. Here's a parts list:

(1) U-Haul Grand Wardrobe Box - $11.95
(1) 120mm PC Fan - $10-$15 (I used parts I had on-hand)
(1) Odor Control A/C Filter - $9.00
(1) Dry Net (optional) - $20

Plus maybe $1.50 worth of duct tape, velcro & weed block screening I also had on-hand but could easily be substituted for other items you may have lying around (i.e. a piece of window/door screening instead of the weedblock screening, etc.).

Let me know if you need any help!

FYI...at the bottom of each post, in the left-hand (green) column, there are three small icons. The middle icon gives the poster +reps. :)

Mr.Krip -

I did figure out the +reps thing as soon as I was done with my post to you. I new here, I don't know if you can tell when somebody adds to your reps but I did.

And yes, I do have a bunch of this stuff laying around here. But the idea never occurred to me. Just another reason this site is so unique...the sharing. Great stuff. Thanks again.

very good. nice rigging skills!

Love it! again!:goodjob:

Love it! How did you wire a computer fan?

You can take an old transformer/power supply from any old electric device. I used one from an old DSL router I had laying around.

Cut off the device plug and separate and strip the ends of the two wires.

One will be solid black and the other will be either white, or black with white stripes. The solid black is the negative wire. The other is positive.

Next, clip the power supply plug off the fan wires. On the fan, one wire will be black and the other will be red. Again, the black wire is the negative and the red is positive. If you have a third (yellow) wire, it's for a fan light and not needed.

With the power supply UNPLUGGED, connect the solid black (negative) wires together (one from the fan and one from the power supply) and then connect the other two (positive) together. Then plug in the power supply.

If the fan doesn't work, you most likely have the wires backwards (positives connected to negatives). Wiring backwards will NOT cause the fan to spin in the other direction.

You can also power MULTIPLE fans from a single power supply by connecting all the negatives together, and then connecting all the positives together.

When doing this, you just need to make sure the total amps on the fans do not exceed the rated amps of the power supply.

For example, if you were using a 1.8 amp power supply and your fans were .5 amps, you could run up to three fans from the one power supply.

Thanks for the wonderful info. this sounds very easy but im not 100% on the transformer thing please excuse my ignorance! Do you mean an ac/dc adaptor plug?

Thanks for the wonderful info. this sounds very easy but im not 100% on the transformer thing please excuse my ignorance! Do you mean an ac/dc adaptor plug?

Exactly! An old cell phone charger, or other power cord that has that little (sometimes NOT so little!) box on the plug. If you look on that box, it will tell you the amp rating.

Exactly! An old cell phone charger, or other power cord that has that little (sometimes NOT so little!) box on the plug. If you look on that box, it will tell you the amp rating.

cool beans bro, Thanks again!:thanks:

OK....

Here's the whole "power supply setup":

DSCN09764.JPG

My fan's power cord had the clip-plug, so rather than cut it off entirely from the fan side, I left the clip intact so I could easily remove the power supply from the fan for easy storage of the whole dry box (and taking pictures for you! :) ).

You can also see that one of the fan wires is black and the other red.

If you look close at the transformer, you'll see I stole if from an old Linksys router and it's rated for 1000mA (or 1 amp):

DSCN09773.JPG

Finally, if you look closely at the transformer wires, you'll see one wire (the top one) has a dashed white line. Consider the one WITHOUT the dashed line the solid black (negative) and match the dashed white line wire with the fan's red wire, but again, if you get it wrong, the fan just won't work - you won't blow anything up and the fan won't spin in the wrong direction, so just reverse them:

DSCN09793.JPG

I hope that helps but still happy to answer questions!

i how is with odours, those filters stop them or you cah feel a little bit anyway?

The filter helps, especially when the fan is running, but it's definately odor "control" and NOT odor "elimination".

I have the box in a room with some air fresheners, and the odor isn't really noticeable from outside the room, but once you go in the room, when the box is full of freshly cut buds, you can definately smell it.

For true odor elimination, you would most likely need a carbon scrubber either in the box or in the room the box was in. An ozone generator would also help, but can be dangerous around humans/pets.

The filter helps, especially when the fan is running, but it's definately odor "control" and NOT odor "elimination".

I have the box in a room with some air fresheners, and the odor isn't really noticeable from outside the room, but once you go in the room, when the box is full of freshly cut buds, you can definately smell it.

For true odor elimination, you would most likely need a carbon scrubber either in the box or in the room the box was in. An ozone generator would also help, but can be dangerous around humans/pets.

i had the same filters, they came with fans, but i took them out because of the the air flow wasnt as good as it could be!

Back
Top Bottom