DIY drying box with odor control

More than a year since your original DIY post and yet you are still checking it and answering questions. + Rep for that alone. And the build is awesome. Using it myself with the exact setup and a mesh drying rack w/ a kief catcher. Thanks for the instructions man.

Great idea! I will be harvesting my first grow in about a month. I have been trying to think up how to make one for myself .yours is a AWESOME idea and I'm looking forward to building one soon!

Thanks, Bro's! :thanks:

Awesome thread!
I built a cardboard dry box with a small fan that I've used for awhile now, but the filter element on this takes it to another level!
Definitely going to put this on the to-do list ;) Props, for sure.

I really like this set up and had a few ideas/modifications that might be of interest like using the carbon filter on both intake and outtake so while fans off the odor can't escape. I use model train power pack to control the speed of a PC fan on my telescope it works well in that application and could help control the airflow thru the box without a timer.

I did not read every post but for odor control does the fan have to vent out of the box? I mean could you not take and attach the filter to the fan and run that inside the box taking out the smell but keeping the air in the box until another fan vents it out later? Noob question but I use a store bought air filter machine to clean dust from my room and don't vent that air and it removes pet smells as well. Just a thought.

soylent green if I understand you you would have 2 fans one for venting box, one to circulate air inside the box. if venting fan doesn't have filter you would smell it. cause once air passed thru circulating fan it would pick up odor again as passed buds on way to venting fan. if venting fan and intake vents dont have means of closing the openings the circulating fan could push air out when you didn't want it. a circulating fan inside may cause things to dry too fast too, I don't know.

I did not read every post but for odor control does the fan have to vent out of the box? I mean could you not take and attach the filter to the fan and run that inside the box taking out the smell but keeping the air in the box until another fan vents it out later? Noob question but I use a store bought air filter machine to clean dust from my room and don't vent that air and it removes pet smells as well. Just a thought.

soylent green if I understand you you would have 2 fans one for venting box, one to circulate air inside the box. if venting fan doesn't have filter you would smell it. cause once air passed thru circulating fan it would pick up odor again as passed buds on way to venting fan. if venting fan and intake vents dont have means of closing the openings the circulating fan could push air out when you didn't want it. a circulating fan inside may cause things to dry too fast too, I don't know.

Hippie makes some good points, especially regarding a circulating fan not being able to remove the odor, and the suggestion for a speed controller on the exhaust fan is a great one! :welldone:

Here are a couple of other points to consider:

First is that you do need to exchange the air inside the box with air from outside the box ("fresh" air) to avoid mold & budrot. This is really no different than your grow room/tent. In the growroom, we usually spend hundreds of dollars on an exhaust fan and carbon filter combo, which certainly would work fine for a growbox if you had that kind of space for it and didn't mind spending the extra money. But, it would be way overkill for this project. It's a relatively small box and even a small fan running at very low speed can quickly exchange all of the air in the box, so a powerful fan isn't needed, and in my experience, does dry the buds too quickly (but if you're in an extremely humid environment, maybe this wouldn't be the case).

The only real objectiive for me, other than limiting expenses, was simply making sure the grow remained stealth (i.e. the house didn't reek!) when the air was being exchanged in the box.

If the box itself was otherwise airtight, I personally would just line the vents with filter material and not even run a fan. But, because the box has air leeks other than the vents (the top of the box isn't airtight), the fan is used to create some negative pressure inside the box and basically force the air through the filter so no odor escapes from any of the air leaks.

I hope this helps!
:Namaste:

This sounds really great, Mr. Krip. I wish I could try it but I am not good with electrical stuff, you know the wires and whatnot. As simple as you make it sound, it still seems complicated to me.

This sounds really great, Mr. Krip. I wish I could try it but I am not good with electrical stuff, you know the wires and whatnot. As simple as you make it sound, it still seems complicated to me.

Thanks, Queen! Just in case you missed it, it is VERY simple and I explain in some good detail with pics in these two posts:

Read This Post First

This Post Explains Further With Pics

I'm happy to help you further, if needed - just ask and/or post some pics!
:goodluck:

:thanks: :goodjob: Mr Krip I want to thank you for this cool inexpensive drying box. I built it like you did and then did the small rope back and forth like Icemud. I harvested on Sunday and filled it up. Of course now that I don't have the 1000 watt HPS on it cools down so the garage is in the high 60 to low 70s. Drying nice a slow. Here's the box full.

004_renamed_27042.jpg

:thanks: :goodjob: Mr Krip I want to thank you for this cool inexpensive drying box. I built it like you did and then did the small rope back and forth like Icemud. I harvested on Sunday and filled it up. Of course now that I don't have the 1000 watt HPS on it cools down so the garage is in the high 60 to low 70s. Drying nice a slow. Here's the box full.

004_renamed_27042.jpg

Very nice job, Bro! +REPS!
Looks like it's packed with some nice buds, too! :welldone:

If I were to put this in a closet would the room that the closet is in smell? I dont have a place to dry that is inside since I am living with people who would not approve.

I could make this out of a plastic storage bin or something and set it up somewhere outside I guess.

I had the exact idea to make this box but not for drying mainly for my grow box, and I would line it with mylar and use the metal bar the wardrobe box comes with to hang my light with. I'm only going to be growing a couple plants with this set up, would this box be good for growing as well?

If I were to put this in a closet would the room that the closet is in smell? I dont have a place to dry that is inside since I am living with people who would not approve.

I could make this out of a plastic storage bin or something and set it up somewhere outside I guess.

Sorry for the delayed response on this, but yes, your room would still smell. The filter gives some odor control, but it's NOT odor elimination. You could use some ONA to help mask the smell but you'd probably need to go with a fan/carbon filter combo to prevent the odors entirely.

I had the exact idea to make this box but not for drying mainly for my grow box, and I would line it with mylar and use the metal bar the wardrobe box comes with to hang my light with. I'm only going to be growing a couple plants with this set up, would this box be good for growing as well?

Raiden, although you could probably get away with it in the short term, I would NOT recommend using cardboard as the grow chamber. The heat from the lights (and the water/electric combo) will pose a definate fire hazard and I would imagine the cardboard would quickly become wet due to spills and transpiration, and would start falling apart. Plus, it would be very tough to eliminate all of the light leaks.

For a similar & safer idea, I've seen people grow in a 32 gallon or 55 gallon plastic trash barrel. It's fire proof, water proof, has a lid that will make it totally light-proof, it won't conduct electricity, and it's easy too cut/drill through to create vents or hang accessories, etc.
:goodluck:

Very nice job, Bro! +REPS!
Looks like it's packed with some nice buds, too! :welldone:

Now this is crazy on my part for not getting back at you and saying thank you for the Reps. The box works great and I'm just getting ready to put another crop into it. i have a 16 plant SOG that i think is going to fill her up.

Mr Krip Thanks for sharing your well thought out box .....
One question : you are using the mesh bag inside ....will you have to turn your buds daily ?

I use the same set up; thanks Mr Krip!; and yes, I turn my buds. I turn them at least once a day. I do it more for the appearance of the buds themselves, if you don't turn them they are flat on one side.

Back
Top Bottom