DIY drying box with odor control

Now that's my kinda thinking outside the box!! 4 essentials for survival-Duct Tape, Zip Ties, WD40 and a big hammer. So how does it work, any updates or refinements.

Hey Mr K.... never got around to thanking you for putting up this post!! I used a combo of your idea and another online and it works great... my moving/wardrobe box seems to keep a steady humidity between 40-50% and temps usually stay cooler than the room temp...usually takes about 3-4 days to dry out the buds (crispy outsides, stems near snapping but still moist, green fades to a grey/green look)

For the fan i just had an old desk clip fan that I disassembled, and attached just by setting it in a hole cut in the top of the box...sealed with tape... for the string/hangers, i used some packing/rope/twine that was purchased at the uhaul store with the wardrobe box...

about 20$ to build the closet...

Here are the photos of mine, not to hijack your thread, just to give alternate ideas using the same concept.... This drying idea worked great...thanks!!!

DSC023443.JPG
DSC023412.JPG
DSC023432.JPG
DSC023422.JPG
DSC023403.JPG

I guess it's all good. But totally hijacked the dudes idea.

Call it solidarity...

Whatever happened to Mr. Krip ? I miss his journals.

Update to Mr. Kip's DIY Drying Box....

Duct Tape....

If you've built one of these you'll know...the duct tape won't stay on. Not sure if it's my humidity but the tape falls off within a day.

Soooo....

I made a slight adjustment to the duct tape....packing tape. Packing tape (designed for cardboard) is more tacky and as stated is designed for cardboard.

I also plan on using 2 PC fans and I put the carbon filter on the inside of the intake vents as well.

This is still a great idea thought of by Mr. Kip.

Thanks Mr. Kip where ever you are...LOL.

Pics....

First Round One...

IMG_091719.JPG
IMG_091827.JPG
IMG_091922.JPG
IMG_092020.JPG
IMG_092119.JPG
IMG_092220.JPG
IMG_092317.JPG
IMG_092417.JPG
IMG_092515.JPG
IMG_092618.JPG
IMG_092714.JPG
IMG_092826.JPG
IMG_092924.JPG

Round Two....

IMG_094524.JPG
IMG_094620.JPG
IMG_094721.JPG
IMG_094824.JPG

Hope this helps....

Renegade

Great Job!

I have built a few different dry boxes over the years, and they do work very well. I keep my box in my flower room and the exhaust takes care of the odors, no carbon needed on the dry box. I can easily control the temp and humidity in the flower room, and the light doesn't reach the buds. I put my camera in the box and took time lapse photos, all proved as dark as a miners rear end . I did make a light baffle for the vent holes, but it is probably not really needed. 2 PC fans circulate the air nicely without too much force. After about 10 days or so, the drying is done ... no touching, no turning and no hassles. I don't dry any other way now!

Best Of Buds
JB
:Namaste:

This is an awesome idea and I'm going to make one for myself. I'm going to make it minus the filter and just put it in my flower room. I grow perpetual so I always have a carbon filter running in my flower room so that will take care of the odor. To the people who have built these - or something similar, what is your rh at inside the box? I'm going to put a digital meter built into mine that records highs and lows but what should I expect? I'm aiming for an rh of 50% and do a nice slow dry. I'm wondering if I pack that thing full with like 4 plants if I will have humidity issues? Any input would be appreciated. I have a box of those boveda 62 packets but was planning on using those for the curing.. I could always throw a few in the drying box if need be.

This is an awesome idea and I'm going to make one for myself. I'm going to make it minus the filter and just put it in my flower room. I grow perpetual so I always have a carbon filter running in my flower room so that will take care of the odor. To the people who have built these - or something similar, what is your rh at inside the box? I'm going to put a digital meter built into mine that records highs and lows but what should I expect? I'm aiming for an rh of 50% and do a nice slow dry. I'm wondering if I pack that thing full with like 4 plants if I will have humidity issues? Any input would be appreciated. I have a box of those boveda 62 packets but was planning on using those for the curing.. I could always throw a few in the drying box if need be.

Freezy, You could of course do without the filter if odor isn't a concern but consider this....it also helps keep the little critters out. Not micro critters of course but the ones you can see. I like your idea of putting the "Boveda" packs inside. I put them in the last grow. Did or didn't have to...LOL...but it made me feel good that my RH was where it needed to be.

I would caution on over packing this DIY....you would need some slight air flow.

Just my 2 cents....

image29881.jpg

This is what I made for a drying box last year. As it turns out I put many more holes in it than I needed to. I regulate the speed of the drying by blocking or unblocking the holes on the sides. I also have a larger hole on top of the box which I put a computer fan on top of when I want to quickly get some moisture out.
Inside the box is roughly 14" square by 24" (?) high with room for about six screens/racks. I can fit about three plants worth of harvest in there at most. My plants yield average between 3 and 4 ounces dry weight each. The drying speed varies depending on how much bud is in the box, and how I regulate the venting. I rarely use the fan on top. Usually I have the hole on top blocked off as well. My RH fluctuates a lot but I think on average it's about 60 or 70. I try to get the bud to dry in about a week. I'm away a lot so I always end up erring on the side of caution and drying a little bit faster than I would like to.
The box is in my flowering room, for the same reason as you. That's where the carbon filter is

Renegade, thanks for the input. I will use some kind of screen to keep out dust and critters, and I do still plan on doing an exhaust fan and slits for an intake. I'm going to give bud washing a try so there wouldn't be much of a point if I just got them all dusty after going through the trouble of washing the buds lol didn't really think of that thanks. I'll post some pics when I build it. I'm still like at least 4 to 5 weeks from harvest, maybe more. I'll keep you guys updated when it's done.

Back
Top Bottom