DIY Drying Room

thoughtfulphd

420 Member
I'm within a few weeks of starting my first harvest, and I'm forced to deal with an issue I've seen coming since I first realized the plants weren't going to die. I've got five autos. Based on where they are in the flowering stage, I'm going to be harvesting them separately over a few weeks, so my tent and carbon filter will not be available for drying/stank control, and with kids in the house and friends who don't know what I'm up to, I need to figure something out.

I'm considering getting a cheap 20-30 gallon trash can, cutting small vents in it, setting up drying lines inside to hang buds, cutting a 4 inch hole in one side (toward the bottom), and running a 4 inch vent line with an inline fan into the intake of the tent, so the smell is filtered through the carbon filter in the tent. To me it sounds like a really good idea. I don't see anything anywhere online that considers something like this.

With a fan controller, I should be able to manage the air flow in the trash can so as to not dry the buds too fast (while maintaining negative pressure in the tent), but is there a down side to venting the drying buds into the grow tent while I've got a few flowering plants still finishing up? I could build the dry can w/ the fan, etc. for probably $40-$50, which is doable. I've seen some diy drying boxes made from cardboard, plastic bins, etc., but nothing that vents the drying buds into the grow tent. Any thoughts from more experienced growers?

Sounds like it would be much cheaper and easier plumbing wise to just buy a 2x2x3 tent. Hang all your branches in there. I've dried many times in a 2x2x3 tent. You can hang 10 to 12 lines across the roof from the inside of the tent and have that thing plumb full of branches hanging. Then it has all of the holes required so you can Plumb your air in and out of it. That size 10 will handle a surprising amount of weed! I have had more than a pound dry hanging in a tent that size. They are very cheap to buy.

I would find another way. What you're suggesting would bring constant air in, and quick dry your buds. The longer it takes to dry/cure your buds, the smoother and tastier they will be. I would consider the box but no air intake or exhaust, and just leave it in the room w/your tent...

I'm within a few weeks of starting my first harvest, and I'm forced to deal with an issue I've seen coming since I first realized the plants weren't going to die. I've got five autos. Based on where they are in the flowering stage, I'm going to be harvesting them separately over a few weeks, so my tent and carbon filter will not be available for drying/stank control, and with kids in the house and friends who don't know what I'm up to, I need to figure something out.

I'm considering getting a cheap 20-30 gallon trash can, cutting small vents in it, setting up drying lines inside to hang buds, cutting a 4 inch hole in one side (toward the bottom), and running a 4 inch vent line with an inline fan into the intake of the tent, so the smell is filtered through the carbon filter in the tent. To me it sounds like a really good idea. I don't see anything anywhere online that considers something like this.

With a fan controller, I should be able to manage the air flow in the trash can so as to not dry the buds too fast (while maintaining negative pressure in the tent), but is there a down side to venting the drying buds into the grow tent while I've got a few flowering plants still finishing up? I could build the dry can w/ the fan, etc. for probably $40-$50, which is doable. I've seen some diy drying boxes made from cardboard, plastic bins, etc., but nothing that vents the drying buds into the grow tent. Any thoughts from more experienced growers?

Sounds like it would be much cheaper and easier plumbing wise to just buy a 2x2x3 tent. Hang all your branches in there. I've dried many times in a 2x2x3 tent. You can hang 10 to 12 lines across the roof from the inside of the tent and have that thing plumb full of branches hanging. Then it has all of the holes required so you can Plumb your air in and out of it. That size 10 will handle a surprising amount of weed! I have had more than a pound dry hanging in a tent that size. They are very cheap to buy.
I use a place and they have this...That would actually be nice, I got a 1000w HPS kit for 165 all said and done...:goodluck:

tent.JPG

EDIT: I removed some stuff cuz I don't think they are sponsors and not sure if I'm allowed to do that :hmmmm:

If I interpret your idea correctly yes that should work ok. As @fanleaf said though a small tent makes the task a little easier. The key is keeping the airflow on the buds low. A slower dry is more preferable as mentioned. Basically you want to take out as little air as is required to maintain your desired humidity level.

I use a place called growace.com and they have this...That would actually be nice, also the yield lab line is pretty good, got a 1000w HPS kit for 165 all said and done...:goodluck:

tent.JPG
Nice that's a slick little tent. I had not seen that one before.

I will tell you positively not to spare any expense if you don't want to be detected .
I had a tiny tent, 80% closed , in a 15 degree workshop with an Ozonator and my neighbourhood still had zero doubts about what I was up to .
I bought a second carbon filter and fan for next harvest ..hopefully this , in addition to the Ozonator and frequent venting will prevent any permanent smells

Look in the diy section somebody made one out of a cardboard wardrobe boxes from (u rent and haul) with a computer fan still had to put it on a timer cause even that small of a fan dryed to quickly I'm finding humidity is more important than temps

I won't be adding any fans to mine, not unless I build a wooden one with both a fan and humidifier to try and control everything. Was thinking of just a rigged up box, with only the gap in between flaps to allow air flow. Then open it up every night or so, maybe every other night if its looking good.

Here's what I came up with. The negative pressure in the tent pulls just enough air through the box to filter the smell through the filter in the tent. I drilled a few holes in the lid to allow for air flow. Seems to be working so far. I've got a humidity monitor in the box. It's about 60F and 50%RH throughout the day. Probably could have gone with a smaller box (30gal), but it's doing the job.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_13ff.jpg

Here's what I came up with. The negative pressure in the tent pulls just enough air through the box to filter the smell through the filter in the tent. I drilled a few holes in the lid to allow for air flow. Seems to be working so far. I've got a humidity monitor in the box. It's about 60F and 50%RH throughout the day. Probably could have gone with a smaller box (30gal), but it's doing the job.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_13ff.jpg

That is certainly an option I have thought about. Are those readings on the empty box, or is your harvest already inside?

I think I will try the cardboard box on top by itself, and if its too humid and warm, then I will just put some dryer hose into the tents top exhaust port.

Back
Top Bottom