DIY DWC Cloning Tutorial - Easy Cloning

Urdedpal

Hello fello members. I am Urdedpal and I would like to have some of your time. I would like to show you one of the easiest methods of cloning that I have come across. DIY (Do it yourself) means I made this cloner and I want to show people how to make one themselves. DWC (Deep water culture) is a simple form/method of hydroponics. Now don't get scared because I said hydroponics, you will be amazed at how easy it is and you can still use the clones in dirt/soil for vegging and flowering.

DSC00001_edited-1.jpg

This tutorial will show people how to make a DWC cloner, will tell you how to collect clones, and how to use the cloner. So smoke a bowl or two and read on if your interested.

533.jpg

Here's a list of things you will need. Alot of this stuff you might already have around the house. If not you can purchase these items easier at a store like walmart.
1. container with lid (I am using a 28qt/27liter storage container you can go larger or smaller)
2. cheap holesaw kit (I have a black and decker version from walmart)
3. drill
4. razor blade
5. ductape
6. airpump (size depends on how many airstones connected)
7. airpump tubing
8. airstones or bubblewand (How many depends on how big your container is)
9. multi airtubing connector or T fittings if you are using more than one airstone
10. Silicone sealent (same type used for aquarium repair)
11. Styrofoam between a 1/4 to a 1/2 inch thickness (Can be found easily in the insulation department at a hardware store like Lowes or home depot or you can use a cheap styrofoam cooler)
12. spraypaint or primer

Step 1. Take a bowl and fill it with weed. Now smoke half the bowl of weed. (NOTE:You lightweights might wanna skip that part until after the project is completed)Using a hole saw 1 and 1/4-32mm bit and a drill cut holes into your lid. The amount of holes depend on how many clippings you need to grow into clones. You might want to use a ruler and pencil to evenly space out your holes. I went with forty holes. Holes can be close or far apart its more a matter of choice. Also cut smaller holes for the air tubing, you can do this by using just the drill bit portion of the hole saw kit and reaming it out with a razorblade until its big enough for the tubing to go through.

031.JPG

Step 2. Using a razorblade ream out the holes on both sides of the lid to remove plastic fuzz then wipe or rinse fuzz off of lid. Make sure you clean it up good and make sure its dry cause now we are gonna paint it. When you paint it please do this outside. Instead of spraypaint I use primer cause it sticks better to plastic. Spray only the exterior of the lid and the container. You will have to put on at least 3 coats of paint. You want to make the container light resistant or light proof. (Note: You can sand the plastic on the container to form a better bond but that sounds like too much work to me. I just add another coat when it gets scratched or flakes off) While its drying, this is a good time to smoke another bowl or 2.

0321.JPG

Step 3. (Sometime when you are waiting for the container to dry or while your high but not stoned) grab your drill and a 1 and 1/2in-38mm holesaw bit and cut holes into your styrofoam.

033.JPG

I think its makes the job easier to cut the holes into the styrofoam on top of a cardboard box. Your gonna have to take apart the holesaw bit after every hole you make. The insert gets stuck in it everytime.

038.JPG

Its the holes you want to keep. These will be the inserts that you will be using to fill in the holes in the lid. Gently clean under running water and rub loose foam from inserts.

039.JPG

Step 4. After container is dry and I hope you painted only on the outside of the container, in a pattern that will evenly distribute the bubbles glue the airstones or bubble wand to the bottom of the container with the silicon sealant and let dry.

040.JPG

Now all you have to do is connect your tubing and put the lid on. After lid is secure use ductape and tape along the outer edge of the lid to the container. The tape is to prevent water from dripping out of the cloner. Now you have a genuine DIY DWC URD Power cloner LOL.
Now how do you use this thing we made? You gonna have to tune in tomorrow. Its getting late and I have seeds to sow.
TO BE CONTINUED. Sorry.

Before you put the lid on you might want to fill it with water to test the airiation or bubbling. In this pic the 2 larger air stones are new and work well but the smaller airstone at the lower right is used and older so its not as effective. The top right of the pic I removed the smaller airstone. The reason why I have this setup like this is to show you how the roots develop under different bubbling conditions. All areas of the cloner will still root clippings but some areas will root faster.

DSC00001_edited-15.jpg

We will come back to this portion later so install and tape your lid in place. Fill it with a water nutrient mix till your about a 1/2 inch from the lid. What to use for nutrients? Which ever fertilizers that you prefer that has instructions or a chart for clippings. This can be miriclegro, schultz, foxfarm, Olivia's clone solution or whatever. I am using general hydroponics tripack. I just follow the instructions for the fertilizer for clippings and clones but I use only HALF STRENGH solution. The nutrients are mostly to help the clippings from turning a pale light green and keeps the clones leaves looking healthy. You do not have to use nutes at this time but I find that it really helps. I also set my ph just below 6.0 although the first few times I use this cloner I didn't even bother checking the ph. Having your ph set between 5.7 and 6.3 will help speed up the rooting process but your clippings will root with unadjusted tap water as well.
After you fill container with water to about a 1/2 inch from the lid, turn your airpump on and use the styrofoam inserts to fill in the holes of your lid. Now your ready to take clippings. Next portion will give info on taking clippings and preparing them for cloning/rooting.

I like your stoneware pipe. The glaze is a nice color, and it looks like it would sit in the hand very comfortably. The cloner is simple and looks effective as well. Thanks for putting this together 'pal!

Wow, I was about to pull the trigger on buying a clone set up. I am certainly gonna give this a go instead. Thanks Pal, this is at least one person your post helped out.

nice post Urdedpal....i cant see why people buy pre-fab'd system's when you can DIY for next to nothing....yesterday i put two 2 plant drip system's together for $40....and $20 out of that $40 was for pump's.....half the fun is build'n if you ask me

Hey Urdedpal... great work! I'm experimenting with this as we speak... don't need any clones at the moment but wanna be prepared.
So when you gonna finish this lil' thread up? I've read other similiar articles and thus far yours seems to take the taco so to speak lol....
Thanks.....

Well I built a single cloner out of a folgers can, lol... seriously. Took ten days for roots to show... and they are taking off like crazy. Def found my method for future cloning adventures. Thanks again Urdedpal:peace:

hey i had a quick question...i've built the same bubbler and it works terrific my question to you is can i plant the rooted cutting in soil? im using styrofoam for inserts which i remove once the cutting has rooted which basically leaves me with a non-supported cutting. so do i just lay the roots in the spot where i plan on putting the cutting and pile the soil o till the stem is sturdy? i jus wanted to be sure that i can place the unsupported (when i say unsupported i mean there is nothing that supports the cutting except the strofoam insert which definitely doesnt get planted) roots in the soil! help....

hey i had a quick question...i've built the same bubbler and it works terrific my question to you is can i plant the rooted cutting in soil? im using styrofoam for inserts which i remove once the cutting has rooted which basically leaves me with a non-supported cutting. so do i just lay the roots in the spot where i plan on putting the cutting and pile the soil o till the stem is sturdy? i jus wanted to be sure that i can place the unsupported (when i say unsupported i mean there is nothing that supports the cutting except the strofoam insert which definitely doesnt get planted) roots in the soil! help....

Hey khacky, to answer your question.... Yes.

I built my own bubbler as well... though I use neoprene inserts now, I've used styrofoam too. The only problem with this is that your actually developing water roots, which while perfect for going straight to hydro... isn't so great for going to soil. You just have to expect an extra week for them to get it together compared to more soil friendly cloning methods i.e. rockwool.

I just loosely put soil over the roots and then when it's covered I start gently tamping it down... careful not to get to crazy and damage fragile roots, just pack down enough for the clone to be able to support itself. If need be I've even planted them extra deep for the added support:yummy:

Hope this helps.....

i was wondering if you could utilize a 10x larger water reserve and instead of a couple of dozen little holes make 2 or 3 bigger ones and let the plants mature fully in this contraption and if so how much airaition would be needed? also will willow water mix stimulate extra growth if added to ferts?

id be interested to see the clones based upon the air bubblers, i have only one in my cloner and im thinking that i need way more than what i have!

Well fellas why go through all that trouble..I broke a stem off one of the girls and stuck it in my pocket while I was supercroping..anyway once inside I remembered the stem..I stuck it in my 60 gal.fish tank..and forgot about it..anyway days later as I was feeding the fish..I noticed the stem had recovered..and was rooting..yeah..easy man.....and I wasn't even tryin'.....

:allgood:
Well fellas why go through all that trouble..I broke a stem off one of the girls and stuck it in my pocket while I was supercroping..anyway once inside I remembered the stem..I stuck it in my 60 gal.fish tank..and forgot about it..anyway days later as I was feeding the fish..I noticed the stem had recovered..and was rooting..yeah..easy man.....and I wasn't even tryin'.....

when you put clone into the styrofoam is the bit thats going to root meant to be in the water anyone know were he finishes of this post

Back
Top Bottom