DIY Grow Tent 4x4x4

GIjose

Being retired Army everything exrtra curricular is done on a tight budget. For my first grow instead of spending money on a grow tent I decided to create my own. Its Dimensions were 4x4x4. Once I completed this I realized did I needed a bigger space for what I was planning to grow. The pictures will illustrate the initial build.
Items I used: for the first build
16'x20' heavy duty tarp
7 ft. Clear Tarp Zipper Door
3/4"x10' pvc pipe 5ct.
3/4" pvc coupling 1ct
3/4" pvc Tee 2ct
3/4" pvc 3 way elbow 8ct
Gorilla tape

20190403_112657.jpg

I first started by making my cuts on my pvc pipe, making sure I'm leaving 2 in extra on each cut to compensate for the distance in the fittings.

20190403_113905_HDR.jpg

I did a test fit and it seemed to come together very nicely.

20190403_115235.jpg

I did notice that I had no support in the center so I made a tee intersection so I can hang my light source.

20190403_133245_HDR.jpg

Now that the frame was assembled I started to wrap the tarp securing one side with paracord across the top and bottom.

20190403_141903_HDR.jpg

I proceeded to wrap it like a present securing net with paracord towards the rear of the grow tent. So when I install the zipper I don't have to worry about cutting the secured lines.

20190403_145637.jpg

In the front of the grow tent I installed the clear zipper door which was pretty easy, it was just a roll of tape with a zipper embedded in it. Once you roll it out you can make an incision to where the door would be. I had planned on making exhaust ports above and below opposite of eachother.
This would work great for closet grow when your limited on space. Unfortunately for me having to be hunched over to take care of my girls did not work out for me. So I went ahead and upgraded my tent. I'll create a separate DIY entry and Link it here just in case. Hope this is useful information for someone!

This is a continuation of the DIY grow tent 4 x 4 x 4. When I completed 4 x 4 x 4 tent I realized I needed more space so I decided to upgrade it. It stands down 7 x 4 x 7
Items I carried over from the initial build
Items I used: for the first build
16'x20' heavy duty tarp
7 ft. Clear Tarp Zipper Door
3/4"x10' pvc pipe 5ct.
3/4" pvc coupling 1ct
3/4" pvc Tee 2ct
3/4" pvc 3 way elbow 8ct
Gorilla tape
20190403_141903_HDR.jpg

new items I had to buy
16'x20' heavy duty tarp
3/4"x10' pvc pipe 5ct.
3/4" pvc coupling 4ct
3/4" pvc Tee 2ct
3/4" pvc 4 way 4ct
Gorilla tape

Message_1555185967134.jpg

So I disassembled my original tent. where you see the couplings on the outer poles was the original frame. What you can't see in this pic was stabilization polls in the middle area of the the base and the top in the center area.
20190403_133245_HDR.jpg

So this is an image from my initial build, unfortunately I did not take a picture of me wrapping my upgraded tent. It is secured with paracord inside on the forefoot Wallside.

20191126_124005.jpg

You can see the cordage cross the short wall
20191126_124016.jpg

Not so much on this pic but they are there. I used to tarps total to wrap it. When I secured with paracord I made sure I did that on the 4 ft sections so I can make my entrance without having to worry about the the cordage getting in the way of the entrance. The zipper entrance is very easy to do it is basically a length of heavy duty tape with a zipper embedded in it. all you have to do is roll out the zipper stick it on the tarp and then make your incision underneath the zipper. Fortunately this zipper setup is the same one I used from my previous build the position of it fit perfectly where I needed it on this build.
20190413_154531.jpg

the last thing I did was Secure any areas where the tarp had gaps with Gorilla Tape. Be careful cuz this stuff is super sticky. Hope you enjoy, and can use the info I provided. Please let me know if you have any questions on my project.

Attachments

• 20191126_124024.jpg
    20191126_124024.jpg
    509.9 KB · Views: 118
Thanks, I was really struggling to figure out how I can secure this without having to compromise the tarp. Once I figured out how to secure one side with the cordage it just hit me to wrap it like a present LOL

Hey GIjose,
Tents arent soo expensive anymore.
One like what you made but you will need it 6-8ft tall. 4' x 4' is a good area, you just need more overhead height do you dont fry your plants.
Bought tents are also reflective internally.
If you want low budget, get a big cupboard and paint it white inside, also a good low cost option.

Thanks for the info, I made these a while ago. Yes they're a lot cheaper nowadays then when I made it.:D unfortunately we move a lot due to the military reassigning us every few years. This would be easier for me to break down and take with me.

Ive used the grey tarps , and i bought 100 foot of panda film for $29 to build my 10x10x10 . Or reflectix at lowes .

Awesome bro . I also did this . I made 2 tents for less than $50 . One 5x5x5 one 10x10x10 . Pvc and panda film and the shiny duck tape . Yes its called duck tape , i know its duct .

Back
Top Bottom