DIY Hood 70 watt HPS and MH

Excited2start

Alright so I have been wanting to find tutorial on how to make a simple cheap reflector for 70 watt HIDS. So I chose do to one myself. So this cost me about 20 bucks to make, but most of the stuff I already had. Just had to buy a few things.

So this is a photo of the equipment needed to build these hoods.
DSCN4950.JPG

This is only the stuff for one reflector, but they both are the same minus the ballast they plug into.
So in the photo we have
1 x galvanized duct pipe 3'' x 24''
1 x pair mini bolt cutter
1 x metal shears
4 x 6 inch 2x3 wood pieces
2 x HID sockets medium base
2 x 16 gauge three prong extension cord
4 x I bolts
4 x electrical cords covers
1 x power drill
1 x 2 inch hole saw
1 x box assorted drill bits
1 x tape measure
4 x screws from old skate board hardware.
1 x box 1/2 inch screws
There are a few other things I forgot to put in the picture.
1 x 2 inch paddle saw. It looks like a paddle with a spike and drills hollow holes. I used this to clear the left over in the middle from the hole saw.
also 1 x phillips head screw driver
and 1 x Pair of pliers
and 1 x spare block of wood. 2x3

Ok so we are going to start with the wood. We are going to take the drill and drill until you are about 1/4 inch or a little more from going through the wood.
I went on the side of the wood. here is a pic of how it looks.

DSCN4957.JPG

This is where we are going to put our socket. as you can see there are three oles with in the bigger hole. The one in the center is for the wires while the two on the side are to help secure the socket in place.

To do that take the screws from a skateboard. Now take your bolt cutter and cut the heads of the screws into a square shape so that they easily fall into the square holes in the bottom of the socket. This is how the screws look after they are cut.

DSCN4956.JPG

As you can see the sides are straight now instead of rounded. once you have cut them straight you can now place them in the socket and take a screw driver and push them to the bottom. Once you have them in the bottom they should look like this.

DSCN4958.JPG

Now stick the socket and screws into the piece of wood. Carefully pull the wire through first then insert the screws in to the pre-drilled holes made for them. Once through the holes screw on the nuts that come with the hardware from the skateboard, and tighten until you cannot tighten anymore with the pliers. When done it should look like this.

DSCN4960.JPG

Now grab your ducting pipe and put the piece of wood with the socket all the way to the end with out the crimps in it. Take your drill and screw the sides of the duct to the piece of wood, now take another piece of wood and screw it in to the duct as well. You want to measure about 12 inches from the out side of the block with the socket to the outside of the block with out the socket before you screw the piece in place. This is how it looks after you have screwed the pieces of wood in place.

DSCN4962.JPG

After you have done that take your spare block of wood and place it between the hood and either block of wood. now depending on the size of the I bolts you have depends on the drill bit you use to drill the holes. For me I had 3 1/4 inch and a 1/2 inch I bolt. So i drilled 1 hole on each side of the hood. The 1/4 bolts I cut with the bolt cutter to help secure them and shorten the bolt.
here is how it looks
DSCN4966.JPG

OK guys that is it for now. Tomorrow i will be adding how to wire them and what I used to hang them in the box. Thanx for stopping to read this.

Umm

IMO....

...That wood around the bulb base is a "sure fire" way to BURN your house down.

I do understand this is only a 70 watts fixture, but never the less, you should never use "wood" in the construction of a light hood. You are only asking for trouble if you do.

I won't even mount a ballast directly to a wood service or anything else combustibility for that matter.

Then again maybe the smell of "burning wood" might hide the "Skunk" smell.. hehe

Well this isn't the first one I have made before. this is just the final design for the ones I made. They do not get that hot at all. I can put my hand on the socket. Hell my last grow i used a different version of what I have now with now problems did even get hot. and i would have to disagree with you on never using wood. Wood varies by speieces and can withstand temperatures up to 662 degrees before combustion would even take place. I know for a fact that these do not even get close to that range. but thanx for the concerns. I suggest you try it before you form an opinion on if it works or not.

If anyone need help just ask I will be glad to help any way possible.

I would never try such a thing in my house. Safety always comes first when dealing with electricity and the possibility of fire.

I have seen a 40 watt cfl start a fire.

You don't see any "Wood" in the professional light hoods and for good reason, they would never get a UL rating.

I am just trying to keep everyone safe, that's all.. I don't mean to dis your design. Someone might get the idea to turn your plans into a 600 watt HPS.

A metal 2x4 or bent sheet metal instead of wood would fix the safety issue.

notice how his only post were to criticize the project? Besides it even says that this is for 70 watt lights.

But here is a disclaimer for anyone thinking anything higher would be a good idea.

this is not intended to be used with lights higher than 70 watts. If you choose to do so you are doing so at your own risk. you also accept all responsibility for the outcome that may happen with using lights in excess of 70 watts.

Umm

IMO....

...That wood around the bulb base is a "sure fire" way to BURN your house down.

I do understand this is only a 70 watts fixture, but never the less, you should never use "wood" in the construction of a light hood. You are only asking for trouble if you do.

I won't even mount a ballast directly to a wood service or anything else combustibility for that matter.

Then again maybe the smell of "burning wood" might hide the "Skunk" smell.. hehe
He could always bend the left over metal from the duct he used around the wood

Why doesn't someone suggest a mail box? Anyway I just did. The bulb socket can be placed on 1 end or take the end where the mail go's into off and add it to the end where you want the socket for more support?? Alot cheaper too.
:peace:

No i did a whole flower and veg cycle using 70 watt hps and 70 mh. it is for a small personal grow nothing more. Not looking to grow tons of plants at once. Looking to do 1 or 2 plants at a time. I am happy with the results i have gotten from doing it. one day when i have more room and money i may upgrade but only time will tell with that.

oh ok only small grows thats good to know. when I finish my first grow here in a couple of weeks if it turn out good(cant see it not thank to 420) I may just have to move things inside and I just happen to have a 70w HPS light sitting in on a self

Back
Top Bottom