DIY LED Grow Box - First time grower

Masterspud

Hi,

I am building an LED grow box. I've done a bunch of research and reading but I wanted to see what experienced growers thought of my plans.

-I'll be using the shell of an old AV rack. It doesn't' have a front or back but I Will cover the back with 1/2" plywood and the front with cabinet doors.

-Initially I want to start with clones so I will be focusing on the flowering chamber. I want to put in a shelf to leave room for a small CFL lit veg chamber that will be added later on. I will make sure there is a vent between the two chambers.

-Next I will cut passive intake and outtake holes. I will have two 6" intakes and one 6" outtake.

-I'll add a 6" duct fan which has 240 CFM and a duct fan speed adjuster. The box is roughly 21 cubic feet. I will lose up to 30% CFM from the 6" carbon filter. I will also build a light trap for my passive intake which would also lower CFM. I could lose up to 66%(160) CFM and still have an air refresh rate of 4/minute. Removed air will be pumped outside.

I could also put one of the intakes in the flower box portion of the case. I'd run a small duct from the veg chamber, combine it with the flower chamber exhaust and pump it out of the box and into the carbon filter.

To save some cash i will buy a cheap 20"x20" air filter, cut it to fit the intake holes, and cover with pantyhose.

-For my light I will use a ViparSpectra Reflector 300W

-I will also get a humidity and temp reader. For a timer I already own a an IP Watt box that has two controllable power outlets and one always on outlet.

Here are some drawing I made in sketch up and a picture of the actual rack.

Any and all suggestions/advice is welcome. Thanks!

Box_with_exhaust_fan.png

Box_with_exhaust.png

Box_with_shelf.png

Empty_Box.png

IMG_122733.JPG

Mostly_done.png

I would skip the ViparSpectra and get you a Mars Hydro unit. Can be had for less and I have seen people use Mars, and they have been around a while. A warranty isn't any good if the company is no longer around.

Back
Top Bottom