DIY: Making Fabric Pots Rigid

415friendly

Well, not quite. Biggest problem I've found with the fabric pots is that you can't drill holes in the lip for training your plants.

I had some 1/4" soaker hose lying around, and decided to try and make a frame for the pot, to help maintain shape and have something to tie down to. It seems pretty good so far, so I'm going to go put it on my plants.

Step 1:
Fold the pot so that it is flat. Measure the width right across the top. This is half of your circumference. Double it, and cut a length of 1/4" tubing to this measurement.
My 2 gallon pots measured 11.5 inches across, so I cut a 23" section of tubing and joined the ends with a T connector (all I had available) to make a circle.

Step 2:
Insert into your pot, add some plastic ties (I used pipe cleaners) and now you have something to tie your plants down to or to tie your plant restraints down to. I used some clothes pins to hold the tubing in position, but I thought about using some of those metal office paper clips so they don't stick up so much. I had lots of clothes pins lying around, though.

Back
Top Bottom