DIY Microscope! Pics & Results - Literally Free

4msterdam

Introduction
Okay, its not going to be one of those two scoped microscopes that let you look into the belly of a viron, or into the kush a mushroom is growing.

Basic Microscope.
Lets you view your buds to see if she's ready, [as you wait for your (cheapest) alternative?Y/N]
If you are someone like me, who likes to try the budget method (good to know as a backup) then read on!

Requirements
1. Any Solo cup/ (I used a thermocol cup)
2. Sharp paper knife
3. Scissors
4. Pencil/pen for marking your incisions (if you require to :p)
5. Some clear plastic. (I recycled some packaging material)
6. Glycerine/Oil/Even water (Highly refractive fluid that is resistant to vibrations; I used olive oil in this project)
7. Some bud growing to test the microscope

Method​
1. Cut around the base of the cup. This is where your "viewfinder" will be. Try to get it as smooth as possible. This is why i used thermocol, to prevent personal trauma.
IMG_240718.JPG

IMG_240824.JPG

2. Mark an area to make a slit. You should run a slide (see next step) through this.
IMG_241121.JPG

3. Make it on the other side. Same dimensions.
IMG_241420.JPG

4. Mark and cut out a "slide".
IMG_241631.JPG

IMG_241929.JPG

5. Run it through the "slits" made at step 2.
IMG_242020.JPG

6. Cut the base to make it short. The shorter the better.
IMG_242223.JPG

7. [OPTIONAL] I cut out 2 triangles. I did this to make a sort of "diffraction" microscope. To see the trichs light up from an angle to check the color in detail.
IMG_242516.JPG

8. Put a drop of olive-oil*on it. (Any highly refractive fluid. Other better options : Glycerine, Clear oil, Water!)
Make it as round, and small as possible that is viewable.
Then test it and see if it works out as a makeshift lens.
IMG_242320.JPG

Results/How to use​
1. Check if the drop is round. The rounder the better.
2. Go grab your bud. Put it over the bud, and view! As simple as that. As any DIY-er, please practice? The drop is probably fine, try to relax the eye and view. It should pop into focus. adjust your eye distance, and the plant-lens distance till the right distance clicks.

I used my cheap phone camera to capture some images from this olive oil magnified image because I could not balance my camera and my plant plus the microscope.... SO OBVIOUSLY trichome pics are not the best quality, but however i wanted to demonstrate the capabilities of this apparatus. On the human eye its much better.
IMG_242621.JPG

20161017_170715.jpg

20161017_172102.jpg

20161017_172113.jpg

20161017_172123.jpg

20161017_172214.jpg

Needless to say, I chopped a tree, dried a bud, and this microscope did not fail me!
Have you made one? Comments?

Please check out my first indoor OG Kush budget grow. (10-12$ lights+fan, and a recycled carton DIY)

I wonder if reducing the top cutout to the size of a pinhole would make the image even clearer (to the Mark I Eyeball, Human) like it does with a pinhole magnifier? I'll have to make both versions around harvest time, if I remember.

Back
Top Bottom