DIY Odor Control Bucket

Re: Roseman's DIY Odor Control Bucket

I love the setup. I just registered to add my input.

I needed a smaller one, and I found that the plastic from a cd spindle (100 cds) and a 4" fan from target works perfectly. The fans are like 5 bucks each. I used a soldering iron to create the holes easily.

I'm not using it for a grow, yet, but I wanted to experiment with the contraption to see the results before it came time. This small bucket completely neutralized a room that smelled like cat ass from 2 stink ass cats. I love it, and i'll definitely be making more of these for any odor control, grow-related or not.

I made on of these a while back. Very simple and does the trick. Just wanted to say thanks! Also I made the mistake of dumping the ONA out of the container to get a little more intense smell. It was more intese but it lasted for about 2 hours and then just evaporated. I wont do that again.

Anyone ever notice the buds absorbing any of the smell of the ona after it being around in the grow area? Or any sort of flavor being imparted?

I don't use mine in the grow room, but in the room outside it so I couldn't say. However, a few other growers I know have used it in the grow room with no ill effects.

Thanks Green007. I have been asking this question around and it is weird, seems that most people put it outside their room. However, like you, they then know people that use it inside and report no issues. Cant seem to find any first hand accounts. I did some googling, and it seems like it is a pretty mixed bag. Some people swear that it does affect the taste/smell, and others say it doesnt. I suppose the only way I will know for sure is if I try it. I am just chicken. :)

Excellent post, I am very budgeted on what I can spend and have gone the route of cfls, only had 1 of them to start out with, a 13w 2700k and some bad soil mix which almost killed the whole crop, I have added more 26w 6500k to the bunch and a 26w 5000k and some FF ocean and forest potting soil which has brought them all bad from the dead, this is definitely a poor-mans grow right now.
One of my biggest concerns is making my medical grow completely orderless, as one of my neighbors would love nothing more then to see someone knocking down my door in the middle of the night. (which I want to avoid even though I am 100% LEGAL in my state)
A carbon filter will be in the future someday, but for now this DIY ONA air dispenser seems to be my ticket to keeping the smell down, Thank You so much for the share and the wisdom.
In the future I'm hoping to be able to run venting out through my chimney as my grow will be set up in my basement, also hoping to build two cabinets, 1 for vegging and 1 for flowering. ( right now I have cardboard wrapped around the top of a bad waterheater with aluminum foil dull side out set up as the veg staging area.) :bigblush:

I was goofing around today and made this.
I used a 3 gallon air pot with two screens, one at the bottom to hold a ona gel and one at the top to hold the fan.
Does the fan point up or down?
Is the ona gel good in the jar or would it be better to scoop it out and put it in a breathable pouch or pillow?
Thx! :peace:

IMG_00709.JPG

IMG_00717.JPG

I have my fan blowing down into the bucket. (That would be interesting to try it the other way - when I get more ona I'll have to try it) I put a couple of inches of water in the bucket (2"-3") and add ona to it. The gel seems to evaporate quickly by itself. For stronger odors, use more gel and/or less water. The dispensers you can purchase can attach directly to the top of the gallon containers. My best guess is that it provides better odor control, but uses ona faster. You need to experiment a little to find the right mix for your personal needs.

I have my fan blowing down into the bucket. (That would be interesting to try it the other way - when I get more ona I'll have to try it) I put a couple of inches of water in the bucket (2"-3") and add ona to it. The gel seems to evaporate quickly by itself. For stronger odors, use more gel and/or less water. The dispensers you can purchase can attach directly to the top of the gallon containers. My best guess is that it provides better odor control, but uses ona faster. You need to experiment a little to find the right mix for your personal needs.

Here's what I'm thinking for my grow. i've never used ona gel so I dont know how feasible this is.
Basically I do a pretty good job on odor control with the exaust and a timed mister but the two weeks before a harvest it reaks throughout my house.
I'm thinking of using it outside the grow room like you. Say behind the couch or something. I was wondering if it would dominate odor if the fan was turned out and I packed the ona in a panty hose or sock and pulled air over the sock to overwhelm my house with the ona scent. I would only need to run it for about three weeks every nine weeks so I guess i would burn thru some gel but I can also get in bulk to save $

Sounds like a good idea to me. I'm not sure about this but it seems to me it may not matter which way the fan blows as long as the ona is being despersed into the room. The gel may not stay in the panty hose since it is semi liquid. The ona site has a suggestion of just putting some holes in the lid for dispersal, but the fan really helps with that in my opinion. My fan is pretty loud when on high BTW. What if you just put the open jar in your bucket and let the fan pull air off of it since you are using the air pots???

I can tell you for certain that the more ona and less or no water works better for strong odor. The water just helps it last longer in my experience. And since I only use it occasionally (basically just when I'm smoking) I like the water with gel in it to get more bang for my buck. I did notice that the ona does seem to have a shelf life after opened. 1 quart lasted me 3 months with my diluted occasional use method and the last month it was not as effective. When my next grow goes into flower, I may get a 1 gallon jug and just remove the lid and put a new DIY fan lid on it. Turning it on just when I'm home but leaving the lid open 24/7. I expect it will do a better job but evaporate faster.

:peace: brother

Agent Green :smokin:

How would this work with an exhaust fan though pumping the old air out? I mean wouldn't the exhaust fan suck all the air that is supposed to be sucked up by the fan in the bucket?

I've saw a guy rig up his exhaust so the fan outside the cabinet sucked the air out thru the ona jar that was fastened to the end of his duct. Worked OK for him.

More than 1 way to skin a cat.

Not that I'm saying you should go skin a cat, so don't be calling PETA on me. :)

I wish someone would. It is really difficult (and senseless) for me to compare, having not used both. I have read up on ONA and it doesn't MASK the bad odor, it really does neutralize it.

I have heard good reports on Febreeze and Blue Pine Sol sucessfully masking or covering the smell with a pleasant stronger smell..

i have used both.........i figured i woud go the cheap way and go with natural magic...i got it from loews, for like 7 bucks a qrt...and it doesnt last as long as ona...it works really well for the first week then it hardens n doesnt wrk...with ona i jus add a lil bit of water to the gel and i can stretch a qrt of ona gel for like 2 months....i wouldnt waste your money..........Remember,you get what u pay for.....

so the place i shop is basicaly a wherehouse and they mostly ship products but luckily its close enough for me to just drive there but i cant look at there merchandise in person so i looked on there web site and im confused i didnt see a ona pro that was linen scent they only had regular one pro gel and maybe i just smoked one to many ha:roorrip:

here is a link

Ona Products

and thanks for the help this is a first time so i will take all the help i can get and i appreciate it

thanks for the link :)

My version is quiet and low powered.
I use an old CO2 Boost air pump plugged into an ONA jar. My next version will use the 1 gallon ONA
I use it in combination with a very good exaust system and it eliminates any and all danky odors.
I keep the pump on 24/7. The room does not smell like the ONA but it also does not smell like the sweety & sticky

IMG_09335.JPG

Alright,
I built mine today.. It has 2 ways of using it. I messed up the bucket with too many holes. I will get another bucket and use less hole and make em smaller.

I started with 4" fan (free)
2 Plastic flanges (free)
4" duct $10
2 gallon bucket with lid $5
ona pro gel $20
ona pro block $4
Skunk_5_Grow_0171.JPG

Skunk_5_Grow_0185.JPG

This way I cane place it anywhere I want.
Skunk_5_Grow_023.JPG

This way I can use it as an exhaust fan on top of my cabinet.
Skunk_5_Grow_0212.JPG

Great DIY ------- :thumb: + Reps

Now we're talking! That's perfect for my setup. I'll suck the air out through my diy carbon filter, out of my stealth cab into one of those. Sweet!

Thanks for showing this version..GREAT THREAD!

:peacetwo:

Heck,I'm gonna build one of those for the smell of sewer gas that occassionaly gets in the basement of the late 1800's house I live in.

One of the old drains doesn't have a trap. I can get a real knock you down smell when the warm air starts to migrate up from the storm sewers for a couple of weeks in the fall. Beats the hell out of using a jackhammer indoors,installing a trap and then laying a new section of floor to cure a problem that happens every 2-3 years.

It's not like I'm going to ever sell the place. I'm going to pass it down to my kids just like my aunt stuck me with it and my grandparents did to her.

Who says stoners don't come up with good ideas? That bucket is genius.

Back
Top Bottom