420 Magazine Background

DIY: Rapid Rooters?

Herby Paisley

Hi folks... Was just curious, Has anyone tried to make their own rapid rooter grow plugs? I attempted a method I read about on one of the 420 forums with using peat moss and gelatin with no luck..., I may try using cornstarch as a polymer agent to bind the stuff together to put in the pre -fabricated molds to form the plugs, but I'm a lil skeptical if it will work. So any idea's all are welcome!

Pbass

Hiya Herby Paisley you have any success here? I had some root riot plugs given to me, I really like how the roots propagate through them. I don't think I've had better sprouting success in them than any other medium though. Are you adding any rooting agent to your home made plugs?

Herby Paisley

Hi Pbass ya no luck so far on the DIY rooters , I was adding rooting hormone gel and gelatin to hold it all together, My first batch just crumbled when I took them out of the molds :(... So In the near future I might try more gelatin or maybe try eco friendly white school glue its non toxic, lol what you think of that should I try school glue! :)

Pbass

You know I stumbled across a guy making fuel pucks out of some sort of bio material with a wooden press on youtube the other night, I think I was searching for home made wood presses. I wonder if you use something along those lines to give some high pressure to the mold? That might get the materials to bind better?

Herby Paisley

You know I stumbled across a guy making fuel pucks out of some sort of bio material with a wooden press on youtube the other night, I think I was searching for home made wood presses. I wonder if you use something along those lines to give some high pressure to the mold? That might get the materials to bind better?
I'm gonna give it a go!... Now for a press?... I think I have some scrape wood and a bottle jack somewhere in the shop lol thanks Pbass :)

maker

I try with mix cooked gelatin liquid and coco coir, it failed, too soft and watery, no air pockets inside. I suspect they use much thicker polymer, but to create a spongy cube will take a lot of trials.

Top Bottom