DIY rotating garden on the cheap

Day 13, November 13, 2019

Although hard to see, but the plants are still growing, just look at the size of the white RW holder, it is getting smaller as I have to stay further away from it to get the full plant in the picture.

nov9.jpg

nov13.jpg

November 15, day 15, 2019 Plant no 2

day15nov15.jpg

You will be eating a big bowl of salad before you know it! Seriously though, it's awesome to see it working. Congrats on the growth.
Ha ha ha....you probably are right and thank you Greenlizzard. I used lettuce seeds as those were the only ones I still had. I went to the stores to get some others but the seed companies had already taken back the seed displays with seeds, for them the season was over I guess.
Soon I will do another test and will replace the rock wool with coco coir for use in the drum but need to do some modifications first otherwise the coco will fall out.... no coco....no lettuce.... :laughtwo:

November 19, day 19, 2019

Plants are growing well now, even plant 1, (that I had given up) is coming back. The plants are developing more and more new leaves. I am still using my FIRST batch in the reservoir, Ph. was up only 0.4 and the ppm's were pretty much the same as I started. I think this is because the RW cubes only take nutrients up but don't give back. I have vigorous air bubbles in my reservoir.

nov19day19.jpg

Day 22, November 22, 2019

Plant 2

Three weeks in the drum now, normally it takes 6 – 9 weeks for lettuce to grow. They grow faster and faster, I guess I am not on a bad schedule. I have the feeling they grow better with the white 6500K led’s than with the full spectrum. (I switch so now and then…)
And I did not renew the nutrients until now, but I will renew this weekend, probably I will put a bit more ppm’s in it. Or maybe I just top it off and only add some ppm's.

The drum on the inside stays perfectly dry and clean, the smudge that you see above and under the plant is something I did.

day22nov22.JPG

To get a better feeling of the real size of the leaves, the white PVC under the plant is 100 x 100 mm or 4" x 4"

Day 25, November 25, 2019

Plants 3 & 2, they start to grow the inner leaves more now.

nov25day25_2.jpg

nov25day25_1.jpg

Guess it starts to be time to re-think our grow options for after this.

November 25, 2019

Strain unknown (local…..whatever that means…) Under the dome, grow mat set at 80F, once they root these two will go in the drum.

Let’s hope for the best!
nov25.jpg

How tall can you let them grow in that drum?
That depends I guess. The plan is to top once and train them along the grates that I have installed. In this way I hope that they grow along the inner circumference. What will happen once they stretch is unknown, your guess is as good as mine.

My guess is they will go for the light in the centre. How tall would you like them to grow?
One issue I see with the drum is that the space for the plants are narrowing as they grow taller.

My guess is they will go for the light in the centre. How tall would you like them to grow?
One issue I see with the drum is that the space for the plants are narrowing as they grow taller.

Hopefully something like this would happen, just not with only two plants :cool:
sm_omega_garden_volksgarden_week5_4.jpg

Hopefully something like this would happen, just not with only two plants :cool:
sm_omega_garden_volksgarden_week5_4.jpg
Amazing I can’t wait this is one thread I watch closely

The plants are growing but I think there is too much heat, maybe I have time later today to change the fan because it is too strong, so I am not using it at the moment.
First, let me say your mad scientist mechanical skills are impressive. :thanks: for sharing.

I keep seeing you say "high temps" but nothing definitive...is there a 24/7 temp log for the drum? Also, lettuce and cannabis have a temp sweet spot differential of at least 20F, so maybe you won't need to adjust it too dramatically.

I keep seeing you say "high temps" but nothing definitive...is there a 24/7 temp log for the drum? Also, lettuce and cannabis have a temp sweet spot differential of at least 20F, so maybe you won't need to adjust it too dramatically.

Thanks for the kind words Blew. I have a thermometer in the drum every other day or so and as I am running now, the temp. is around 68F. I could bring that up a bit by lowering the RPM’s of the fan if I want.

nov26_1.jpg

I keep the door open at this moment but put a screen in place where the door is. This works fine for now, the blown air (coming from the back of the drum) can escape easy but with grown up cannabis in the drum I will need to close the door and add a 2nd fan that recirculates the air to the outside. The latter was always meant to be but the 2nd fan was on back order and I couldn’t wait any longer LOL. Eventually I need to install that fan once the 2 @420’s are in.

nov26_2.jpg

This is how it looks right now, it is as fascinating as watching an open fire. :laughtwo: :laughtwo:

nov26_3.jpg

This image shows the air circulation as it is superposed to be. I have a fan installed in the air inlet which "pushes" the air into the drum. But I did not install the second fan at the bottom right, this fan "sucks" the air out of the drum and pushes it outside. Once this second fan is installed, I can close the door and I will be able to regulate the temp. as I want, and if I let the 2nd fan run a bit faster than the other fan, I will create a bit of "under pressure" so I am sure no smell will come into my basement.
4.jpg

Back
Top Bottom