DIY Swamp Bucket Cooler

CanuckGal

My closet grow was having some heat problems with the 400w HPS as light. So to cool the small space down, I built a swamp bucket!

Here's how I made it:

Materials

• Large drink cooler$20
  • Household fan $10
  • Fountain/aquarium pump (mine was 135gph) $30
  • Copper piping $10
  • Plastic tubing $3
  • Plumbers tape $2
  • Plumbing sealant $3]

So I just bought a cheap cooler from Walmart, ideally, you should drill holes in the cooler to fit your tubing, but I just leave it cracked open a bit for the tubing to go out. (I don't have a drill)

Inside the cooler, I have the aquarium pump on the bottom, with the rubber tubing pumping the water out.

Xy5bw.jpg

Then I bought thin copper pipe, it was already coiled, so I just needed to bend it a little to fit it to the face of my fan. I used zip ties to attach the pipe to the face of the fan. The tubing is coming out of the cooler is connected to the copper with plumbers glue, and the other end of the copper pipe, is rubber tubing going back into the cooler to recycle the water.

WMPZn.jpg

I freeze 2L bottles of water, and use two of those about 3 times per day to cool the water running through the fan. The higher power your pump is, the cooler it'll make the room. Also ice definitely keeps the water cooler, it doesn't last as long, and my ice maker can't keep up. That's why I use the 2l bottles full of ice.

gx6gX.jpg

I was wondering how efficiently this thing cools a space? Could you pls give some qualitative review on the cooling effectiveness of the exact thing you made....

Back
Top Bottom